Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!
What if Greece just declares itself a bunch of city-states again?

e: This was just a dumb joke but now I'm genuinely curious - if the national government completely dissolves does the debt dissolve with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

demonicon posted:

Within the Eu Germany isn't a net exporter. The trade is pretty balanced.

But outside of the EU they are, so...???

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

Bwee posted:

Can someone please explain the pro-austerity argument, I understand that it's a "rich get richer" thing but they can't sell it like that

They appeal to a vague notion of spartan virtue which appeals to small-government nationalists of many stripes. They also have tame economists.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

Uroboros posted:

So I'm so super ignorant in this topic. Greece is heavily in debt and in a financial crisis while the US is deeply in debt but doesn't seem to be on the verge of economic collapse. Is this purely because of political power? The owners of Greece's debt are actually larger than their debtor while the U.S. has its debt spread amongst many lesser economic powers who would suffer majorly if the U.S. collapsed and thus have no interest in forcing the issue?

One part of the answer is that about 2/3rd of the US federal debt is held domestically by US citizens and institutions, which is even better than than debt held by like Luxembourg.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

ColoradoCleric posted:

Seems like there is several types of austerity going on here, the low taxes and low public spending in America, the privatization in the U.K., and the restructuring of Greece's debt.

They all have the same goal: destroy welfare states.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

KingFisher posted:

You see Greek is like a household.

If you're comparing national economies to households you're already way outside of economic reality.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

KingFisher posted:

I am using it as pejorative, to demean the greek, they brought this on themselves, they are children unfit to govern themselves.

They voted for the corrupt politicians, to maintain inefficiency in the economy and the system of clientelism.
They lived high on the hog with easy credit and did nothing to improve their economy when given many opportunities to do so.

They should reap what they sow, every last euro should be repaid.

They voted for the good times, now they should pay the bill.

So even if we did live in your fantasy world of the Filthy Degenerate Greek - you think all the children who can't vote in that country deserve to suffer through "austerity"? Or all the Fiscally Responsible opposition voters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

paragon1 posted:

I find it extremely telling that you haven't come up with an answer for who *forced* the Germans to make the loan.

You don't seem to understand that the creditor has more money than the debtor so they're better people. Because capitalism meritocracy something something.

• Locked thread