Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Is it me, or does the art in the show look a great deal more cutesy? The characters all look younger as a result. And the dog went from looking like a kinda stylized dog to looking like a mascot character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
So now that I've seen the second episode, I feel a bit more comfortable complaining about this thing I wanted to complain about earlier on. Manga stuff ahead so y'know, don't click on it anime-only people

The way they're presenting Yuki's delusions really rubs me wrong. I mean granted, there's a chance they can show them gradually giving way to reality when she's faced with a more dangerous situation later, but by presenting them as so... sort of... vividly? Persistent? It feels like it's making her seem extra oblivious. It really gives the impression that she genuinely believes what she sees instead of indulging in a fantasy to make life more livable.

Granted it's an adaptation, so changing stuff is fair game, and maybe my sour grapes will be addressed as the show goes on, but for now... The idea of someone who has had a full on mental collapse is a lot harder to relate to than someone who is pretending things are okay to avoid being miserable all the time.

That being said, some excellent use of music and sound effects in episode 2 yall

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I honestly remember reading the manga and being pretty unclear of the sequence of events regarding Ms. Sakura. At different times I thought she must have vanished during the excursion to the store/library, during the camping event, and when Yuki was trappedin the bathroom (Yuki's flashback probably aided to that line of thought) but in retrospect she's gone before the series starts.

I'm still kinda making grumpy noises at some of the choices that the show has made but episode 3 was different in a good way. Also I guess this technically means it passes the three episode test, so...

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Something to note about the theme song

It's titled ふ れ ん ど し た い : Friend Shitai
Which in any other show could be taken to simply mean "Let's be friends"
But shitai is a homophone that also means corpse :zombie:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

alcharagia posted:

High School of the Dead is a bad show with a worse art style than this show

High School of the Dead and Gakko Gurashi are both good, just like Robert Rodriguez's Planet Terror and that Arnold Schwarzenegger "My daughter's a zombie" movie are both good

Also I think the show could be done in a slightly less moe style that would maybe look better when the grim poo poo happens. Imagine something that was less Yuru Yuri and more a Kyoto Animation production.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I used to think I hated moe, but now I realize that moe is a lot like gore or boobs in that it's totally super boring by itself but can be fine when used as a single element in a multi layered thing, like moe in a stressful workplace or moe in a zombie apocalypse.

moe "comedies" are terrible though

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Episode 6 does a good job of demonstrating how :stare: an outsider would be upon coming in contact with Yuki.

Also more really good implementation of BGM

I'm also wondering, in terms of differences from the manga, now that Miki is already relatively taken in by Yuki, with her asking to join the club, I get the feeling Taroumaru's infection will be where Yuki proves she's not the dangerous dead weight that she comes off as in the anime. I mean yes, she's still the mood maker that makes everyone happy, but she's also a bit extra crazy, so I get the feeling the TV series climax is going to be a moment where she shows that she's not quite the slave to her delusions she seems to be

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

thanks for spoiling the op for the last episode jerk

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
That was up there with the first episode for "leave it on in the background and wait for interesting audio cues to pay attention"

Something I have to wonder about Taromaru's fate. Generally speaking, zombie outbreaks don't result in infected animals; probably because a world with that kind of super communicable zombie virus is about 5x more dangerous than one where it only effects humans. I mean, they do in Resident Evil, but that's honestly the only series I can think of off the top of my head.

Maybe the anime will reflect this?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Well, the other shoe just dropped

It's funny, after watching episode 10, all of the elements are present for a rather catastrophic anime-only bad end. But I can't tell if they're all actually going to die or if this is just stacking the odds really high so that Yuki can come out of this looking like a real hero if she manages to save the day. It's a pretty neat trick to keep things interesting for people familiar with the manga

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The funny thing about Taroumaru is that the implication here is that Ms. Sakura bit him. I dunno, maybe it's just me, but the idea of a fully grown woman zombie biting a tiny shiba dog (and only enought o infect him, not enough to leave him half eaten) is pretty amusing

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm gonna talk about the new chapter in here because why the hell not, and it's not scanlated yet

-Yuuri is clinging to old habits in an attempt to maintain mental equilibrium, on top of her delusional little sister evolving. Her situation makes an interesting contrast with Yuki's from early on; I have to wonder if Miki is going to recognize some of the red flags that she didn't see in Yuki happening with Yuuri
-Yuki has a dream for the future, but it's treated as some dumb secret. Miki thinks she can do it though, so it probably involves being some kinda nurture-y helper-y person thing
-There's a student living in the library whose dream is to read all the books in the college's collection, who makes jokes about being relieved how the zombie apocalypse will ensure no new books are published, which makes her dream a lot more achievable. Miki gives her a photocopied version of their graduation album and suggests that while old books are nice, she thinks that it'd be nice if there were still new books too. The conversation seems to hint that Miki is considering the big picture (again) and thinking seriously about gathering more survivors and supplies, which will probably rub the slovenly college students the wrong way, and possibly cause direct conflict with the xenophobic trigger happy weirdos from the other side of the campus

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Now that it's all said and done... I don't quite think I like this adaptation.

It's not complete garbage. The use of music and sound in particular was pretty rad in parts. The problems I have weren't done just to make sure the story worked better for a 13 episode series, it was more like... They were sanding the edges off? They wanted to make sure the moe parts were extra moe? And it negatively affected a lot of the cast because of it. They took Miki's character and turned her into a mopey underclassman instead of the serious-minded disruptive presence that causes some mild sparks to fly with the other girls. They also took the most memorable demonstration of Yuuri's inner demons out, like Demicol said. Then there's Yuki's delusions being less like a disposable facade that she keeps up to stay happy and more like a capital D DELUSION. This sucks a lot of the coolness out of those characters for me. Then there's the weird way that Taroumaru is treated, running around like an annoying mascot character for nearly the entire series just to have a tragic zombiefication that is then undone... just so he can die anyway?

And I think that's emblematic of my beef with this adaptation. There's a lot of cliche misty-eyed Japanese sentimentality that replaces the "This is the harsh reality that we are coping with" attitude that the comic has. I'm not asking for a endless misery trudge like the Walking Dead, but I really like how the source material strikes a balance, telling an intense, often dark story without quite tipping all the way over into serial doom, but also while not underselling how messed up things are.

There were little dumb plot things that annoyed me too, like the fact that the slow zombie of a not particularly athletic woman apparently took ONE BITE of the tiny speed dog that we had been seeing outmanuever 4 non-zombified girls for the entire series, or the contrived reason for getting the dog into the shelter, or the fact the zombies were beaten by a heartfelt plea about how great high school is ISN'T IT SO GREAT YOU GUYS I LOVE BEING A HIGH SCHOOL KID IN JAPAN ANYTHING ELSE IS BASICALLY LIKE BEING A ZOMBIE ANYWAY RIGHT!?!?! But mostly it's the tone and character stuff. Also, the last episode didn't even have a final, completely apocalyptic version of the opening sequence, which was probably the thing I anticipated the most every week!

anyway it wasn't total garbage but I'd take the manga over it in a heartbeat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Paracelsus posted:

I think this is misunderstanding what happened a bit.

Eh I get that's what the plot logic of what happened, but it FELT to me like that annoying poo poo I said due to delivery

• Locked thread