Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

LeoMarr posted:

but wont the country be in perpetual debt if they are following austerity

you are trying to find a plausible explanation for how austerity fixes economies when none exists. the reason austerity policies are able to be implemented is simply that the economic experts who know enough to question them do not have enough influence to oppose pro-austerity governments and ngos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

LeoMarr posted:

could austeriry work if they cut some spending but left other spending unchanged or larger

thats not austerity, thats just adjusting your budget. whether it works or not depends on whats being cut and whats being increased.

the current austerity policies being promoted are based on the idea that cutting government spending in a recession is inherently beneficial, and that is just outright false.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

tsa posted:

Reminder you are asking people who have literally no clue what they are talking about.

if you see a mistake feel free to correct it

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

LeoMarr posted:

so the real point of austerity is to cut the loaners lossess by recovering what they can in the short run and giving themselves time to pull out

that is sometimes the case, but there can be other motives too. for example, over here in britain the government are currently using an austerity policy as an excuse to sell off government assets at well below market rate to politically connected individuals and organisations

example: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30527392

(bear in mind the £180m is from the governments own report- most estimates put the number higher)

Gum fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 15, 2015

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

If you make a formula mistake on your excel spread sheet while doing research, it works very well.

i wanted to bring that up myself but i couldnt remember the name of the study

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
i would say that a solution that requires a major political realignment is not really an easy solution

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

LeoMarr posted:

So Greece is hosed unless they just default on everything and turn into a fascist pariah state basically

oh yeah totally

e: dont get me wrong. greece would still be hosed if it did that instead, just a different kind of hosed

Gum fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 16, 2015

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
the only good ending for greece i can see is if we can figure out a way to pretend greece is repaying its debt when it actually isnt. the money's not there, but the money not being there hasnt stopped us before.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
i actually dont know. i guess it would depend a lot on if this hypothetical 'post-collapse' greek state is seen as the same entity as the pre-collapse one, but im really not sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

LeoMarr posted:

So the way to fix the debt is to sell off everything the government has, which will pay off the debt but leave the country in financial ruin after the debt is paid. So they take more loans out to build up their assets and the cycle countinues?

it's commonly known as 'the austerity death spiral'

• Locked thread