Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Tesseraction posted:

Well, that's more failed to cause as opposed to an achievement.

When everyone around him burns the country on their way out it arguably is an achievement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Constant Hamprince posted:

In Uganda news, Mousevini has claimed victory in recent elections with 60% of the vote, and celebrated by having the looser arrested and held at an undisclosed location. Democracy!

Nietzschean politics can be rather involved :v:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

because the individual human is an acceptable loss in the greater culture war, you see

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Rhodes Must Fall millennials in the UK mainly shouted about how that statue needs to be taken down in favour of shouting about anything of substance. It was at that point that they crossed over from being serious movement that attempts to put social issues into the public eye to being a stupid movement for self righteous idiots.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 3, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

Taking down a statue honoring a terrible person is a thing of substance, see: Confederate statues in the US.

No, that's not how you do it. You leave the statue there and maybe add things like plaques explaining the historical context.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

Thank god the chief statue knower is here to tell black people what they should do, about the statues

Anyone who would rather erase evidence of a problem or of a historical event rather than confront it has bad and wrong opinions, yes.

*pulls down statue of dead Bad GuyTM*
*declares mission accomplished in facebook post*
*enjoys just and fair world*

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 3, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Grouchio posted:

And paint the words "TRAITOR" or "HORRIBLE PERSON" all over them.

A better idea than just taking it down.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

computer parts posted:

The fact that a simple statue can't even be taken down says a lot about how willing people are to confront real issues.

Enforcing civilised discourse over an attitude "i unbellyfeel $historical_figure" is a good of its own.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

A campaign to take it down is confronting it.

No, it's blindly smashing things that upset you, and it's the very definition of refusing to confront them no matter whether you're powerful enough to succeed or not.

kustomkarkommando posted:

This statute was erected to honour a man who gave us a ridiculous amount of money when he died and only attended this college as he saw a studying here to be necessary for his social advancement.

A better idea than taking it down.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Should the Russians have kept all the Stalin statues?

At least an appreciable number of them, yes. Possibly with dicks drawn on Stalin's face, but still around.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

How is having a debate about a) why it was put up b) what it meant at the time c) what it means now d) whether we should take it down not confronting the issue?

I'm sorry but there wasn't much debate the issue, merely loud shouting about how I AM FEELING OPPRESSED by a statue without further detail (people couldn't be bothered to write, quote or even read actual arguments for the thing they were protesting to do).

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Brainiac Five posted:

A Native American group cut off the foot of a statue of a conquistador who ordered all the men in New Mexico have one of their feet cut off in retribution for an uprising. Good on them and the guys who cut off Cecil's nose.

That's at least a higher level of intellectual engagement than going "waah make the bad thing disappear from my view".

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Brainiac Five posted:

Yes, blowfish, I would estimate that 99.9% of the world's population has a higher level of intellectual engagement than you.

Awesome username/post combo.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Specifically in the UK context, which is what I am talking about, the local version of Rhodes Must Fall sprang up to counter deep-rooted racism prevalent in sections of Oxford and a culture of imperial glorification that alienated the small Black student population. Forcing a confrontation on persistent colonial nostalgia by challenging the presence a statue embodying that makes sense to me. To quote:

Apart from the proportion of black profs and the Union thing (which while affiliated with the uni is student run) everything there basically boils down "insensitive and/or racist students exist at Oxford". The history degree thing is typical of the (perhaps overly) modular nature of Oxbridge degrees that lets students skip everything they don't care about; in my course you have equivalent stuff like biologists who don't know caterpillars turn into butterflies and moths after studying biological natural sciences for three years.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 3, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

The specific position of Oxford in British society as a hothouse for the upper echelons of society makes a battle over the toleration of colonial-era nostalgia among the student body all the more important and mobilizing against continuing symbols of colonial glorification important - Oxford is a culture as much as it is an institution

I mean if you read combating deep seated racism at Oxford being purely about the functioning of the Universities internal systems rather than a broader attempt at reforming the culture of the great white city of the British upper class I think you are missing the point to a degree

Yes, but you had a silly movement which was all about removing one specific statue in ~Oriel College, Oxford~, rather than about entrenched power structures/racism/excessive RULE BRITANNIA in English upperclassmen.

Essentially, brats from the middle and lower class complained about being personally inconvenienced during their first taste of real privilege.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

They had other protests as well about related issues regarding colonial legacy in oxford and yes that what it was about

I dont actually think you know very much about the specifics of the Oxford protests

Hmmm yes, I think this movement which quickly vanished when the specific statue it was about didn't end up getting taken down in time for the next summer vacation was a serious political movement about taking on a wide range of issues regarding colonial legacy.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Yes I will take your facebook analysis over the stated aims and goals of the movements organizers

Hmmm, perhaps the original organisers who at least put in a token amount of thought stopped being relevant once the movement got overrun by drooling retards (i.e. basically throughout most of the movement).

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

They where relevant when one of them made a white girl cry though

funny that

Well that was already towards the end of their relevance, but now that you've brought it up, ":hurr: I should make a random person who has nothing to do with this poo poo cry" is surely the finest moment of a political movement.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Basically everyone involved in Rhodes Must Fall UK: Self-Absorbed Boogaloo was stupid or bad.

Rhodes was an rear end in a top hat back in the day; the College are spineless assholes for waffling until letting themselves get blackmailed into a decision by donors; the idiot tweens marching for the general cause of, uh, something, I'm sure someone smarter than me has thought of it but I'm kinda angry remain idiots.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah I remember when they called for the creation of an Afro-Carribean scholarship. What self absorbed pricks

Well, it's very easy to carry around a banner with something written on it, but again: how much pressure to enact any substantial changes continued after the College decided not to take down the statue? essentially nothing was done and the movement died down a few weeks after

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Brainiac Five posted:

No you don't, because you are insisting that changing these symbols is "nothing happening". Lying in such a clumsy way is not really helpful either in deceit or honesty.

Your broader argument seems to be that the university would have done more things if not for the fools who protested, and that their reluctance and stonewalling would fade away if things were done in a properly technocratic fashion.

Technically it's just almost nothing and not literally nothing, but it's purely optics that (as mentioned in the post you're quoting) were changed instead of things materially affecting people. If the protest movement had any teeth and wasn't the closest approximation of slacktivism possible irl, then you'd have an appreciable number of people continuing to keep up pressure to force meaningful change, instead of going "yay we tore down a statue, time to go home" or "well it's still there, eh, might as well go home".

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

so do we have to wait until the post-racial Communist utopia is here to take down the giant memorial to the genocidal white supremacist? or is that not allowed even then?

His statue should remain until it rots from bird poo poo and acid rain, much like statues of other historical oppressors.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Because it's part of that place's history, even if it's not from a glorious part of that history. Erasing all the reminders of the unpleasant parts just makes it easier to forget your country's history isn't all good, instead you should educate people more comprehensively.

Note that eventually, it may also become significant as a relic of a period of world history, in which case it should be preserved as an artifact for all mankind and go into a museum.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Fallen Hamprince posted:

On the other hand, Westerners are really good at extincting hunter-gatherers.

The circle of life.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

We should add hunter-gatherers to the endangered species list.

Clearly in need of a captive breeding program in zoos. No, of course I don't see any race or other ethical issues with that, and nothing could go wrong.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

This looks like it could be from Russia, except in Russia people wouldn't run but continue chugging Vodka because gigantic fireballs aren't remarkable enough to interrupt daily life :v:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Key word here is "settled". African megafauna survived just fine until colonialism.

Man is part of nature and strikes a balance with it. That's not hippie mumbo-jumbo, that's fact. When you have traditional societies that have lived a stable lifestyle for hundreds of generations, their environment is adapted to them, just as they are adapted to it. When humans arrive at a place they weren't there before, or at least different humans from those who lived there previously, or when there is a drastic change in lifestyle (say, an industrial revolution or three) that is when extinctions happen.

What a load of bullshit.

Africa is the big exception because humans evolved there over a long time, allowing animals to coevolve with humans and instinctively avoid them. Eurasia was already much harder-hit by early human colonisation, and for all megafauna located even further from Africa than that (e.g. Australia, South America), already-advanced humans suddenly showing up with spears was basically armageddon.

Of course, a new balance will eventually set in as it does in every ecosystem even after massive disturbances, but that doesn't mean tribes apparently living ~in balance with nature~ didn't already gently caress up important parts of the ecosystem and break it beyond recognition before Europeans showed up with guns to break even more things.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Basically if a terrestrial ecosystem isn't full of megafauna, it's either a tiny rock in the middle of the ocean or got completely hosed by humans.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

The point, if you paid attention, was that they had already set that balance which means that they are not the danger to the animal species that survived to this day.
It's a completely trivial and uninteresting point unless you're one of the weirdo conservationists with an excessive fondness for ~traditional pastoral landscapes~ over restoration of natural ecosystem function.

quote:

But sure, blame the primitives, say, "their ancestors 1000 years ago were no angels :smug:" while American, European or Chinese companies are bulldozing thousands of square kilometers of forest to get palm oil or whatever other lovely resource.
This is also a completely trivial and uninteresting point unless your argument is "it's not perfect so let's destroy it all :toot:".

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

KiteAuraan posted:

Humans played a role in earlier extinction events, that's not in dispute, but it was a complex process and humans were only one factor. Pleistocene megafauna was gone whether or not humans arrived, it just would have likely extended into the mid-Holocene in some regions, though not all.

In the case of Madagascar and New Zealand, I would assume it's the same story as most other islands. Humans tend to wreck island ecosystems something fierce, even if it's a large set of islands like New Zealand. Hawaii is another good example.

Citation loving. Megafauna survived multiple ice and warm ages before people showed up - credible literature at most suggests that historic climate change made megafauna more susceptible to overhunting so that they suffered a double knockout punch when they would have survived e.g. the last ice age alone. While there may have been technically nonzero humans in America and Australia for a while before animals went extinct, there is a reason that these cultures have only become known very recently - artifacts and skeletons are extremely small in number and thus human populations must have been vanishingly small (and stayed small) until the more well-known larger expansion of e.g. Clovis people in America which does coincide with megafaunal disappearance.

Also Madagascar and NZ are basically large enough that if people murdered everything larger than a sheep there it strongly suggests that people would have also been able to murder everything larger than a sheep on a whole continent.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 8, 2017

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Best casket scenario.

a rare :golfclap: is justified here

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

quote:

He is desperately trying to escape the theatre disguised as a woman dressed in Hijab. We reliably gathered that to avoid detection Abubakar Shekau alternates between blue and black coloured hijabs. He was last seen in a black hijab,
*dons green hijab*

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Original_Z posted:

Indeed, maybe there's a reason for them to distrust the doctors treating them, as this post would imply.

:drat: that's an impressive level of failure yet also completely unsurprising given how lovely management is everywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I just found out that all these right wing white's love to jack-off about Rhodesia. They keep stating that the country was one of the quickest developing nations in the world, and that it survived sanctions, and what not. I was wondering what the true story of the country was. I tried looking up on Google but a lot of sources seem "biased" to say the least.

:heritage: rhodesians never die :heritage: