Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Can someone explain to me how Austerity works in economics. I understand the concept but not the implemetation and how it actually saves an economy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

LeoMarr posted:

Can someone explain to me how Austerity works in economics. I understand the concept but not the implemetation and how it actually saves an economy

That's because it doesn't work, nor does it save the economy. Keynes 101.

Caros
May 14, 2008

LeoMarr posted:

It doesn't. Hth.

In all seriousness, it just doesn't. Every place austerity was tried post recession recovered more slowly than places that had neutral of stimulus policies. Austerity in the face of a recession involves putting a lot of people out of their jobs in the middle of an unemployment crisis to somehow fix the Economy. It is stupid.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Caros posted:

It doesn't. Hth.

In all seriousness, it just doesn't. Every place austerity was tried post recession recovered more slowly than places that had neutral of stimulus policies. Austerity in the face of a recession involves putting a lot of people out of their jobs in the middle of an unemployment crisis to somehow fix the Economy. It is stupid.

Okay but whats the end goal, How is it Supposed to fix the economy if it works? I knoe it doesnt, but I want to know what the people behind austerity claim to know.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

LeoMarr posted:

Okay but whats the end goal, How is it Supposed to fix the economy if it works? I knoe it doesnt, but I want to know what the people behind austerity claim to know.

It's supposed to increase investor confidence in the government, which will lead these people to invest in the country (Krugman's "confidence fairy").

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Starving a horse will make it run faster, pull harder.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
It comes from the idea that, contrary to what naive people might believe, every cent of government spending is actually thrown into a black hole and has no impact on the overall society. Therefore, if you cut government spending, you can get a government's debt in control with no unpredictable consequences, because we've decided for ideological reasons that government spending has no positive impact on the economy, and therefore the removal of government spending will have no negative impact.

The real answer is that austerity's goal has nothing to do with improving an economy, and everything to do with hysterically focusing on month-to-month debt servicing, at any expense, in order to give investors time to de-leverage themselves from the country in question.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
It's a kneejerk reaction to a complex problem, and as in most situations kneejerk reactions end up making things worse. The proponents of austerity (at best) believe that they're helping solve the problem of a deficit by reducing government spending. Immediately this might look good because less spending might mean less debt, right? At worst, they have an agenda and are pushing austerity because they want to reduce the role of government as a whole and taking away its funding is an easy way to do that.

Of course, it never works because laying off tons of people in the name of austerity sends the economy into a greater tailspin, making recovery that much more difficult.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 15, 2015

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

but wont the country be in perpetual debt if they are following austerity

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

LeoMarr posted:

Congrats, you're smarter than anyone who works for the IMF, the ECB, or the German government.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

LeoMarr posted:

Poorly. It does have the advantage of causing far less harm to the very wealthy than the poor, I suppose?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Badger of Basra posted:

Congrats, you're smarter than anyone who works for the IMF, the ECB, or the German government.
Oh I'm pretty sure the German government realizes exactly the outcome.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Heavy neutrino posted:

The real answer is that austerity's goal has nothing to do with improving an economy, and everything to do with hysterically focusing on month-to-month debt servicing, at any expense, in order to give investors time to de-leverage themselves from the country in question.

Can you expand on on this? What does "focusing on month-to-month debt servicing" mean? How does it connect to giving investors time to deleverage?

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

LeoMarr posted:

you are trying to find a plausible explanation for how austerity fixes economies when none exists. the reason austerity policies are able to be implemented is simply that the economic experts who know enough to question them do not have enough influence to oppose pro-austerity governments and ngos.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

KiteAuraan posted:

That's because it doesn't work, nor does it save the economy. Keynes 101.

Actually Keynes did defend it, during times of prosperity, so that you could lessen the debt.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

could austeriry work if they cut some spending but left other spending unchanged or larger

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Crowsbeak posted:

Actually Keynes did defend it, during times of prosperity, so that you could lessen the debt.

Keynes was arguing that you should raise taxes in times of prosperity, though. I don't think austerity proponents would approve of that.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

LeoMarr posted:

could austeriry work if they cut some spending but left other spending unchanged or larger

Reminder you are asking people who have literally no clue what they are talking about.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

LeoMarr posted:

Well what is generally meant by austerity is general sweeping cuts in public payouts in the sense of government employees, and I think often pensions and benefits being extended to the public. That's different from cutting Program X and expanding Program Y since presumably the latter is for a particular goal

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
economics hasn't predicted gently caress-all ever.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

LeoMarr posted:

thats not austerity, thats just adjusting your budget. whether it works or not depends on whats being cut and whats being increased.

the current austerity policies being promoted are based on the idea that cutting government spending in a recession is inherently beneficial, and that is just outright false.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Base Camp Blanket posted:

Can you expand on on this? What does "focusing on month-to-month debt servicing" mean? How does it connect to giving investors time to deleverage?

Well what they end up doing is cannibalizing methods the government has to actually get revenue for an immediate return. A common example I see happen a lot is a city contracting out its parking meters to a private company. The city gets an instant lump sum it can use to pay back its debts, but it doesn't see any returns from the parking meters for the term of the contract. It doesn't sound awful at first, especially if your city is worried about defaulting, but you're now bringing in less money in the long run so your debt is just going to climb back up (all else being equal).

This also means that people invested in this hypothetical city have more time to pack up and leave. It surely isn't going to fool anyone who knows a goddamn thing about economics, so the only investors who are going to have more "confidence" in the city's economy are the people looking to pick its bones clean with the aforementioned contracts. Everyone else is just hoping they don't default before they can pull all their money out and put it elsewhere.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

1. More money for us
2. gently caress you

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

tsa posted:

Reminder you are asking people who have literally no clue what they are talking about.

if you see a mistake feel free to correct it

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is it fair to say that austerity is another of the many loving tendrils of libertarianism that infest certain economic circles where those espousing them have never actually been in, close to, or experienced with the situations they are trying to 'assist' (quotation marks the size of the loving moon) others out of?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

so the real point of austerity is to cut the loaners lossess by recovering what they can in the short run and giving themselves time to pull out

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Why did austerity work so well in Germany?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

LeoMarr posted:

so the real point of austerity is to cut the loaners lossess by recovering what they can in the short run and giving themselves time to pull out

that is sometimes the case, but there can be other motives too. for example, over here in britain the government are currently using an austerity policy as an excuse to sell off government assets at well below market rate to politically connected individuals and organisations

example: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30527392

(bear in mind the £180m is from the governments own report- most estimates put the number higher)

Gum fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 15, 2015

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Samuel Clemens posted:

Keynes was arguing that you should raise taxes in times of prosperity, though. I don't think austerity proponents would approve of that.

It is technically a form of austerity. Its just not something that any of them would ever support being that it requires actual brains.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Miltank posted:

A few economists have pointed out that Germany has not in any recent memory fully repaid a major nation-level debt. There's always been some debt forgiveness to go along with reforms.

There's also the argument that the crushing debt payments to the country (and the austerity that went with it) after world war 1 were a major destabilizing factor that helped Hitler rise to power.

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 15, 2015

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Crowsbeak posted:

It is technically a form of austerity. Its just not something that any of them would ever support being that it requires actual brains.

Yeah, that's what I mean. Austerity proponents can't even adhere to their own ideology.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
There's essentially no way to not Austere when your economy is a bubble like Greece's was. It's no different than housing prices needing to return to reality back in 08. Keynes works best on functional economies going through a rough patch, but Greece doesn't actually have a functioning economy.

Basically the difference between putting gasoline in your engine vs. dumping it into a burning fire.

tsa fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 15, 2015

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

LeoMarr posted:

If I was being charitable, I'd say that's just how it works out rather than the intention. On its face, it's a calculated risk. If you default, that stirs up an economic shitstorm, so throw out some austerity measures to cut down on your debt and hope your economy recovers enough to offset what you just did. The reality is, you're betting your economy on the craps table. At best, your economy takes all the longer to recover, and at worst your economy is hosed up beyond repair and everyone who depends on it is hosed too.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

LeoMarr posted:

If you make a formula mistake on your excel spread sheet while doing research, it works very well.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

If you make a formula mistake on your excel spread sheet while doing research, it works very well.

i wanted to bring that up myself but i couldnt remember the name of the study

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Miltank posted:

Net exporters can generally afford to run budget surpluses, but the same cannot be said for net importers. German capitalism was also far healthier at the time of the Great Recession as a consequence of its entry into the Eurozone before, where the shared currency gave it an enormous leg-up in terms of its rate of profit over many of the other Euro countries.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

so austerity doesnt work and its obvious

so why are they signing agreements to continue austerity for longer if it obviously wont work.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

LeoMarr posted:

so austerity doesnt work and its obvious

so why are they signing agreements to continue austerity for longer if it obviously wont work.

Because tossing still-beating hearts into a bonfire has gone out of style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

LeoMarr posted:

Have you tried kill all the poor? Or what about raise VAT and kill all the poor.

• Locked thread