Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Typo posted:

But that's literally what it means.

Running a fiscal deficit also involve a huge scope of policies and values that are often explicitly contradictory towards each other.

I get it that austerity is a trigger word on D&D, but the OP asked what austerity is and this is an answer.

You could oppose the current implementation of austerity too and that's valid.

Oh boy, are we at the stage where we all post definitions to suit our fancy?

quote:

A state of reduced spending and increased frugality in the financial sector. Austerity measures generally refer to the measures taken by governments to reduce expenditures in an attempt to shrink their growing budget deficits.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/a/austerity.asp

quote:

Difficult economic conditions created by government measures to reduce a budget deficit, especially by reducing public expenditure:

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/austerity

quote:

an economic policy by which a government reduces the amount of money it spends by a large amount

http://www.macmillandictionary.com/us/dictionary/american/austerity

All those definitions are as good as the "financial times lexicon" definition sourced by Wikipedia. But I'm sure when the OP was asking about austerity he was wondering why massive tax increases on the wealthy in Greece haven't worked, right? After all, the line of questions he asked as follow up directly includes:

quote:

could austeriry work if they cut some spending but left other spending unchanged or larger

It's pretty ironic for you to say "Sorry that words don't mean what you hope they mean." though. Maybe "ironic" isn't the right word, let me grab a dictionary and find a better one:

quote:

"(typically of a man or his behavior) obnoxious or contemptible."

Ahh there we go. It's pretty douchey for you to say that.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Typo posted:

Notice how those definitions states that "reduce a budget deficit, especially by reducing expenditures" instead of "reduce a budget deficit by reducing expenditures".

Which means they don't preclude reducing the deficit through tax increases.

http://www.economicshelp.org/blog/6254/economics/what-is-austerity/

You realize I'm mocking you for cherry picking definitions to make a worthless argument, and as a response you cherry picked not only from the definitions I linked but also went out to again cherry pick a definition, right? I'm concerned you may have missed it because I didn't spell it out plainly enough. I'll try again.

Your posts in this thread thus far are obnoxious horseshit, and I'd much prefer to read posts by people who actually have some concept of modern economy who are willing to put in effort to present meaningful data and information about austerity as a response to the Great Recession and not be bombarded by lovely one-liners from you and a handful of other posters about "yeah but what about tax increases and that's not even the definition of austerity I meant, mine is much more broad than the thread discussion :smug: ". My assumption is I'm not the only one so I hope if I cut your poo poo to the chase we won't slog through a dozen pages of your poo poo, but damned if I'm not a hypocrite for contributing to this shitheap pile more than two posts to explain to you how worthless your posts have been thus far, so I won't extend it out further. Hopefully that's clear enough, maybe you'll contribute something meaningful to the topic.

e:

Typo posted:

oh D&D how I've missed you

Apparently not, as now it's "lol d&d amirite". Can't fault a guy for trying I guess. :shrug:

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 22, 2015

• Locked thread