Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

I am not sure what this is trying to point out. Although I've only gotten past episode one so far.

I really hope this series plays up the middle of the (Moeblob Slice-of-Life) ∪ (Horror Zombie Apocalypse) Venn diagram, because it's not very notable otherwise. Relying too much on one set or the other makes it lose everything interesting about the setup.

A lot of series like this definitely lives or dies by how much they straddle the line between one or the other. Upotte ended falling a little to much on the guns side of its balance and probably an untold number of Moe SoLs that sorta forgot about its other half. The worst thing though is if it runs off of the rails or starts oscillating wildly between its two halves like C3-bu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Well, caught up with ep 3, and so far, so good. It doesn't seem horribly unbalanced between one or the other, but then again, I'm not a fan of moe, so maybe others will see it differently. Would love to see how crazy it can get by straddling that border.

EDIT: Caught up with the manga translations. Very crazy. Let's hope the early episodes aren't indicative of a massive rework. Although, there's no way they'll cover enough ground in 12 episodes...

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 24, 2015

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pollyanna posted:

I am not sure what this is trying to point out. Although I've only gotten past episode one so far.

I really hope this series plays up the middle of the (Moeblob Slice-of-Life) ∪ (Horror Zombie Apocalypse) Venn diagram, because it's not very notable otherwise. Relying too much on one set or the other makes it lose everything interesting about the setup.

The thread's only four pages, man. Give it a read. The implication is that the fourth panel is wide enough that the other girls should be visible, but they're not.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Pollyanna posted:

Well, caught up with ep 3, and so far, so good. It doesn't seem horribly unbalanced between one or the other, but then again, I'm not a fan of moe, so maybe others will see it differently. Would love to see how crazy it can get by straddling that border.

EDIT: Caught up with the manga translations. Very crazy. Let's hope the early episodes aren't indicative of a massive rework. Although, there's no way they'll cover enough ground in 12 episodes...

They don't seem to be messing too much with things, just rearranging some bits here at the beginning and animating some things from the extras. I think overall this is going to be a very faithful adaptation.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Holy gently caress this anime is hosed up.

Also I can't help but be annoyed at Yuki. Her yelling and running around is gonna get them all eaten/killed one day.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Yuki is very powerful.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

For real though, when Yuki is rescued in the library by the others, she's last seen cuddled up to MeguNee. But when she is rescued, MeguNee is nowhere to be seen until Yuki directs attention at her.

:stare:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Artificer posted:

For real though, when Yuki is rescued in the library by the others, she's last seen cuddled up to MeguNee. But when she is rescued, MeguNee is nowhere to be seen until Yuki directs attention at her.

:stare:

The scene in the mango was more powerful, I think.

Spoilers: http://i.imgur.com/6f6lizF.jpg

Megu-nee actually leaves her to go deal with the zombies

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

PerrineClostermann posted:

The scene in the mango was more powerful, I think.

Spoilers: http://i.imgur.com/6f6lizF.jpg

Megu-nee actually leaves her to go deal with the zombies

I thought the other girls went in to save the day? Huh. Wow yeah they are changing things up.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Artificer posted:

I thought the other girls went in to save the day? Huh. Wow yeah they are changing things up.

Kind of. It's left ambiguous in the comic, they don't show what happens to the zombie/ghost/student who stayed after school

Spoiler: http://i.imgur.com/cu3Tjiv.jpg

Though you might notice Kurumi has blood on her shirt, which suggests she killed it here as well

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I honestly remember reading the manga and being pretty unclear of the sequence of events regarding Ms. Sakura. At different times I thought she must have vanished during the excursion to the store/library, during the camping event, and when Yuki was trappedin the bathroom (Yuki's flashback probably aided to that line of thought) but in retrospect she's gone before the series starts.

I'm still kinda making grumpy noises at some of the choices that the show has made but episode 3 was different in a good way. Also I guess this technically means it passes the three episode test, so...

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Moldy Taxes posted:

The zombie students and the Yuki silhouette in the OP started in episode 2.

The OP is absolutely brilliant with the juxtaposition of the upbeat and cheerful song and slice of life elements with zombies and the zombie apocalypse. The title scene panning to and scene elements transitioning to the zombies is my favorite.

Sky :sun:
Clock tower :)
Stained walls :raise:
Broken windows :stare:
Zombies :wtf: :stonk:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Something to note about the theme song

It's titled ふ れ ん ど し た い : Friend Shitai
Which in any other show could be taken to simply mean "Let's be friends"
But shitai is a homophone that also means corpse :zombie:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Edward IV posted:

The OP is absolutely brilliant with the juxtaposition of the upbeat and cheerful song and slice of life elements with zombies and the zombie apocalypse. The title scene panning to and scene elements transitioning to the zombies is my favorite.

Sky :sun:
Clock tower :)
Stained walls :raise:
Broken windows :stare:
Zombies :wtf: :stonk:

I haven't seen such a bait and switch since Shadowstar NaruTaru

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
Holy crap this show is horrifying. Megu-nee is dead/a delusion, isn't she? The other girls weren't reacting properly in conversations with her. Goddamn. :(

Brownieftw
Nov 23, 2011

Fluff master

Kellanved posted:

Holy crap this show is horrifying. Megu-nee is dead/a delusion, isn't she? The other girls weren't reacting properly in conversations with her. Goddamn. :(

Manga spoilers ahead:Yes. yes she is.Iirc I believe they actually find her later in the story
Non-spoiler bits aside, this seems like it's going to be a pretty good adaptation, even with things changed around a bit.
VVVVV I probably should have thought of that.

Brownieftw fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 25, 2015

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i don't care much about spoilers, so i'm not really mad, but you should probably tag whether you're talking about manga spoilers or most recent episode spoilers

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Cake Attack posted:

i don't care much about spoilers, so i'm not really mad, but you should probably tag whether you're talking about manga spoilers or most recent episode spoilers

Good looking out, Takeo.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

Kellanved posted:

More specifically, MANGA SPOILERS: if how I read it is right, she survived the initial outbreak but died later, when she tried to get rid of the dog (which had been bitten by a zombie and was turning into a zombie). I hope the anime clears it up a bit, but if they made it so the dog is alive now, they might have changed how she dies.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I'm actually dreading the back half of the anime if they decide to adapt up until graduation. I really both want to see and really don't want to see certain things animated. (manga) Zombie Megu-nee and Yuki's breakdown among them :(

Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut

of bees posted:

More specifically, MANGA SPOILERS: if how I read it is right, she survived the initial outbreak but died later, when she tried to get rid of the dog (which had been bitten by a zombie and was turning into a zombie). I hope the anime clears it up a bit, but if they made it so the dog is alive now, they might have changed how she dies.
Manga spoilers: I don't think it was due to the dog, from the flashbacks it certainly didn't seem like it. A few different flashbacks illustrate how she was obsessed with getting them into the basement bunker where it'd be safe. She probably got impatient.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Kellanved posted:

I thought they were playing this up from the very first episode and got very confused by the first two thirds of this one. Kind of wish it wasn't so and the kids were just very very passive aggressive.

Hat-chan using her as a self-defense mechanism in the library was loving amazing though. This show is fascinating, though I deeply resent the moeblobs. I feel like I'm constantly wondering what this joke done in HSOTD style would be like.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Moe is cool and good though.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

kater posted:

I feel like I'm constantly wondering what this joke done in HSOTD style would be like.

High School of the Dead is a bad show with a worse art style than this show

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Moeblobs are the best you pleb

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

moeplebs

kater
Nov 16, 2010

All you care about is moe. Anime deserves a better class of traumatized school children.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I think this show would be worse in a non-moe art style because the moeness serves as an effective contrast to the grim and grittiness of the actual zombie content. Also, High School of the Dead is a bad show.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

alcharagia posted:

High School of the Dead is a bad show with a worse art style than this show

High School of the Dead and Gakko Gurashi are both good, just like Robert Rodriguez's Planet Terror and that Arnold Schwarzenegger "My daughter's a zombie" movie are both good

Also I think the show could be done in a slightly less moe style that would maybe look better when the grim poo poo happens. Imagine something that was less Yuru Yuri and more a Kyoto Animation production.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Yuru Yuri can do gore and horror pretty well:

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Yuru Yuri can do gore and horror pretty well:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

kater posted:

All you care about is moe. Anime deserves a better class of traumatized school children.

Yes, no

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

OnimaruXLR posted:

I think the show could be done in a slightly less moe style that would maybe look better when the grim poo poo happens. Imagine something that was less Yuru Yuri and more a Kyoto Animation production.

It feels to me like the anime plays up some of the cutesy laid back moe-ness more than the manga does. So maybe check that out and it might be more your cup of tea.

But I get what you mean. I was disappointed when none of Kurumi's killing blows were blood filled splatterfests in the second episode.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Trihugger posted:

It feels to me like the anime plays up some of the cutesy laid back moe-ness more than the manga does. So maybe check that out and it might be more your cup of tea.

But I get what you mean. I was disappointed when none of Kurumi's killing blows were blood filled splatterfests in the second episode.

The manga is definitely more bloody than the anime so far, but I really liked how they handled Kurumi shoveling her zombified senpai. If they're going to tone down the blood for the anime, then it'll be interesting to see how they handle the next episode, not to mention... :smith:

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Moe is cool and good though.

This is correct.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Oh man, the look on her face:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Inverness posted:

That's a pretty great :stonk:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Inverness posted:

manga spoilers kinda:

http://i.imgur.com/sYwvoW8.jpg

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Man this is such a shitshow. The loving trauma in those poor girls' faces.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Memories broken, the truth goes unspoken. I've even forgotten my name!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

Kaelan Zero posted:

Manga spoilers: I don't think it was due to the dog, from the flashbacks it certainly didn't seem like it. A few different flashbacks illustrate how she was obsessed with getting them into the basement bunker where it'd be safe. She probably got impatient.

More manga spoilers: I thought that the dog had been bitten and was going to turn into a zombie, so Megu-nee went to dispose of it, and that was when she got attacked by zombies. The students didn't seem to even know what had happened to her until she turned up in the bunker.

• Locked thread