Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

LeoMarr posted:

So back to austerity. why did austerity work for Germany?

Germany chopping $30 billion a year out of a budget of $1.6 trillion is poo poo all. It would be like asking the Greek government to cut $3 billion. But they're not. Interest on Greek debt was 20 billion Euro in 2014. That's like Germany having to cut $300 Billion per year which would cut 0.75% out of their GDP straight off the top, not counting secondary effects.

Germany's real foray into capital-A austerity was in the 1920s and it precipitated the rise of a particular mustached Austrian man you may have heard of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007

LeoMarr posted:

so Greece is going to fall into a fascist pariah state because the last time Austerity got this bad hitler came to power.

Destabilize people's lives enough and they'll fall behind the first strong man rear end in a top hat who will guarantee they can walk down the street safely and not starve.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007

KingFisher posted:

4. The Greek was able to trick the EU/EZ into letting them in.

4. With a nod and a wink, the EU/EZ let Greece in, knowing full well their finances weren't what they said they were.

KingFisher posted:

11. The Greek took the money but did not make the changes, so things got worse, another set of loans was needed, these loans were even better as they let the Greek lower his rates and extend the term on his old credit card bills.

11. Greece took the money and passed three austerity packaged in 2010, satisfying the EU/EZ requirements. It passed further austerity packages at it's creditors behest in June, 2011, February and October 2012, and July of 2013.

A bit of reality kind of changes the tone there, a little, doesn't it? A bit less "Greece is bad with money and needs to pay up" and more "there are systemic problems in the EU/EZ and everyone is at fault".

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007

KingFisher posted:

access to cheap credit was the cause of the crisis?

The greek wouldn't be in this condition if they hadn't borrowed the money.

The EU/EZ wouldn't be in this condition if they were a proper monetary union rather than just a common currency; it's caused by structural problems in the EU/EZ rather than the retarded "Greek household budget" narrative that's being batted around. The problem that's happening with Greece was always going to happen to someone, Greece just got to the bottom first.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007

KingFisher posted:

So explain to me how the "structural problems" of the EU/EZ forced the greek to borrow all that money?

The lack of direct wealth transfer mechanisms between EU/EZ nations, aka a proper monetary union, instead of just a common currency. This is not that loving complicated.

• Locked thread