Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

quote:

Revival is the rebirth of the player-driven, sandbox, fantasy role-playing world. Player agency, world persistence, and absolutely zero compromises are the cornerstones of our quest for a living, persistent, dark fantasy role-playing world. Revival is much more than a game. It is, in fact, an ongoing drama where each and every player has an opportunity to enjoy a starring role. Revival is our effort to revive the promise of the virtual world, and bring back a truly open-world sandbox role-playing experience.

Features
Skill Based Combat | Take advantage of your natural talents in Revival’s action-based combat system, using mechanics that depend on player skill more than statistical superiority.
Natural Skill Development | Intuitive character skill development where practice really does mean perfect.
Living World | Immerse yourself in an ever-changing world of adventure, where each character has a life, a purpose, and an impact.
Live Storytelling | Do your part to make history playing hand-in-hand with Revival’s unprecedented Live Storytelling Team.
Real Economics | Do you have what it takes to corner the market and become a merchant prince of Theleston?
Active Crafting | Tired of the “to-do” list that stands as crafting in most MMO? Enjoy our immersive crafting system where player skill has to be developed to reach mastery.

Also features graphic sex and serial killing options.

quote:

Those of you with sex on the brain may find the latest Revival dev post enlightening. Before we get to the bumping and grinding, though, it’s important to remember that Illfonic is building a virtual world.

“We are not a theme park game. This is a living world that moves on without you,” the devs explain. “This also means we want total and complete immersion. You won’t see ultra hot tiny women with white teeth, perfect hair, and skimpy armor running around fighting evil creatures. This isn’t realistic in the world of Revival. This is a medieval time period. It is dirty, it is gross, and the people are gross within it.”

So gross, in fact, that things like “taking a poo poo, pissing, having sex, slavery, serial killing abilities, and more” will be in-game activities. Illfonic says that you can have “graphic sex” in Revival, and characters with healthy sex lives will have “strong perk bonuses.” As for the deed itself, it’s a cooperative minigame with appropriate animations that continues as long as both parties can “maintain.”

Q&A

quote:

Q: Is Revival Free To Play or Subscription Based?

A: The simple answer is both. (A common refrain here is “the designer answer is both” as you will no doubt see.) The majority of servers of Revival will be Free to Play. However, every region will have at least one “Gold Server” that requires a subscription. (more on this later) While early stages of development require purchasing something to get access to our content, Revival is built to be fun for players, whether they spend money or not.

Q: Is combat real time/physics based?

A: Mostly. Revival uses a mixture of both real-time combat and prediction based movements to ensure latency can be dealt with across most scenarios easily. Essentially, to make sure that massive amounts of players can play the game in the vicinity of each other, we have to blend the zero-latency first person combat you see in single player games with a slightly more predictive model of combat. In most cases, however, you won’t feel the difference and even in the worst cases, We ensure that Revival is primarily a player-skill based combat experience.

Q: What does a Sandbox RPG Mean?

A: In a nutshell, the term Sandbox RPG means it is a game set in a the world that is yours to explore and interact with as you wish. Things like gating mechanics (“You don’t have the ‘Open red doors’ skill yet!”) and forced linear progression don’t really exist in sandbox RPGs since they get in the way of that “do what you want” idea. A sandbox game is non-linear and allows free exploration in all directions, while the RPG aspect of the game means you have some amount of character growth and development that will occur as you play.

Q: What is a living world game then?

A: If the Sandbox portion of the game is what lets you explore as you will and interact with the world as you please, the living world aspect of the game is what makes that compelling. The technologies behind our living world system give NPCs their own lives, desires and modes of interacting by supplying them with sophisticated AI which allows them to sleep, eat, work or socialize as their own internal motivations dictate, just like players. It is likewise the element of the game that makes trees grow over time, cities shrink and grow and commerce wax and wane as markets fluctuate. The goal of the living world systems in Revival is to ensure that even if you’re the only player on the server for some reason, you will find yourself in the middle of a believable, immersive and bustling world filled with interesting people doing interesting things.

Q: When will Revival be finished?

A: Revival is never done. Our release schedule releases the game in chunks. The first glimpse of what Revival will truly be like is in Version 6, when we open the first main continent in the game.

Q: Are there any set dates for the versions?

A: Our development timeline is loose and since we are doing new and innovative stuff, we don’t have concrete dates on our features. Because Revival is such an ambitious title, it takes time to make sure things are right. We hope to be at Version 6 in 2017.

Q: Is everything super violent and dark in Revival?

A: The simple answer is no. While the theme of Revival is to encompass and create a brutal world where life is harsh, we embrace the beauties of nature. Seasons, beautiful vistas, and carefully managed color are not enemies of the world of Revival. In fact, beauty is often associated with that which is terrible. Likewise, while violence and death are real possibilities in the world, they aren’t guaranteed to be lurking around ever dark corner the world has to offer: we want you to feel that you’re not always going to be killed… so when you are slain, its keenly felt!

Q: How far does player customization go?

A: One of the most important things in Revival is the story and fiction. We have a precept called the Rule of World that basically says: Nothing goes into Revival which might jeopardize your sense immersion. Because of this, player customization is constrained by certain guidelines to keep things consistent with the world but the system still has a lot of freedom and thousands of possibilities to explore. Additionally, players will be able to decorate a lot of their own objects to very high levels of detail and uniquity. However, this is guided within constraints: we want to avoid people placing houses in the middle of fields, creating giant dick butt montages out of small objects in their front yards, and other things that can quickly spoil the sense of a real, vibrant world with its own history and rules. In essence, we want to give you the tools to encourage customization that won’t break the game’s fiction.

Q: What is a Gold Server?

A: Gold servers are Revival in its best possible form: They feature Live Storytelling 24/7, with a crew of game masters and storytellers working around the clock to add new content to the server that responds directly to player actions and to orchestrate large unique events for subscribers to participate in. the free to play base of Revival is the sandbox MMORPG we’ve all been waiting for, and Revival’s Gold Servers are the live-DM’d campaign version played out on top of them.

Q: What is Live Storytelling exactly?

A: Have you ever played a tabletop role playing game? If you have, then when we say “Live Storytelling is something like a DM’d experience” you will probably understand what we’re suggesting, but for those of you who haven’t had the fortune to experience a well DM’d experience, let us explain: Imagine if your MMO’s story was tailored to the players on your server, specifically. Imagine if, every moment the server was online, there was a team of designers, actors and game masters working together to deliver content that was purpose built to respond to your actions and your characters. This is Live Storytelling, our cornerstone feature of the Gold Server service. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, just such a team will be watching every server, possessing NPCs to interact directly with players, building new quests and adventures to react to what players have done and orchestrating events on a scale never before seen in an MMO.

Q: Why is Live Storytelling restricted to Gold Servers?

A: The time and effort of doing Live Storytelling is intense and, sadly, expensive. Because of this, it is left as a premium feature of the game. However, players who choose to not play on a Live Storytelling server will still be able to have an amazing time with Revivals core game mechanics, including its amazing sandbox and lush living world mechanics.

Q: What does purchasing a house get me?

A: In addition, of course, to the house itself, purchasing real estate brings with it numerous benefits: Players who own real estate in a city are considered a citizen of that city, allowing them to participate in city politics, trade in the local commodity market without tariff or penalty, join trade guilds and other city-based organizations and, of course, enjoy the full protection of the city’s guard. These in-game benefits will come online at various stages in our release schedule, but they are not the only benefits a homeowner has, they are coupled with some “meta-benefits” as well. Home owners will have access to the game from its first proof of concept release on, being the very first to access the game.

About the developer

Interview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVRwN93XLT0

quote:

IllFonic, LLC is a video game studio based in Denver, Colorado that specializes in Next-Gen game development. Started in 2007, IllFonic grew from a small team working in a garage into a fully staffed triple A studio. In 2012, IllFonic released Nexuiz on PC and Xbox 360. Since then, IllFonic has worked on various projects across multiple platforms, some unannounced, some released and some [Redacted] (Star Citizen FPS).

Throughout the years, IllFonic has continued to push the envelope with each project the studio takes on. However, we’ve often felt that something was missing from the realm of computer gaming.

This something has grown to become the idea behind Revival. An online role-playing experience like nothing ever done before. Revival is an unprecedented game that can only be done by an unconventional team like the one at Illfonic. It reflects our style, speaks our language and is true to our IllFonic methodology

:siren:Go buy a house before a prototype is complete/playable:siren:
https://www.revivalgame.com/store/housing

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I'll buy in during the middle of stage 3 to test the multiplayer sex. Only two years left until stage 6, they better have a lot more than what they're showing.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Considering they're not really doing anything that can't be achieved within CryEngine's default functionality, I don't doubt their ability to create a game like this, but they better have some side projects lined up and they better be getting some of that Chris Roberts money to sustain the wages for the next two years.

Angela Christine posted:

You buy housing on a specific server. Some servers will be free to play, some will have a monthly subscription but there is no info yet on what the monthly subscription will be. What happens if you bought a house on a gold server, but then don't want to pay for a monthly sub?

This is what bothers me about the whole gold server thing. If I were to spend $30 on a house, that's fine, but will I like the game enough to pay $15/monthly to access my $30 house?

They said the living content stuff is gold server only, but I want to see that in action before I limit myself to that server.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

PST posted:

Pathfinder Online charged $5k for the right to have a tavern, which someone else could burn down, or that you'd lose if you stopped paying rent on it. 6 people bought them during their kickstarter.

Jesus, I legitimately feel badly for them. Shame it's riding so much on the IP rather than the actual game.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

randombattle posted:

Is it really?

The only cool thing about pathfinder is the hundreds of insane classes like literal JoJo stand user and the game doesn't have any of that.

It is pretty much the worst sandbox MMO on the market right now. I heard that they made experience based on when you started paying for early access, meaning older players will ALWAYS be better than you.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Our favorite MMO made massivelyOP's "Why I'm hopeful for the future of MMOs"

http://massivelyop.com/2015/08/14/the-soapbox-why-im-hopeful-for-the-future-of-mmos/

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I just did a survey and got paid $50 so I'm gonna buy a house. Wish me luck lads.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Given that they, an FPS company, had serious difficulties releasing an FPS using Cryengine, it'd take a miracle for this to be a real thing.

In all fairness, Star Citizen's CryEngine was using new technology developed specifically for Star Citizen (artificial gravity that can change dynamically).

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
https://www.revivalgame.com/blog/44-weekly-blog-update-43-city-building

In cities, every building is enterable and every item in those buildings has a function. Also, ships that you can sail, bigger ships require a crew.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

sounds great is there a cap on how much you're allowed to buy in for up front because i have the brain aids settlement check in front of me and this souinds pretty good

Buy the most expensive home you can to act as Goon guild house and sign it over to me in your will in case you die from the brain aids. I will carry your intended legacy forward when building up the BDSM playrooms.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

oTHi posted:

What is your policy on mandatory sex buffs?

gently caress whoever needs it or kick. We don't need non-contributors.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Orv posted:

Radical idea, but I think just radical enough for this game; what if only one person can ever naturally learn a skill, but has to chose to disseminate it to the rest of the server? Imagine orgy land but nobody knows how to do anal, so there's a bounty on the one guy who does.

That sounds sufficiently insane I think.

Wasn't there an MMO where the endgame boss required "the chosen one" to do the final point of damage, and no one knew who was the "chosen one" was?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Orv posted:

That sounds like something an idea guy thought was a great thing, yeah. Couldn't tell you where from though.

It's an interesting concept, but it's not something you actually do lol

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Rough Lobster posted:

Have they released anything OTHER than screen shots of the inside of houses?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Have you seen they're developing the Friday the Thirteenth game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74Sw3C8iJiU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Decorator tool video coming soon

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Looks pretty nice tbh

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Angela Christine posted:

Here is a proof of concept thing they did in 2014. Looks cook, but that was before they switched from cryengine to UE4, so most of this had to be scraped, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRH4d7ZbS9M

If they can get forests with that kind of density running in a MMO at that level of detail, I don't care how the game is, I want to run around in it.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
If that's the case, I don't see why they'd be showcasing the interiors now. I can open up UE4, get some SpeedTree assets and create something that looks pretty drat nice in under an hour.

Sell game packages or something instead.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Angela Christine posted:

No, see, it's totally different because it is a fetch quest for another player. The supply chains are so convoluted players generate their own fetch quests.

A true sandbox experience™

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Decrepus posted:

How long until forums poster Angela Christine ironically buys a house in this game?

I'm unironically buying one soon.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Kramjacks posted:

I hope your house doesn't get trashed by a story event.

Joke's on you, I'm not buying on a gold server, there are no story events.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Rap Three Times posted:

Can I sleep in your house? No sex though

I'll wait until stage 3, if it's fun I'll buy one of those mansions and make it Goonhall

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Looks expensive but I'll set up a gofundme page so you guys can contribute too

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Lovecraftian space horror sounds cool as gently caress

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Angela Christine posted:

What if revival is one of the planets your SC spaceman can visit? But instead of procedurally generated birds, there are perverts and cthulhus? :aaa:

They need to get Illfonic back for licensing purposes then.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Unrelated but I just bought this CryEngine humble bundle and the survival package was developed by these guys.

quote:

Built on the Nexuiz codebase using CryEngine 3, the Survival Game Starter Project includes some simple tutorial and sample files to help get you up and running making your own survival game in CryEngine 3! It contains Flow Graph setups for an inventory system, interaction with objects and basic spawning of enemies. Simply open the editor and the tutorial map, then open the flow graph editor and look under Entities / Tutorial.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I'm glad I didn't buy the expensive properties now.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

9foxtails posted:

I was rooting for these guys. However, this only strengthens my suspicions about kickstarter.

I've had nothing but good experience with Kickstarter/crowdfunding because I require a decent prototype or a decent portfolio showing that they can actually put something out along with the ability to communicate.

Insurgency
Divinity Original Sin 1
Divinity Original Sin 2
Wasteland 2
Bard's Tale IV
Chivalry
Banner Saga
Toejam and Earl
Blade Symphony
Shards Online
The Repopulation
Pillars of Eternity
Squad
Contagion
Distance
Torment
Shadowrun Returns
Tabletop Simulator
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Shroud of the Avatar
Star Citizen

I'd much rather have a world with Kickstarter in it than one without. I know what these corporate suits do to projects if they have their money at stake. I also remember what it used to be like before Greenlight was a thing, good games would get denied. Sure, I have to sift through the poo poo to find a good small budget indie games, but I had to do that with AAA titles already and the reviews along with YouTube coverage generally sort those out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

I have some bad news for you...

I was wondering where this thread went.

• Locked thread