Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

PawParole posted:

https://foreignpolicy.com/2021/01/06/ethiopia-benishangul-gumuz-violence-gerd-western-front/

article about the massacre in Ethiopia. Note that the source is heavily neoconservative, so keep the bias in mind

Is FP heavily neocon? The second story I see on their front page reads

quote:

It Happened Here
Trump’s movement is a uniquely American fascism, built on a century of American imperialism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Tuna-Fish posted:

And even the "needlessly" might have to be in quotes. When you are in power because the army likes you, because they feel you are one of them, it's a good idea to make sure they keep feeling that way. Sometimes that means putting yourself in harm's way. And sometimes the rebels just get really lucky.

Would be interesting to know the nature of the injuries. Small arms fire? Shrapnel? I wonder if rebels targeted him or if he was just near an IED.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Beelzebufo posted:

I'm wondering if people more versed in this area could answer a question for me. Given what we're seeing in India, among other places, right now, I'm wondering if the relatively low covid infections/deaths by population we are seeing in big chunks of Africa is just a reporting issue, or if maybe the variants haven't spread there yet. Stories out of India seem to indicate that this wave is going really bad in rural as well as urban areas, so I was wondering if this means there's the potential for an African surge coming in the near future.

I think an African surge is inevitable. Why it hasn't yet occurred I couldn't tell you: how covid spreads on a population level doesn't seem well understood.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Well well

quote:

KAMPALA (Reuters) - Uganda has detected the Indian variant of the novel coronavirus, igniting fears the East African nation could suffer a resurgence of cases just when its outbreak has waned, a senior health official said on Friday.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-uganda-idUSKBN2CH0TB

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

PawParole posted:

In other news the government of Ethiopia just declared the Oromo Liberation Front a terrorist group and disappeared its political leader.

the country is headed back to 2005.

https://mobile.twitter.com/addisstandard/status/1389521579529359362

they probably also killed the police commissioner for the Amhara region.

https://mobile.twitter.com/addisstandard/status/1389554666904727559

https://mobile.twitter.com/addisstandard/status/1388403167050838017

I'm very ignorant about Ethiopia and Africa as a whole, but I'm trying to learn.

What happened in 2005 and why is that relevant to today?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

piL posted:

We are very interested in both natural beauty and world industry. Bridges, ports, rail lines, roads about tank width and larger, escarpments, mountain passes, you know, that sort of stuff.

I'm interested in these things irl and I think it could get me in trouble someday when I get caught with binoculars looking at a port in a foreign country.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I'd love to see a group photo of these tourists.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

KinkyJohn posted:

They've also just looted a blood bank, petrol bombed hospitals and water tankers and are firing automatic rifles at ambulances.

There is speculation that a large part of the unrest (certainly the more destructive parts) are being instigated by factions within the ANC who want Ramaphosa to fail and see somebody in power who will pardon Zuma.

Zuma is our Zulu Trump. He's the reason a lot of these people are unemployed to begin with.

It rings true to me (as just some guy in North America, but I did at least work in SA for a few months) that parts of the ANC are instigating this. Either to make Ramaphosa look bad or to somehow apply pressure to get Zuma off (no idea if this is possible) or as a sort of lesson: this is what happens when you convict someone of corruption, better not do it to anyone else.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

What does LP stand for here?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

What's the deal with Afar? They're attacking neighbouring groups, but unrelated to the original war involving Tigray? Or is it actually part of the same conflict? I cannot yet keep these groups separate in my head.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

So Somalis blockaded the road. They did this because they're getting hosed up by Afar. Blockading the road puts pressure on the central government, who could in turn pressure Afar to ease up on the Somalis. Is that basically it?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Those demands seem pretty reasonable

E: I guess since "invaders" here means the central government it could be a hard sell

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 30, 2021

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Gimmick Account posted:

Sub-Saharan Africa is not exactly my area of expertise, so I have little to offer to this thread other than my heartfelt thanks to Saladman and company for keeping us updated. Please don't mistake the silence after your super-informative posts as disinterest! I'm checking in once or twice a day, and I'm sure others are as well.

Same

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

omnatigray.org is a very slick website. Demands for Biden-Harris, twitter campaigns, a spot to "report disinformation", a call to stop the genocide in Tigray, etc.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

PawParole posted:

it’s complicated, but the Ethiopian army is made up mostly of non-Abyssinian conscripts who are not eager to die to restore (shewan) amharan hegemony, which is why they keep surrendering.

If it seems like TPLF might take the capital, they will fight and have higher moral.

Wait, Abyssinia is the name of the biblical empire. They're not an ethnic group-- are they?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

This seems not good for the central government.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

loving lol. Credit to the BBC for having a service in a language I hadn't heard of until a few months ago.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

So what if anything is the African Union doing about the war in Ethiopia?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

https://twitter.com/TelegraphWorld/status/1434532668910325769

Can't comment on the source. This is near the tri-point of Ethiopia, Sudan, and Eritrea.

The Telegraph is a major UK newspaper. They're more reliable than a random twitter account, at least.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Are international journalists allowed to report from Ethiopia? I find the lack of reliable sources to be odd given the scale and international character of this conflict. I basically only see Tigray get mentioned but little mention of Oromia or the OLA.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

fez_machine posted:

The internet/vulture capital completely gutted foreign affairs reporting. The old model of thousands of smaller newspapers paying for agency/news wire reporting no longer exists and there's been belt tightening on international reporters all around for the last 15 years.

For most international conflicts why have a reporter on the ground when there's think tank analysts and the internet doing work for you and besides local and national news is what most people want to hear (especially in a pandemic)?

I see what you're saying, but international reporting of conflicts absolutely still exists, even for the less-sexy conflicts. BBC and Al-Jazeera come immediately to mind, while wire news services have people coming reports from all over. Even in Syria outlets would take about "unconfirmed reports" based on some YouTube video, but in Ethiopia I don't see even that.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Earlier this year the Ethiopian government was making similar statements about people defending themselves, though I don't think it was the capital.

I don't know how possible it is for the capital to call or even be directly attacked-- I still find this conflict quite opaque and confusing to be honest

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

i say swears online posted:

that 1% though, they've read the wiki articles and know

Finally, I am the 1%.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

What do other countries (or rebel groups) in the region think about Addis falling? May they intervene in one way or another?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Hoooooly poo poo

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Has that video been verified? I don't find anything like it from major outlets. I find it difficult to navigate information for this conflict, I find there are very few sources and even fewer that she very trustworthy.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

the obvious drone footage means that it can't be very old and they're holding aloft what looks sort of what the TPLF flag if i squint, but that's mostly the red+yellow/orange triangle shape which i suppose is a fairly general design and could also belong to other groups

e. by "not very old" i mean "from the present conflict", not "within the last few weeks" to be clear

My thought was the numbers could be inflated by the TDFs own members. A long shot, I think, but I wish there was some independent journalist there that could confirm.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Grape posted:

Doesn't that bring him into heavily ethnic Oromo territory? Or is the idea that Kenya is a good place to escape to?

Abiy is himself Omoro so fleeing to Omoro territory makes sense?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I came across a book on Amazon the other day. Its about the conflict in the DRC during the 90s. I only recently learned how heavily Rwanda was involved in the conflict and that it is important to understand this conflict to understand the region today. Can anyone comment on the book? Or recommend another book (or podcast) on the subject?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Charlz Guybon posted:

How is the war on Ethiopia going? The war in Europe is taking up all the war reporting.

The cease fire seems to be holding. Tigray says they're leaving territory they're occupying in the Afar region.

However there are still desperate food shortages in the Tigray region. There is a bit of aid getting through but only a fraction of what is needed. I don't know what the problem is there.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Grouchio posted:

Last thing I had heard Abiy Ahmed was personally leading a counter-offensive around Dec/Jan. How'd that go?

Went pretty well.

Remember how the rebels were in spitting distance of the capital? Well it seems like they overstretched their lines; I wonder if the government let this happen on purpose. Anyway, the government rolled up the rebel advance and pushed them far back from the capital. In late Dec Tigray forces sued for peace and the government indicated it wouldn't re-take the rebel capital. In march the government declared its own ceasefire, ostensibly for humanitarian reasons. Tigray forces just announced they were withdrawing from neighbouring Afar.

The humanitarian situation still seems pretty dire but it doesn't look like war is going to break out again in the short term. No idea if there's potential for lasting peace.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Also re: "mild misrule" of the Derg, isn't that then Ethiopia had its awful famines?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

On another subject, I recently read Dancing in the Glory of Monsters by Jason Stearns and it really helped me understand both the civil war in Congo as well as the Rwandan genocide by putting them in a political/historical context. I'd love something similar for Ethiopia if anyone has suggestions.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Elyv posted:

Thanks for posting updates.

Same, it's appreciated

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

On the other hand: 'foreign power supplying equipment which ends up being used by baddies" is quite common.

What would be interesting to know here is if France does indeed supply that truck to Burkina Faso, and also what militias they support. If info isn't available for Burkina Faso then looking at neighboring countries where France is also Hector involved could provide clues.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

does russia do literally anything nonmilitary in africa? i haven't seen any FDI by them whatsoever, they don't even loan shark like the chinese

This is a good question

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Is it more of a focal point?

The outside world still views it largely as a backwards place. A place to extract resources from, a place for big companies to do business, maybe host a military base. Not a place of equals though, not a place to be respected. The internal conflicts of the continent I think are still mostly that, internal. The Ukrainian war has involved much of the rest of the world. But wars in Ethiopia, Congo and now Sudan struggle to attract outside attention. I think eventually this will change but it will take some country or region in Africa to become a lot more rich/organized/militarily strong. With rapid economic growth that could happen pretty quickly but I don't think we're there yet.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

ECOWAS threatening military action is interesting. The group has intervened in the region several times before in response to coups.

However, there have been several coups in the region in the last three years. Plus most of these countries are already fighting rebellions and/or rampant banditry/lawlessness. It's hard for me to picture Nigeria sending and effective force to Niger when they can't control multiple parts of their own country.

Maybe ECOWAS is trying to get France or the US to do some of the heavy lifting for them.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Yeah you're probably right on that

Is either France or the US in good enough shape to consider an intervention? I think the US is busy enough with Ukraine/Russia. This is more of France's thing, not sure about their capabilities or appetite these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Owling Howl posted:

Yeah I doubt freedom or self-determination is a priority to the military juntas and it doesn't seem like they particularly care about having the funds to feed people.

I'm not really clear on what France is doing in the region today. I understand the historical context which is reason enough in itself for many to not want them there and if that's a priority for people then they should boot them out. That's fine - go for it.

But what level of control does France exert there now and in what ways is it harming people?

I'm curious about this too.

Militarily at least France fights, and gets others to fight, islamist militants in the region. This carries with it the standard civilian casualties, cosying up to brutal local militias, and general lawlessness that comes from distant powers being involved in local power struggles.

But the junta is saying they'll keep doing all this. They cite the fight v islamist groups as a reason for their coup.

So... I don't actually know what the grievances are against France, specifically. Aside from colonizer = bad, which is fine, but loses some oomph when you go to Wagner instead.