Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

ViggyNash posted:

By gimmick I mean the mc girl living in her own world inside her head. It made for a great bait-and-switch intro to the show, but that's a one-use opportunity.

Just going by the manga, you don't ever see the world through that girl's delusional eyes again, IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

Walking outside, breaking barriers, attracting attention from outside, or getting turned by something they couldn't see. These are all possibilities.

Yuki is less of a liability than she seems, just going by the conversation after she leaves the clubroom.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Retro Access posted:

I went in blind and we were just making fun of it the whole way through.

"Why is she allowed to take her dog to school?"

- "Because it's moe."

"She wouldn't be allowed to wear that stupid hat either."

- "She could wear a whole fursuit if enough people watching thought it was moe enough."

Ten minutes later:

"What in the actual gently caress?"

Don't ask me why we were watching it, we can't stand moe stuff. I honestly don't really know. I think my husband was drunk, that might explain it. Plus, no stupid fan service or incest made us turn it off so somehow we got through it. I think maybe we were waiting for the real reason why they were allowed to do all that stuff at school, and I guess we got it.

This is the kind of reaction I was hoping to see. :laugh:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Is she dead? She had food with the rest of them. So did the dog. They can't be wasting resources on dead things/people, so they must be alive. Or are they? If Megu-nee is dead, why was it a private study session and not a group lesson since it would be possible with multiple figments of imagination?

I love it when something leaves so much room for speculation. This is a good show that I will watch the whole way through regardless if it becomes terrible.

Megu-nee's plate was the last to be cleared away and they never allow you to see if there's still food on it or not.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

A bonus feature from volume 4 of the manga was just translated. It's not spoilery, so I'll link it here. It's the teacher's diary.

http://bato.to/read/_/334194/gakkou-gurashi_v4_by_zombies-ate-my-manga

Just uh, be careful not to click around too much.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Pretty much all of this episode is anime-original. The buildup is really good though.

EDIT: Looks like next week we see how Mii ended up joining them.

EDIT2: Am I imagining things or did that thing with Yuki a couple posts up not show up until this episode's OP? I think they're slowly having the zombie stuff take over the OP. I could swear I saw some extra frames of zombie students in a classroom.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 24, 2015

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Well, caught up with ep 3, and so far, so good. It doesn't seem horribly unbalanced between one or the other, but then again, I'm not a fan of moe, so maybe others will see it differently. Would love to see how crazy it can get by straddling that border.

EDIT: Caught up with the manga translations. Very crazy. Let's hope the early episodes aren't indicative of a massive rework. Although, there's no way they'll cover enough ground in 12 episodes...

They don't seem to be messing too much with things, just rearranging some bits here at the beginning and animating some things from the extras. I think overall this is going to be a very faithful adaptation.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Inverness posted:

Oh man, the look on her face:

That's a pretty great :stonk:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

We're flashing back to how Miki ended up joining everybody this week and the next. This show has just enough levity to make the depressing parts hurt all the more.

The different ED song was pretty good too.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Speaking of the kuruma, Megu-nee suddenly appears in the back seat despite not showing up with the girls at the entrance. She dead.(if there was ever any doubt left)

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

I bet zombies attack their own reflections in the windows. They seem pretty easy to confuse in this setting.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

The anime seems to be changing a bunch of stuff but it's still keeping the general thread of events the same. I think they're overdoing it a bit on the moe though.

Speaking of which, next episode is the obligatory swimsuit episode, which is totally absent from the manga.

Still no indication of the outside world, I'm slightly disappointed in that

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

3 new chapters of the manga just got uploaded

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Gakkou-Gurashi

gently caress I wish this was up on Batoto right now, kissmanga's hosting is blocked in China and my proxy program is acting up :negative:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Tarezax posted:

gently caress I wish this was up on Batoto right now, kissmanga's hosting is blocked in China and my proxy program is acting up :negative:

I got it to load.

Haha, they got to play Splatoon. I wonder if they can still connect to the internet? That would be pretty big.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

I suppose it could be useful, if you wanted to tie down enemy forces to the area clearing out zombies, enforcing quarantine, and protecting survivors because you don't have the forces to take over and occupy it conventionally.

This version of the zombie plague seems to cause zombification fairly quickly (a matter of hours for a small bite wound, perhaps even minutes for seriously mauled individuals) so risk of infected refugees escaping the area before turning seems low. Japan might be seriously affected but the wider world should be fine...

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

The fact that it's a deliberate instead of accidental bioweapon makes a few if the odder things about these zombies make sense, like the fact that they're relatively unmolested (the zombies, not the girls). In a 'normal' zombie apocalypse the things tend to rip apart their victims or tear off huge chunks as they feed. These don't do that, as far as we can tell they bite once, deep enough to spread the plague, then let go. I mean, Megu is like twice the size of any of them, if she wanted to bite a girl to death that's what would have happened, instead there's one bite.

Now if the manga contradicts any of this I'd like to know, because I can see them toning things down for television, but otherwise this is the closest thing to a bloodless zombie plague you'd get right now.

Image in the manga, with clearly missing parts of arms:

That's about as bad as it gets though, IIRC. No crawling torsos.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

You can do it Yuki! Save your friends! :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

• Locked thread