Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Star Citizen thread brought me here.

Not sure which game is never happening more first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Angela Christine posted:

LOL.

At some point they went full retard and started posting fan fiction of their game that doesn't exist in the weekly developer blog. Starting with 'A Day in the Life of a Cook' because cooks are fascinating. Here is the spellbinding tale of Marlena and the Mutton Pies:

TL;DR, I know. But just look at the size of that thing. Some dev must have spent hours on that. Then the other 3 guys all had to read it and jack off on it. And then the did several more just like it.

https://www.revivalgame.com/blog/24-weekly-blog-update-24-a-day-in-the-life-of-a-cook
https://www.revivalgame.com/blog/31-weekly-blog-30-a-day-in-the-life-of-a-crook
https://www.revivalgame.com/blog/28-weekly-blog-update-27-a-day-in-the-life-of-a-mercenary
https://www.revivalgame.com/blog/34-weekly-blog-update-33-a-day-in-the-life-of-a-magickal-practitioner

This is... game design fanfiction.

What in the gently caress. :stonk:

Angela Christine posted:

It has non-instanced housing? I love housing! :peanut:

https://www.revivalgame.com/store/housing :what:

A basic house costs 200 real life US dollars? ???

This post made me laugh out loud for a good while.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Actual quote from Illfonic's corporate website:

quote:

Revival is a Sandbox MMORPG that puts the player in the middle of a truly living world. With a focus on ‘what would it be like to actually live in a fantasy world’, Revival aims to fully immerse players in a world that has never been seen before. Unlike any game that has ever been made, Revival aims to completely restart how people think of the MMORPG genre. Total immersion, complete feedback, live storytelling and a world that evolves with true cause and effect as players play, Revival will not disappoint. Powered by Unreal Engine 4, Revival will deliver excellent visuals with the intention to deliver an amazing AAA visual experience. Revival is currently in the prototype phase and we will release more information as soon as we can!

loving :lol: somebody actually wrote the words 'unlike any game that has ever been made'

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Angela Christine posted:

So, uh, the lead designer was a TTH podcast today. Regular boring poo poo. Unremarkable . . . except that he's grey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATqTS-Rg9qk

Really grey. Overdosed on colloidal silver grey. Even his beard is grey. I'd think it was a noir B&W filter, but the stuff in the background has colour. I think this game may actually be being developed by some of the uncanny human hybrids Lovecraft wrote about.

:wtc:

And his webcam cuts out to a static image after the very beginning too. Did somebody call him out on being a blueberry and he was like "gently caress you guys :cry:" and turned it off so they couldn't see?

Shits loving weird man.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Angela Christine posted:

Poor Putty. That last update said basically the same things as the youtube, so you didn't miss anything there. The day before there was a special update on planeswalking though.

https://forums.revivalgame.com/discussion/723/blog-update-40-special-planeswalking-update

And then in reply to a question about how madness relates to planeswalking,

This could make a zerg guild of griefing assholes totally IC, since a gang of insane mutants constantly popping in and out of reality is perfectly plausible.

Learning controlled planeswalking is hard, but this also favors the zerg. Once one person learns a thing, they can write it down in a book, and then everyone else in the guild can learn the skill just by studying the book, rather than questing all over the world to find secret knowledge. In 2 or 3 years we could have a lot of fun with this game.

This poo poo is loving unbelievable.

Its seriously somebody's 14-year-old "ultimate MMO" plans, except they're taking it seriously.

They will never implement aaaaaaaany of this.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Angela Christine posted:

It's friday, and that means it's time for another installment of dev fanfiction theater! :woop:

Today a guy plays with some lady's nob. She really likes it.

https://www.revivalgame.com/forum#/discussion/790/weekly-blog-update-42-a-day-in-the-life-of-a-weaponsmith

No word yet on how many thousands of times you get to fold your hanzo steel.

Today's blog also came with some concept art and another screenshot. What a time to be alive.

Can you feel the hype???

God drat this poo poo is loving ridiculous :munch:

They'd have a hell of a time just implementing these smithing features alone. A game where you go to market, buy materials, come home, manually fold your steel and hammer it and custom craft many different types of gear. (I think there's a full game already like that, actually)

But this is just one crafting system within a giant MMO!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Angela Christine posted:

That's interesting about cryengine. Any dirty laundry about Unreal Engine 4?

Unreal used to be really awkward for anything that wasn't an FPS, but that's no longer the case.

At this point Unreal and Unity are both really popular, really extensible, and have great communities.

Everything else has issues. (IdTech, Cryengine, Gamebryo, etc.)

Rough Lobster posted:

I'm envisioning a scenario where the group leader finally scrapes together enough dudes to do a dungeon, and you're all about to head in when you notice the healer has really low hp because he forgot his sex buff. Then you're like, well we might wipe if this guy dies, I guess I better suck his dick real fast so he's got that buff. Oh wait the dicksuck buff only increases magic regeneration, I've actually got to let him buttfuck me for the HP buff.

Like do you pick the shame of having some random guy sodomize you for victory or the shame of having everyone die and deal with whatever eldritch convoluted hell bullshit you gotta deal with.

Not to mention that the rest of the party has to sit there bored while the group leader lets this healer gently caress him up the rear end. Unless there's some kind of voyeur buff, or you get some kind of group sex bonus, but if that's the case then everybody's going to expect you to have the group sex bonus all the time.

Will there be bands of roaming gay banditos who offer to orgy-gently caress you if you pay them enough so you can get the maximum sex bonus possible?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 14, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Haji posted:

OMG, this sounds terrible and awesome at the same time. It would be amusing as hell to have a character with prostitute as primary class. Prostitute/healer? Seriously laughing over here.

---- edit

Prostitute Assassin!

Star Wars Galaxies came really really close. They had erotic dancers as a primary class.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Angela Christine posted:

One of the devs made an interesting post about character stats yesterday. Not very funny though.

https://www.revivalgame.com/forum#/discussion/875/skills-abilities-and-professions

200 skills, and each character can master at most 2 or 3, lol.

200 skills and each one is supposed to be as in depth as planeswalking or fishing or alchemy or blacksmithing?

loving lol. This game as advertised would cost over a billion dollars to make.

Angela Christine posted:

Maybe Monterrey Jack is a starting recipe anyone can try, but they'll have to figure out Pepper Jack themselves.

:allears:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

KildarX posted:

I don't know how to put this, but I like that pie in the sky game projects like these exist, because some of the ideas in them make me go "man thatd be cool" and hopefully someone who actually has resources and skill can look at the projects take maybe one really cool idea and implement it in a game which will exist and be fun to play.

Eh, I don't. It just sets up unrealistic expectations and makes people believe in bullshit, unless they get really crushed in which case they doubt that anybody could later pull off what was bullshit before.

I mean even if you had the billion dollars to invest that it would cost to do all that, it still probably wouldn't be that great of a game. Its a mess of design. Its too big. You'd be better off breaking that into 200 different individual games that do one thing really well than one god-game that does EVERYTHING.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

hakimashou posted:

You do understand that these people worked on star citizen

Yes, I am fully aware. You don't need to explain any of this to me. Look at my post history in this thread dude.

What part of "loving lol this would cost a billion dollars to make" makes you think I'm taking this seriously? Its Star Citizen x10, without the goons trying to defend their purchases.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Haha, yeah. I'm not sure if having some true believers in the thread would be more entertaining or disruptive.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Angela Christine posted:

Weekly Blog Update #46: In The Shadows

I wonder if all that is going to be server or client based? Client based is prone to abuse, but server based seems like it would be a lot of load to be checking what every single character (PC and NPC) is seeing every second.

Server doing per-pixel lighting calculations using the actual world models of characters for every player and NPC? loving :lol:

In your dreams

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Angela Christine posted:

This weeks devblog is out and includes flowcharts! You like flowcharts, don't you? https://www.revivalgame.com/blog/48-weekly-blog-update-47-tag-and-release

Look at those fuggen flowcharts. Of course some 'players' are concerned that 100 tags are not nearly enough. What if I learn 101 very important things?

quote:

Interestingly enough, the tagging system is also one of the most simple systems in the game. It’s a “moment of beauty” for a designer when a elegant solution to a problem is found and tags was one of those moments for us. You see, at their heart a tag really isn’t much more than a word, with a macro attached to it, but that simple thing makes possible elements of role playing that many still believe are impossible in an MMO - things like having a legitimately personal story, or making it possible for everyone to experience content others won’t ever experience or see in the same way. Tags really are the source of Revival’s magic.

I just don't even know where to begin with this :psyduck:

First of all, this is really really really really really basic poo poo, that like everybody implements and its so boring and low-level that nobody talks about it. Like duh. And these guys think its novel and original and its going to make their game possible and incredible? Something no other MMO has ever done before!?

There are loving choose-your-own-adventure BOOKS, not even videogames, books, that have had this idea before. Much less computer videogames.

This is literally RPG design 101, and these guys think they're making something state-of-the-art.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sekenr posted:

What does any of this have to do with Lovecraft?

Somebody suggested they make a game based on "Lovecraft" and everybody interpreted it as "love-craft" :cheeky:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I want to collect all the design official fanfiction written about this game, and then like 5 years after it gets cancelled I want to print it all out and bind it into a book of failure and then ship it to everybody associated with this project.

It never ends, either. They just keep pumping out more of this insane poo poo that'll never ever ever be a game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CountingWizard posted:

Lovecraft is often overused and overexplained. The key attributes to a good REH/Lovecraft story is maintaining the mystery. Don't pull back the curtain on the monster. Lovecraft's method was to write more about what the narrator was experiencing and feeling rather than describing what the monsters looked like. REH was more about describing the action and sequence of events in an exciting manner. REH usually included the weird in context of a more mundane yarn; like an Atlantean mummy wizard running an opium syndicate in London, in the context of a noir detective story.

Most modern Cthulhu/Lovecraft copy-cat stories just steal his monsters and misuse them by making them really loving mundane and cliche.

Yeah its the classic Alien situation. Focus on the survivors, not the monster. The less you see of the monster, the more your brain can be afraid that the monster is anything and everything at the same time. The more you show and explain about the monster, the more it turns into a guy with a rubber suit on.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Which is probably why for the summon in FFX they called it "Anima" instead, although then it sounds pretty different. (They used other Latin in FFX too, machina)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Alexander DeLarge posted:

If they can get forests with that kind of density running in a MMO at that level of detail, I don't care how the game is, I want to run around in it.

Its REALLY easy to throw together amazing looking demos when you're using cryengine or UE4. Its REALLY HARD to actually maintain that level of quality for a full MMO.

No way in gently caress can they put out an MMO that looks like that.

Probably an offline demo that's single player, may not even have a running server-client architecture yet. Probably just a loving map demo. He just runs around and doesn't interact with anything. Ridiculously easy to do.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

It's on UE4 now though so it may not be possible. Remember Cryengine is first and foremost a tree simulator.

It'd be possible with a good art team and programmers, especially if you use speedtree; but those are not things they have, so yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Angela Christine posted:

What else is Illfonic up to, you ask? Cutting edge stuff. Like a Zombie Survival FPS! :zombie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSdC-2KHsoo

Head over to the forums if you want to enter for an early access key giveaway! http://forums.movinghazard.com/index.php?/topic/6-early-access-giveaway/

Gee, I've always wondered what Dead Island mixed with Call of Duty running at 10fps would look like :v:

• Locked thread