Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Uroboros posted:

So I'm so super ignorant in this topic. Greece is heavily in debt and in a financial crisis while the US is deeply in debt but doesn't seem to be on the verge of economic collapse. Is this purely because of political power? The owners of Greece's debt are actually larger than their debtor while the U.S. has its debt spread amongst many lesser economic powers who would suffer majorly if the U.S. collapsed and thus have no interest in forcing the issue?

Also, is there a way to merely compartmentalize Greece's current debt with NO further interest? Have them set a new balanced budget that is set to pay back the current debt slowly overtime with no threat of further accumulating interest?

As Hobologist said the problem is that they owe other people Euros and they can't print Euros like the U.S. could with dollars. They actually need to produce goods to pay back the debt but their economy stinks and austerity and crisis made it far worse.

Of course other countries could forgive their debt or stop charging interest but they simply don't want too. They want their money back and the interest too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The people who sincerely push austerity as necessary (instead of as a cynical ploy to get their money out or whatever) basically believe that the boogeyman debt monster will consume us all and we need to just tighten our belts and get our spending under control or else we'll face an inevitably bigger crash in the future.

To avoid debt you do need to not spend too much and take in enough revenue. That's true everywhere all the time.

This thread is horrible as far as people actually understanding what they're discussing.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

KennyTheFish posted:

Correct me if I am wrong, but most of the reason the household analogy for governments is stupid is because governments control the money supply. If they don't, as in the case with the euro, does the analogy hold? If it does, what does this mean for economics?

If a government has borrowed too much money then it needs to save more money. It's that simple. The household analogy is useful there.

The thing that's not simple is determining the best way for the government to save more money. Austerity is the direct route: spend less/save more. The problem with this, and one way the household analogy breaks down, is that there is a feedback effect where drastic changes in government spending cause problems due to disemployment and the initial disruption of the rapid change. When the government stops spending it may cause it to earn less in the future.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Pohl posted:

Still waiting for a few examples where austerity worked well and everyone came out healthy and happy. C'mon, there has to be a few examples out there..??

Austerity in the sense of not spending too much money works well for every country that isn't in a debt crisis.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Nice graph.

Friendly reminder: austerity means decreasing the deficit. For those who still don't get it but post in this thread.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Pohl posted:

I'm willing to fully admit my take on Austerity is complicated. I think that simple definitions of austerity actually excuse it or defend it, much like fascism. It is a complicated issue and you can't just break it down into something like a 3 part definition; sorry if that doesn't satisfy you.
Here is my take on it:

I'm going to link a paper that talks about austerity being, at it's core, the cut of state spending.
This is the big thing with austerity. Something we can all certainly agree on, I would guess.
Cutting state spending when state spending is too high, is a good thing? RIght? Also, how much is too much?
But what are we talking about exactly? That is the important question.

That is a simplistic and simple idea that is, well, rather dumb. That may be the ideal goal of austerity, but does that by definition even loving work? Hell, the point is, are the ideas included in austerity even loving civilized?

Here is the paper I was referencing, IAMNOTADOCTOR. Maybe that will help you understand why I can't just give you a few defining features of what Austerity is.

http://www.gbz.hu-berlin.de/downloads/pdf/hugh-mackay-sociological-perspectives-on.pdf

Some highlights:

gently caress it, I'm going to just link it and hope you read it, because I have to format everything I post: http://www.gbz.hu-berlin.de/downloads/pdf/hugh-mackay-sociological-perspectives-on.pdf

When we say austerity, I think we all know what we are talking about, and getting bogged down in the minutiae of definition at this point is counterproductive. Iceland was an example of the public rebelling against austerity, while Kansas, as a state the very definition of austerity. We should be able to agree on those things, if we can't, then there is no discussion to be had.

I wanted to highlight this post^^^.

Also goddamnit, Iceland did not do austerity, stop saying it did.
And why are we cutting spending when spending is fine? Why are we doing that? Because business will increase and income will increase in that vacuum?? Austerity is loving bullshit.

Austerity is simple.

You've gone off the rails trying to remake the definition to suit your own argument.

Recognize what austerity is and then argue for why it won't work in this case. It's a much straighter path to the same place you're trying to go.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Trent posted:

This definition is so overly simplistic and context-blind as to be worse than useless. It's like you showed up in a thread about racism in the American south and posted "by definition, friend of the family just means ignorant person. :smug: "

Actually that's part of my point. The definition of austerity is broad enough that it doesn't necesarily include context. The definition of a knife doesn't tell you how it's used. Whether a knife or hammer is used for good or bad is a seperate question.

Here people are trying to pretend the definition of austerity is the equivalent of "murderous weapon" to make their arguments easier when it's actually a fairly routine policy that sometimes works fine.

OwlFancier posted:

It especially doesn't make sense because you can decrease the deficit by raising taxes or waiting for the economy to grow, which are independent of spending.

Well correct but the context of that graph (spanning the recent recession) was primarily a combination of budget cuts and revenue increases, not growth. Which is consistent with the Krugman definition posted earlier.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Melted_Igloo posted:

Raising taxes on the wealthy is not austerity, they will just find ways to invest their money elsewhere through loopholes and political corruption

The thread is now supporting laffer.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Voyager I posted:

By this definition, shifting towards a Scandinavian welfare state could be considered Austerity so long as the additional taxes on the wealthy outweighed the increased benefits to the poor.

If we're going to define the term so broadly that it includes literally any measures that result in a net decrease in the budget deficit then the term is essentially meaningless since it now includes a huge scope of policies and values that are often explicitly contradictory towards each other.

I continue to propose that the thread use the actual definition of the word austerity while discussing austerity.

wikipedia posted:

In economics, austerity is a set of policies with the aim of reducing government budget deficits. Austerity policies may include spending cuts, tax increases, or a mixture of both.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Trent posted:

Definitions don't include context, like EVER. By definition.

Context is about where the term is being used. This thread is the context that tells us which meaning we're using. In the context of this thread, it is plainly obvious that we're discussing austerity in terms of bad economies and recovery from recession, not raising taxes in good times.

Context shouldn't be a hard concept here.

Yeah and? The context of austerity in the recent financial crisis applies to Greece, the UK, Iceland and a few other countries with varrying results. Do you agree or disagree. I take exception to the definition where people pretend austerity only means Greek failure.

Also, to be clear, austerity isn't a reaction to recession. It's a reaction to debt.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Trent posted:

And you made a stupid comment about a definition not including context.

It means Greek failure, British failure and several other kinds of failure in proportion to the severity of the service cuts. The most successful austerity is the least austerity, and the most successful stimulus is the most stimulus.

Austerity prior to the debt crisis would have prevented the debt crisis.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

How do you think most countries avoid debt crisis?

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Peel posted:

This is incorrect, or if correct, irrelevant. The periphery governments (sans Greece) were fiscally responsible prior to the economic crisis. The debt crisis itself occured due to large increases in deficits caused by the recession together with private liabilities owed to northern European banks being taken onto the public balance sheet of southern European countries, occurring in a context where the countries are on an ersatz gold standard created by the Euro. Countries with post-WW2 monetary systems such as Japan, the UK or the US can swallow all those things with zero difficulty.

It could be considered to be correct in the sense that sufficiently large austerity would have led to a large enough surplus and small enough (maybe even negative) government debt to weather the storms, but this is an irrelevant technical point since such a large surplus would be economically ruinous and is well outside what is normally considered required for fiscal probity, correctly so given that the crises would have been impossible in a properly designed Eurozone.

This all allowing the use of 'austerity' to mean 'increasing the state budget surplus at any time' rather than its more usual usage pointed out by Comrade Lenin.

Either we decide debt crisis is inevitable in the euro or we recognize that debt management can prevent it.

V. Illych L. posted:

uh austerity before the crisis would not have been austerity, as "austerity" commonly used refers to cutting spending in response to a downwards conjuncture in the economy, not countercyclical spending

This is wrong. People will even refer to austerity in the U.S. to represent a state of mind despite the fact that the U.S. on the whole has done the opposite.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

cheese posted:

That depends on your definition of austerity. The governmental response to the 2008 recession was a stimulus package only a fraction of the size of the collapse of private sector demand, and the package was laden with almost worthless tax cuts.

Ok so you're suggesting austerity might be anything less than full throttle stimulus (not entirely unreasonable) and I'm getting flack for applying austerity to anything other than a failed state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Why is this E/N?

• Locked thread