Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
The thing I love the most about the Gakkou Gurashi was that it successfully managed to maintain an air of optimism and hope in such a thoroughly grim setting. If Yuki wasn't there, I doubt the others would have lasted a week. Any other zombie show would probably treat her like a burden and a source of weepy angst, but here she's their lifeline. It's something very few, if any, zombie-themed series do well.

alcharagia posted:

actually poo poo, this despair in my chest is not going away, this is why i do not watch zombie animes. what're some good actually-for-real anime moeblob shows so i can be bored into happiness? i've heard good things about non non biyori

If you want cute & funny, you should give Miss Monochrome a chance, too. It's really cute (except when her pet Roomba chokes to death), and the episodes are all around 4 minutes each, so you can marathon the entire first season pretty quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Trihugger posted:

It feels to me like the anime plays up some of the cutesy laid back moe-ness more than the manga does. So maybe check that out and it might be more your cup of tea.

But I get what you mean. I was disappointed when none of Kurumi's killing blows were blood filled splatterfests in the second episode.

The manga is definitely more bloody than the anime so far, but I really liked how they handled Kurumi shoveling her zombified senpai. If they're going to tone down the blood for the anime, then it'll be interesting to see how they handle the next episode, not to mention... :smith:

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Moe is cool and good though.

This is correct.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Kei's departure and the circumstances leading to it were significantly bleaker in the manga, but this episode's ending still made me sad. :shibe: :smith:

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

PerrineClostermann posted:

One thing I noticed was Kei's presence in it changed, showing her in the mall.

Yeah, that was the big change in this episode's opening. Also, maybe it was just me, but Megumi's conspicuous absence and lack of acknowledgement in some shots was more obvious this episode than in the previous ones.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Darox posted:

My impression from the manga was that the one who is closest to a mental breakdown is actually Yuri, and Yuki is acting how she is to keep Yuri sane as much as herself.

Which doesn't seem to be how the anime is handling it at the moment, but that might change.

I got the impression from the manga that Yuki had gradually recovered just enough to have a basic understanding of what was happening. She willingly stays withdrawn in her world for the sake of her friends as much as herself, and also as her way of remembering Megu-nee.

As for Yuri, she held it together pretty well until Kurumi almost turned and the helicopter crash. Those two things happening one after the other hit her hard, but she really started slipping when she remembered her sister.

Brownieftw posted:

manga spoilers: I think they actually found her zombified in the tunnels/bunker below the school

Yeah. I had to take a short break from reading the manga after that, because it really hit me in the gut.

a kitten posted:

I'm the exact opposite of spoiler phobic, but it seems weird to respond to people speculating with spoilers from the manga.

I like spoilers because it makes threads look like declassified military documents.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
This episode's end credits and preview were heartbreaking, and it's not like I didn't see it coming, either.

OnimaruXLR posted:

I'm also wondering, in terms of differences from the manga, now that Miki is already relatively taken in by Yuki, with her asking to join the club, I get the feeling Taroumaru's infection will be where Yuki proves she's not the dangerous dead weight that she comes off as in the anime. I mean yes, she's still the mood maker that makes everyone happy, but she's also a bit extra crazy, so I get the feeling the TV series climax is going to be a moment where she shows that she's not quite the slave to her delusions she seems to be

If that happens, I'm assuming it will happen during the helicopter crash, since that looks to me where the anime is most likely going to stop.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
If you're looking for something to eat while watching this show...

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

The pigeon talk at the end was hilarious. "You know the family?!"

Moldy Taxes posted:

Lots of small changes to the OP this episode. A couple expected, but some I wasn't expecting.

This is my favorite one though. I doubled back because I could tell something was different, and when I went back and paused I just :stonklol:

The lingering shot on Megumi's grave made me wince. :smith:

Also, I like how it's gradually going from morning to evening in the opening. It's not often you see a show that puts so much attention into their opening.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

squidflakes posted:

Anyone know what it says on the ruined chalk board at the end of the ending credits?

Graduating together.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

I can't believe this surprised me. :allears:

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Good lord, the pre-opening scene was enough to make me sad. This really was a bleak episode.

Phobophilia posted:

Rescue... rescue isn't coming is it :ohdear:?

Their savior has always been there.

Megu-nee is still there... :smith:

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Oh god, anime. Just let it happen already... :negative:

Raenir Salazar posted:

Well yeah. Without any other survivors the human race is extinct and pretty much it's pointless other than to live until you get sick, injured, starve, or caught.

In the manga, they discover that their school wasn't the only educational institution that survived.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
When disaster strikes, the windows are always the first thing to go.

This is so charming.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I don't think I've ever had a TV show's opening hit me nearly as hard as this episode's did. When that bone wasn't caught, I winced.

I had to take a short break from reading the manga at this point. Zombie Megu-nee being revealed and biting Kurumi hit me like a ton of bricks.

Xelkelvos posted:

Anime only bad end.

I'm betting against this, mainly because the manga is still going and they have every reason to keep this series going with it. If you want to talk about bleak, though, the next episode is probably going to have Miki killing Megu-nee and Taroumaru!

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Bye-bye, Megu-nee... :eng99:

The anime is reaching a level of heartbreaking that's surpassing the manga.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Gyra_Solune posted:

i mean if you put a baseball bat on top of a shovel it's not going to be very useful

You've never played the Dead Rising games, have you?

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Of all the cruel things this anime could have done... :qq: :shibe:

My biggest complaint about the anime is the lack of Yuuri's dramatic loss of composure. Other than that, I generally liked the differences they put into the anime. I especially liked how they gradually revealed the truth about Megu-nee. It still had an effect on me, even though I already knew it was coming.

Sakurazuka posted:

I assume the post credits bit featured a manga character that didn't up in this?

She's one of the girls they meet in the college. Not only that, it's probably a sign that there's going to be a 2nd season... after the manga's progressed enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Trihugger posted:

This sums up how I felt about the anime at the start. I had to seperate myself from the manga while watching, because I seriously considered dropping the anime after how they did the Miki and Kei episode.

In the manga, Kei was Miki's protector while Miki was naive and always following Kei. That's hugely important for understanding why Miki acts the way she does. Being forced to survive on her own (without Taromaru) hardened Miki a lot. She tries to do everything from helping Rii with bookeeping, hunt zombies with Kurumi, and babysit Yuki. Because in order to survive on your own you have to be able to do everything. But at the same time she's still that scared naive girl that's just looking to follow Kei.

And none of that made it into the anime. The anime is good, but yeah, it's a lot different in tone and character from the manga.

The story with Miki and Kei was a lot darker in the manga. Part of that was because they weren't the only ones in the shelter at first, but also Kei's decision to leave much bleaker and much more hopeless than it was in the anime. It wasn't just that she didn't have Taroumaru, it's that there was a bigger sense of abandonment in Kei's leaving.

• Locked thread