Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

OnimaruXLR posted:

I think the show could be done in a slightly less moe style that would maybe look better when the grim poo poo happens. Imagine something that was less Yuru Yuri and more a Kyoto Animation production.

It feels to me like the anime plays up some of the cutesy laid back moe-ness more than the manga does. So maybe check that out and it might be more your cup of tea.

But I get what you mean. I was disappointed when none of Kurumi's killing blows were blood filled splatterfests in the second episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Command Ant posted:

As for Yuri, she held it together pretty well until Kurumi almost turned and the helicopter crash. Those two things happening one after the other hit her hard, but she really started slipping when she remembered her sister.

There is a lot of talk about who and what is real so I guess this is some more speculation in that vein. Remember what Miki said about Yuri and Yuki's relationship being a co-dependency? Well, with Yuki getting more capable, I think Yuri started looking for someone else to take care of. She needs to take care of someone helpless. I don't think Yuri ever had a sister. She made her up in a delusional stupor.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
This sums up how I felt about the anime at the start. I had to seperate myself from the manga while watching, because I seriously considered dropping the anime after how they did the Miki and Kei episode.

In the manga, Kei was Miki's protector while Miki was naive and always following Kei. That's hugely important for understanding why Miki acts the way she does. Being forced to survive on her own (without Taromaru) hardened Miki a lot. She tries to do everything from helping Rii with bookeeping, hunt zombies with Kurumi, and babysit Yuki. Because in order to survive on your own you have to be able to do everything. But at the same time she's still that scared naive girl that's just looking to follow Kei.

And none of that made it into the anime. The anime is good, but yeah, it's a lot different in tone and character from the manga.

• Locked thread