Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

.Clash posted:

I hope the OP gets worse every episode.

Holy poo poo, the changes to the OP are pretty good.

Sakurazuka posted:

Same, though I missed a few of the more subtle ones like the writing on the blackboard.

:stonk:

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Gotta admit, I laughed when the title card appeared just out of the sheer disconnect between the OP and what was happening on screen.

I really like this show. I remember reading the first chapter of the manga a while ago, but it never seemed to be translated further when I checked up on it. Glad it's getting an adaptation.

re: Dog and Megu-nee: I think the dog is definitely alive right now, and if he gets infected later on I'll be legit sad. Megu-nee's definitely dead, but other people have already gone into what I've thought.

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 16, 2015

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

PerrineClostermann posted:

So how far down the rabbit hole does this go?

don't get the implication here

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Mentally broken girl is the only one left.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
I really glad that the delusion stuff was just for the first episode instead of being something used for the whole series. The new OP is pretty great too.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Shovel is the best gakkou gurashi.

DiabloCthulhu
Mar 23, 2013
Btw, here's another fun thing about the series. If you visit the official site between 00:00 am and 04:00 am (you don't have to wait until this time period, you can just do the good ol' "change the time on your PC" trick), you'll get "the dark" version of the site. As an example, here's a comparison between the normal version of the main page and "the dark" version:

Staff sure is having fun making the show.

DiabloCthulhu fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 16, 2015

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Mentally broken girl is the only one left.

Delusions via PTSD seems like a very realistic thing that could happen.

Taromaru seems to have a nose for the undead though. Maybe its distaste for Short Hair girl is foreshadowing something.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

We've been over this thing in the chat thread. It's foreshadowing her bad taste in girls.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
actually yup it's official i love this show it's great i'm gonna watch everyone die and love it

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Moldy Taxes posted:

re: Dog and Megu-nee: I think the dog is definitely alive right now, and if he gets infected later on I'll be legit sad. Megu-nee's definitely dead, but other people have already gone into what I've thought.

Is she dead? She had food with the rest of them. So did the dog. They can't be wasting resources on dead things/people, so they must be alive. Or are they? If Megu-nee is dead, why was it a private study session and not a group lesson since it would be possible with multiple figments of imagination?

I love it when something leaves so much room for speculation. This is a good show that I will watch the whole way through regardless if it becomes terrible.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Is she dead? She had food with the rest of them. So did the dog. They can't be wasting resources on dead things/people, so they must be alive. Or are they? If Megu-nee is dead, why was it a private study session and not a group lesson since it would be possible with multiple figments of imagination?

I love it when something leaves so much room for speculation. This is a good show that I will watch the whole way through regardless if it becomes terrible.

Megu-nee's plate was the last to be cleared away and they never allow you to see if there's still food on it or not.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
If it turns out that Yuki is the only actual real person, I hope the last episode of this show is her, having fallen from her illusions, going totally Dead Rising on the zombies in honor of Kurumi and proving once and for all that a girl's school is her castle

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

They've already showed her grave

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

AnoHito posted:

They've already showed her grave

Or is that shovel-girl's senpai's grave? Him being a zombie and attacking happened on the roof, so its likely that they also buried him on the roof.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
Megu-nee being just a figment of Yuki's imagination didn't really occur to me until after watching the second episode. The possibility that any or all of the remaining cast are just figments and Yuki is the one acting at all times is now firmly stuck in my head.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

I hope this isn't the case. Once you get into LITERALLY NOTHING HAPPENING ON SCREEN IS TRUE territory, all grounding goes out the window, all stakes become meaningless.

To me, this is a story about a bunch of people with protecting and maintaining faith in their crazy friend, in the face of hopeless adversity. I would have ejected Yuki, but that's because I am a coward who leans towards taking the easily rationalised path.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Great intro to episode 2.

:blush: I hope Senpai notices me
:stonk: oh poo poo he noticed me
:black101: I'll notice him first!

I enjoyed it more than the first, but I'm on board to see where this goes. I was following the manga for a while, but so far the changes they've made seem to be for the better. I'm hoping we do see the mall adventure in flashback at some point!

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
There's no way that the other three girls are all in Yuki's imagination, there have been scenes with them when Yuki wasn't present. On the other hand, we only see the dead teacher when Yuki's around.

I hope that they manage to craft a good anime-original ending for this. They've done some good work with original stuff in the first episode (a lot of the subtle hints that something was wrong weren't in the manga), so I think they might actually be able to do that well.

Hadaka Apron fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 17, 2015

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Hadaka Apron posted:

I hope that they manage to craft a good anime-original ending for this. They've done some good work with original stuff in the first episode (a lot of the subtle hints that something was wrong weren't in the manga), so I think they might actually be able to do that well.

They're probably just going to end it with graduation, and I can't really think of another way to end it anyway...

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I can't imagine it wouldn't be graduation. It's a perfect self-contained story if they stop then. The story certainly goes on if they wanted to do another season or something, but you could stop there and not for a second feel like you missed a thing.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Can we please try to keep the manga discussion clearly marked? You guys are discussing the teacher's death so matter-of-factly that I can't help but be very worried...

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I know nothing about the source material and I think it's pretty clear that the teacher is dead from the hints in the first two episodes.

On nicodouga, someone cut out her lines when they were all talking in the end of the first episode and the conversion flowed smoothly as if she wasn't even there. Combine that we no one actually interacting with her/ignoring her until Yuki mentions she's there with them.

Then in the second episode you have Miki looking worried when Yuki says she's going to go do the teacher's one on one lesson. Why should she be worried about that? Then in the library the Club pres tells Yuki to not run off by herself but the teacher went with her so...

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

My favorite little touch is Miki stammering for a second whenever she's forced to interact with Yuki's delusions, making it obvious that she's not quite as used to picking up on the situation as the other two. Also makes it a bit more obvious that the teacher is dead.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

The opening theme song is called "Friend Shitai" which can translate to "Friend's Corpse".

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
The thing I love the most about the Gakkou Gurashi was that it successfully managed to maintain an air of optimism and hope in such a thoroughly grim setting. If Yuki wasn't there, I doubt the others would have lasted a week. Any other zombie show would probably treat her like a burden and a source of weepy angst, but here she's their lifeline. It's something very few, if any, zombie-themed series do well.

alcharagia posted:

actually poo poo, this despair in my chest is not going away, this is why i do not watch zombie animes. what're some good actually-for-real anime moeblob shows so i can be bored into happiness? i've heard good things about non non biyori

If you want cute & funny, you should give Miss Monochrome a chance, too. It's really cute (except when her pet Roomba chokes to death), and the episodes are all around 4 minutes each, so you can marathon the entire first season pretty quickly.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Just watched the first episode and can't help but feel really depressed at their situation. I'll probably continue to watch the series as they back and forth with Yuki's world and reality. Glad I have Non Non Biyori and Working to cheer me up after each episode. :smith:

of bees
Dec 28, 2009
MANGA SPOILERS:

If the dog is alive and Megu-nee is dead, then they're changing things from the manga. Megu-nee was alive when they found the dog in the manga.

As for Miki, I think they will probably just have her rescue be one long flashback, starting with how she ended up in the mall and ending with her coming to the school. I imagine they did this because they wanted to include her in the promo art.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Hidden gem of the season, I think.

I'm glad this made me aware of the existence of the manga.

Speaking of the manga, it's sales have increased by a factor of 10 since the first anime episode aired.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Good, I need the story to continue!

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Inverness posted:

Hidden gem of the season, I think.

I'm glad this made me aware of the existence of the manga.

Speaking of the manga, it's sales have increased by a factor of 10 since the first anime episode aired.

Shovel-chan is best-chan

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

A bonus feature from volume 4 of the manga was just translated. It's not spoilery, so I'll link it here. It's the teacher's diary.

http://bato.to/read/_/334194/gakkou-gurashi_v4_by_zombies-ate-my-manga

Just uh, be careful not to click around too much.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Speaking of the translated extras

The first one should be safe to read if you're caught up with the anime. The second's not too spoilery, but you should probably wait until they get into Miki's backstory. The last's definitely not safe until much later.

I blitz through the translated chapters, and I'm really anxious to see where some of the things they've set up go.

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 22, 2015

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
From that first extra:

quote:

1968: This year, Danto's population was cut in half. It was later called Danto's Night.

1968 was the year that Night of the Living Dead came out.

Oh, and also this:

quote:

Looking overseas, Professor H from K University compared Danto with the islands of West India, and noted that there may have indeed been an exchange of culture between the two.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I noticed in the OP during the part where there's a silhouette of Yuki running, the parts inside it are all normal, while the rest of the screen shows up as it really is:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Megu-nee is a good teacher

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Pretty much all of this episode is anime-original. The buildup is really good though.

EDIT: Looks like next week we see how Mii ended up joining them.

EDIT2: Am I imagining things or did that thing with Yuki a couple posts up not show up until this episode's OP? I think they're slowly having the zombie stuff take over the OP. I could swear I saw some extra frames of zombie students in a classroom.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 24, 2015

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

The zombie students and the Yuki silhouette in the OP started in episode 2.

Also yeah, the buildup before the roof scene are all anime original, but it helped build the tension and dread to what you know is going to happen. I liked it a lot.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Haven't read the manga and I'm really excited to see the heights of despair that I hope it reaches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I am not sure what this is trying to point out. Although I've only gotten past episode one so far.

I really hope this series plays up the middle of the (Moeblob Slice-of-Life) ∪ (Horror Zombie Apocalypse) Venn diagram, because it's not very notable otherwise. Relying too much on one set or the other makes it lose everything interesting about the setup.

• Locked thread