Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Jagchosis posted:

Grats to Pierre Nkurunziza on winning a third term

I, for one, never doubted the glorious leader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Jagchosis posted:

Speaking of depressing, there was a coup d'etat in Burkina Faso. The coup was perpetrated by military officers supposedly loyal to the former president for life Blaise Compaore, who was ousted recently by popular protests. The coup was against the leaders of the transitional government, and occurred three weeks before scheduled elections to determine his successor. The leader of the coup, General Diendere, says that elections will still go forward but the scheduled date of October 11 is much too early, and we must not rush democracy, oh no that would be bad, so the elections are delayed indefinitely. The French use Burkina Faso as a staging area for operations against Islamists, and the country is also allied with the U.S. against those militants. The U.S. is mad salty about this coup and saying they're going to "review" the military aid they provide to the country (in the same manner they "reviewed" military aid to Egypt after their coup, which is to say lol).

The UN wrote Diendere a very strongly worded letter expressing stern disapproval.

The African Union is apparently threatening travel bans and asset freezes if the coup-ers don't knock that poo poo off immediately.

Not sure it'll stick, but it's slightly more than a strongly worded letter.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

kustomkarkommando posted:

Belmokhtar is more of a surly fellow who got into AQIM's bad books by pretty much completely ignoring the leadership and doing things under his own power, something that didn't exactly go down well with AQIM's commanders in Algeria when he was off messing around in Northern Mali.

Oh man, I remember this! There was a hilariously whiny AQ memo captured about how he was ruining all their wonderful plans by not following policy, and as I recall, also being bad at accounting. :saddowns:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

AtomD posted:

Pretty much the biggest joke to come out of SA politics in the past month or two was this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiZ_-gd2Cb8&t=165s
ANC NEC member Bathabile Dlamini imploring other ANC members not to use the media to reveal scandals, but to discuss them behind closed doors because: "All of us there at the NEC have our very small skeletons and we don't want those skeletons to come out."

loving insane, really.

I am not sure "very small skeletons" is the best choice of words, especially for a county with historical UK associations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

blowfish posted:

Because it's part of that place's history, even if it's not from a glorious part of that history. Erasing all the reminders of the unpleasant parts just makes it easier to forget your country's history isn't all good, instead you should educate people more comprehensively.

Note that eventually, it may also become significant as a relic of a period of world history, in which case it should be preserved as an artifact for all mankind and go into a museum.

Another option is just to change / add a plaque. Boom, tone of the exhibition is changed while retaining historical value.

Edit: apparently this has been discussed but I disagree with making the historical art just disappear. :colbert: Guess I would be okay with moving it to the Museum of Racist Shitbags, though.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 4, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Brainiac Five posted:

A Native American group cut off the foot of a statue of a conquistador who ordered all the men in New Mexico have one of their feet cut off in retribution for an uprising. Good on them and the guys who cut off Cecil's nose.

See, this I like.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

He's in Guinea now, picking an asylum country eventually.

I honestly never imagined this would end as peacefully as it did. A whole lot of bloodshed was prevented today. Good times

:3:

Even in Africa, sometimes nice things happen.

Good job Mauretania and friends?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

lollontee posted:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-39799961

Find the book and throw it down a well.

I mean, accidents happen.

Especially to rising stars with substantial control over a buttload of federal money.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

So what should be the appropriate way to handle traditional groups that are, themselves, at risk of causing ecological destruction?

Obviously "empower a bunch of mercenaries to do whatever" is, uh, suboptimal, but this sort of situation isn't even in "agree to reasonable fishing standards" radius, it's a lot harder to figure out or enforce. Although that might be the correct sort of idea in the end.

I mean, in this context, another answer is "don't expand protected parks".

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

blowfish posted:

This looks like it could be from Russia, except in Russia people wouldn't run but continue chugging Vodka because gigantic fireballs aren't remarkable enough to interrupt daily life :v:

I'm reminded of that Russian dashcam video where the meteor falls from the sky and the driver just impassively lowers the sun blocker thingy because it's bright.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Grouchio posted:

Is the SA govt doing anything to help the Cape Town drought crisis?

We're too busy trying to keep Lowtax alive, sorry

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Telsa Cola posted:

Also generally speaking doctors all have horrrrible bedside manners and cultural competencey, so you can bet that they aren't explaining poo poo. This is a huge problem in the US and the few papers I read on the ebola stuff basically said they saw improvments when they actually went around and talked to people like humans and informed them about poo poo which leads me to believe its a thing there too.

A friend of mine did CDC compliance stuff and one of her big recommendations on South Texas tuberculosis stuff was basically this :toot:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Re Deby, the rebels claim they shot him, although frankly they'd probably make that claim even if he instead caught a fatal case of bribed bodyguard.

macron attended his funeral lol

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Some military leaders who want to get rich? This isn't even the first recent junta, it's not like they wouldn't have considered it without the insidious whispers of the CIA. Non westerners have agency sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

V. Illych L. posted:

probably the french at least okayed this. west african special forces have pretty tight institutional connections to the french military and unless i misremember this guy is married to a french woman and a former legionnaire

Absolutely, I'm just saying the causation might flow "aspiring dictator checks with his buddies" rather than "colonialists install random dictator". The ultimate result is not terribly different but one of these options involves (horrible) locals having their own agency.

which is in turn closely linked to why a lot of these programs are indirectly horrible