Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

LeoMarr posted:

Can someone explain to me how Austerity works in economics. I understand the concept but not the implemetation and how it actually saves an economy
Poorly. It does have the advantage of causing far less harm to the very wealthy than the poor, I suppose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

LeoMarr posted:

could austeriry work if they cut some spending but left other spending unchanged or larger
Well what is generally meant by austerity is general sweeping cuts in public payouts in the sense of government employees, and I think often pensions and benefits being extended to the public. That's different from cutting Program X and expanding Program Y since presumably the latter is for a particular goal

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

LeoMarr posted:

well yeah, I knew that. I really wanted to believe that austerity would have some way to work. and I guess it does if your economy can support it, but Greece's debt outweighs its GDP so it can't.
I think the issue is that it could be done in a way that 'works' to address some economic issue in an otherwise healthy economy or one with a wide industrial base or something, but when it's thrown on a small/simpler economy like a giant turd issued from banking cannons in Germany, all it accomplishes is misery.

• Locked thread