Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I'm kind of bummed that this episode only delayed the inevitable, but I'm happy we got a breather for all of the poo poo that's coming down the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yuki once again providing possibly life saving guidance with cleaning the water tank, geez.

I do really wonder what could possibly be useful in the shelter; supplies and spare parts would be nice but what they really need to do is somehow make their way to a remote island where they can subsist without relying on machines that will inevitably break or a powered long range communication device.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yuki once again providing possibly life saving guidance with cleaning the water tank, geez.

I do really wonder what could possibly be useful in the shelter; supplies and spare parts would be nice but what they really need to do is somehow make their way to a remote island where they can subsist without relying on machines that will inevitably break or a powered long range communication device.

I'm not sure these girls have the survival experience necessary to survive on a remote island.

And a long range communication device might not do any good if everyone else is dead....

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Artificer posted:

I'm not sure these girls have the survival experience necessary to survive on a remote island.

And a long range communication device might not do any good if everyone else is dead....

Well yeah. Without any other survivors the human race is extinct and pretty much it's pointless other than to live until you get sick, injured, starve, or caught.

So far though based on some theory crafting it would be several weeks for the nearest currently stationed Aircraft carrier to steam on ahead from its base in the US; it seems somewhat unlikely for the whole world to be a gonner yet but if there's a lack of FM signals that's a very bad sign.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

Well yeah. Without any other survivors the human race is extinct and pretty much it's pointless other than to live until you get sick, injured, starve, or caught.

So far though based on some theory crafting it would be several weeks for the nearest currently stationed Aircraft carrier to steam on ahead from its base in the US; it seems somewhat unlikely for the whole world to be a gonner yet but if there's a lack of FM signals that's a very bad sign.

That's true I guess. We still don't know how this whole thing started. Obviously if a bio bomb went off then the girls would've been screwed too, so.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Oh god, anime. Just let it happen already... :negative:

Raenir Salazar posted:

In the manga, they discover that their school wasn't the only educational institution that survived.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Artificer posted:

That's true I guess. We still don't know how this whole thing started. Obviously if a bio bomb went off then the girls would've been screwed too, so.

A bio weapon that turns people into zombies is highly ineffective though. A long incubation, low symptom agent can devastate high population areas due to no one noticing until a massive chunk of the population is already infected. A short, loud agent like zombies (or real world example, Ebola) may be initially devastating, but even with it's impressive mortality rates outbreaks are stamped out fast. Zombie/Ebola is really easy to detect before spreading to others outside of the initial outbreak. Compare that to the flu. A weaponized agent using influenza as a transmission vector could wipe out entire population centers before people even figured out it wasn't just the flu. After the initial fall of the population centers (and a majority of medical staff who were exposed to the initial wave of the agent), the effectiveness of such a weapon would still be quite potent due to human nature and paranoia. "Was that sniffle due to allergies, or is this person a possible carrier?" "We can't take any chances"

Making zombies is just a waste of a possible effective weapon. If you're going to wipe out a population, why replace it with a significantly more dangerous population? To what end is a city/country filled with highly infectious, aggressive, worthless husks of former humans a more attractive solution than killing everyone cleanly for minimal infrastructure damage, or keeping them around as means of production/cheap labor? Putting zombies into play if it's for any sort of military use will only entrench the survivors causing an even longer, drawn out effort to take control of an area.

And that's why I can't play Resident Evil 2 anymore.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
On the other hand I don't think most of the NBC's developed are really all that effective beyond their value as deterrence.

Didn't Day of the Triffids have a similar issue that they lampshaded and explained?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I suppose it could be useful, if you wanted to tie down enemy forces to the area clearing out zombies, enforcing quarantine, and protecting survivors because you don't have the forces to take over and occupy it conventionally.

This version of the zombie plague seems to cause zombification fairly quickly (a matter of hours for a small bite wound, perhaps even minutes for seriously mauled individuals) so risk of infected refugees escaping the area before turning seems low. Japan might be seriously affected but the wider world should be fine...

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tarezax posted:

I suppose it could be useful, if you wanted to tie down enemy forces to the area clearing out zombies, enforcing quarantine, and protecting survivors because you don't have the forces to take over and occupy it conventionally.

This version of the zombie plague seems to cause zombification fairly quickly (a matter of hours for a small bite wound, perhaps even minutes for seriously mauled individuals) so risk of infected refugees escaping the area before turning seems low. Japan might be seriously affected but the wider world should be fine...

The beginnings of the outbreak weren't all that fleshed out afaict, so it's not clear if it's one individual or a few or more who were affected and then began to zombify suddenly or something.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ah, gently caress, I thought she'd be down there as a zombie ever since Yuki "saw" her go through the door and there she is. Still got me though. This show is good at doing what you expect but still hitting you hard with it.

I'm glad Miki and Taroumaru made up though. Just in time for everything to get (more) hosed.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS_kqPlZzGs

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

Well that was certainly amazing.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Well that was a wonderful video.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

loving Taroumaru killed me. That was incredible.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
okay that was an amazing thing to wake up to

Also I'd gotten the impression the zombie outbreak was some sort of incredibly terrible internal test by Japan's government on their own population to both see how effective it would be and how well potential self-sufficient shelters would hold up. The school has its advantages and disadvantages over an underground bunker - while it's riskier and not as secure, it seems much easier to keep a watch out for enemies as well as easier to leave safely if that's needed, you can more easily access the utilities that work a bit better because the rooftop is kind of an okay semi-self sufficient ecosystem, sorta, and, well, it's a school so it's less likely to be directly bombed.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
One thing that's bothered me: I can't recall if either source has explicitly said how long it's been from the beginning of everything until now, but how is everything so damaged? It almost looks like it's been years judging by some of the buildings. Like, every window in the school looks to be broken, the exterior walls are cracked, and the mall's sign is in pieces. Was there also an earthquake or something? Seems like a pretty crappy week.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

One of the lesser known side effects of zombification is delinquency, causing them to throw rocks at windows and spray blood on the ceiling.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
When disaster strikes, the windows are always the first thing to go.

This is so charming.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
this show is loving me right up

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Antitonic posted:

One thing that's bothered me: I can't recall if either source has explicitly said how long it's been from the beginning of everything until now, but how is everything so damaged? It almost looks like it's been years judging by some of the buildings. Like, every window in the school looks to be broken, the exterior walls are cracked, and the mall's sign is in pieces. Was there also an earthquake or something? Seems like a pretty crappy week.

I've wondered the same things. The amount of weathering on the structures we're seeing in the series would take decades, not months.

My feeling is that the animators just looked at reference pictures of bombed out and long abandoned buildings, not recently abandoned buildings.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The weathering is one thing, but the windows are probably at least partially attributable to the widespread fighting during the early-mid phases of the outbreak where people would have been swinging around things like chairs to try and fend off zombies.

I think it's been somewhere between a few weeks and a couple months since the outbreak.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009
It's definitely been less than a year, I remember at one point (I can't remember if the anime has gotten to this point yet, so SPOILERS) they talked about the upcoming winter and having to prepare for the cold, so at the absolute most (assuming the outbreak happened in the spring) it's been 8-ish months. Just going by the uniforms, though, I think it happened in the summer months (either June or August, when the kids would be in school but using their summer uniforms) and it's starting to turn to fall, so anywhere from 1-3 months have passed.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Well, the other shoe just dropped

It's funny, after watching episode 10, all of the elements are present for a rather catastrophic anime-only bad end. But I can't tell if they're all actually going to die or if this is just stacking the odds really high so that Yuki can come out of this looking like a real hero if she manages to save the day. It's a pretty neat trick to keep things interesting for people familiar with the manga

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

God drat it :(

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Never before has an OP filled me such dread, but even then I wasn't prepared for everything that happened. :smith:

InspectorCarbonara fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 10, 2015

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

This was the cutest episode yet, and totally made up for the swimsuit episode (which I fast-forwarded through anyway). The OP (and ED too, now!) continues to not disappoint. (Anyone catch the blood on Yuki's hat at the end of the OP?)

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

blastron posted:

This was the cutest episode yet, and totally made up for the swimsuit episode (which I fast-forwarded through anyway). The OP (and ED too, now!) continues to not disappoint. (Anyone catch the blood on Yuki's hat at the end of the OP?)

Swimsuits are good though

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Namtab posted:

Swimsuits are good though

Yeah, it was a good episode and had a lot of emotional build up for this one. I don't know why you'd skip it.

This was also a good episode. A lot of things are changing from the manga, and honestly this version of events feels a lot more tense and messed up.

Looks like they won't be covering the fire and graduation, but they seem to be transplanting some of the plot stuff from there. Like Yuki getting serious and arming up with the baseball bat. Only this time, it looks like she'll actually have to fight.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Shits hitting the fan fast now in a very concerning and possibly hopeless fashion.

Looks like someone observed correctly about the flimsy barricades.

e: This show has been surprisingly good at following through on various common sense survival scenario things.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 10, 2015

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Anime only bad end. Only one survives and gets rescued. That's what I'm wagering.

I need to watch something more uplifting. Like Ranpo Kitan and it serial killers.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I don't think I've ever had a TV show's opening hit me nearly as hard as this episode's did. When that bone wasn't caught, I winced.

I had to take a short break from reading the manga at this point. Zombie Megu-nee being revealed and biting Kurumi hit me like a ton of bricks.

Xelkelvos posted:

Anime only bad end.

I'm betting against this, mainly because the manga is still going and they have every reason to keep this series going with it. If you want to talk about bleak, though, the next episode is probably going to have Miki killing Megu-nee and Taroumaru!

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I am a little sad that one thing got changed from the manga. Instead of Taroumaru being lost, Kurumi checks it out because Miki found the emergency guide by herself and pointed out all the supplies down there. So when she gets bit Yuri starts blaming Miki, the newcomer who ruined everything. That tension and Miki's attempt at redemption by going for the medicine alone was great.

On the other hand this alternative with significantly more :shibe: is also pretty good.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Taromaru walking with Megu-nee in the ED really got to me. Show hit's hard even when you know what's coming, man :(

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Dogs, the black people of the animal world, always the first to die

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Dogs, the black people of the animal world, always the first to die

Well, my sadness is tempered by the fact that the dog ran off on his own dumb self.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The funny thing about Taroumaru is that the implication here is that Ms. Sakura bit him. I dunno, maybe it's just me, but the idea of a fully grown woman zombie biting a tiny shiba dog (and only enought o infect him, not enough to leave him half eaten) is pretty amusing

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
She's still a lady, you take nibbles not bites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Artificer posted:

Well, my sadness is tempered by the fact that the dog ran off on his own dumb self.

• Locked thread