Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tsioc
Sep 12, 2007
Recently it started having problems again, and it got to where I couldn't start it. I changed the spark plugs, and with several tries and some starter fluid I was able to get it running, but it sounds like it's barely idling, and no matter how far I depress the accelerator there is no change. I got it to start again, no starter fluid but still difficult, and I find that the only way that the only effect it has is to cause the engine to stall when I lift my foot off the pedal.

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Any check engine light/trouble codes? Is the fuel fresh?

That sure sounds like a fuel flow issue to me, but it's hard to say without looking.

What sort of "problems" was it having? Stalling? Hesitation under acceleration? Rough idle? Details help.

Tsioc
Sep 12, 2007
Earlier this year it would stall at stops unless I turned off the ac and switched to neutral. At it's worst I also had to apply pressure to the accelerator to keep the idle from dropping so low that it stalled. When I would accelerate there was usually hesitation, but once it got going it seemed fine. No problems at all on the freeway.

The idle was DEFINITELY rough, and I had CEL with codes indicating misfire on 3 and 4. For a while when I stopped after driving for a good amount of time, I had to either immediately restart, or I couldn't restart the engine until it cooled for a while.

I changed the oil/filter, cleaned the MAF sensor, changed the air filter, and cleaned the throttle body(just an on car cleaning of the plate). I also ran some fuel system cleaner. It still ran bad, then one day it just ran fine, for months. More recently it started having similar problems, so I again ran fuel system cleaner with no effect. Then on the way home a week ago it stalled at a stop sign, and I couldn't get it started again.

Since then I've cleaned the MAF sensor, replaced the PCV valve, no effect. I changed the spark plugs and was able to get it started, but I now have the problems I mentioned in the original post. I'm thinking of removing the throttle body, and trying to clean the idle air control valve in the hopes that it might help.

I also have a slow oil leak, and I think oil consumption, as the leak doesn't seem fast enough to account for the amount of oil I've been losing.

It's a 1zz-fe engine. about 150k miles on it, and very poor(basically none) maintenance on it for the past 9 years. Here's an image of the spark plugs I took out, they had only been in there for 6 months or so. Cylinders 1, 2, 3, 4 in order from left to right.

Thank you for taking the time to try and help.

Tsioc fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 16, 2015

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tsioc posted:

Earlier this year it would stall at stops unless I turned off the ac and switched to neutral. At it's worst I also had to apply pressure to the accelerator to keep the idle from dropping so low that it stalled. When I would accelerate there was usually hesitation, but once it got going it seemed fine. No problems at all on the freeway.

The idle was DEFINITELY rough, and I had CEL with codes indicating misfire on 3 and 4. For a while when I stopped after driving for a good amount of time, I had to either immediately restart, or I couldn't restart the engine until it cooled for a while.

I changed the oil/filter, cleaned the MAF sensor, changed the air filter, and cleaned the throttle body(just an on car cleaning of the plate). I also ran some fuel system cleaner. It still ran bad, then one day it just ran fine, for months. More recently it started having similar problems, so I again ran fuel system cleaner with no effect. Then on the way home a week ago it stalled at a stop sign, and I couldn't get it started again.

Since then I've cleaned the MAF sensor, replaced the PCV valve, no effect. I changed the spark plugs and was able to get it started, but I now have the problems I mentioned in the original post. I'm thinking of removing the throttle body, and trying to clean the idle air control valve in the hopes that it might help.

I also have a slow oil leak, and I think oil consumption, as the leak doesn't seem fast enough to account for the amount of oil I've been losing.

It's a 1zz-fe engine. about 150k miles on it, and very poor(basically none) maintenance on it for the past 9 years. Here's an image of the spark plugs I took out, they had only been in there for 6 months or so. Cylinders 1, 2, 3, 4 in order from left to right.

Thank you for taking the time to try and help.

First off resize that image or [timg] it or something, it's fuckoff massive.

As for the spark plugs... :stare: Only 6 months old you say?

Those look like all the google pictures I see for ash fouling, which is either way too much fuel cleaner or large amounts of burning oil. Between that, your oil consumption issue, and the way those threads look, I'd bet money on the latter. Either the valve stem seals are leaking or the head gasket; if there's no signs of coolant loss (having to top off the system, white smoke from the tailpipe, coolant puddles) it's most likely the seals. I wouldn't be surprised if the rings were shot too, might be a good idea to get a compression test.

It's not the IAC valve, that would cause lovely idle but it would rev and drive normally.

Pull the new plugs out and see if they're hosed-up looking. Also check the spark plug wires/coilpack boots (idk what setup that car has) and make sure they look all right, no cracking, oil fouling, etc.

E: Actually on second thought that might indeed be coolant fouling, check your coolant level.

• Locked thread