Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im reading up on iphone 8 launch and apparently the retail was astonishingly abysmal. x is going to be like hosed on supply for 6 months ahead lol

also, the december earnings call

sarnsung prepping the galaxy notch to drop 5 months from now, and some exciting fake X2 rumors to drop the following month so the holdouts keep holding :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Rex-Goliath posted:

convincing people to not spend money doesn't seem like a next-level pro strat imo

crap, that explains why im not a ceo

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Hed posted:

This but also how do I get yelp and bs like that out. All I want is awful stickers

Messages is becoming the Win95 system tray

SO DEMANDING posted:

did they increase the font weights again? not necessarily bad just kind of funny how they've been slowly paring poo poo back from how it was in iOS 7. right now though i think i'd describe the overall appearance as "haphazardly bold".

yeah, the line widths on some of the icons are also wider. ios11 is thicc

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Sagebrush posted:

kinda reminds me of the proto-sperglords who told william gibson that all the rich multimedia he imagined for the future internet would never be possible because the bandwidth wasn't there

same, but with bitcoin

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

been using the touch bar since release, still loving stinks and there hasn't been a single day I go "oh that was very cool and useful"

like maybe once I pushed "ok" on the touch bar instead of moving my mouse to the dialog box

Touch ID button is great though
rest of the touchbar sucks
every day I miss the escape key (touchbar can hide it sometimes if you change volume and forget to exit the volume screen, for instance lol it's so bad)

the touchbar esc key is so bad, they move it over an inch and literally have an empty bezel in the spot where a physical escape key could be just as an extra gently caress you to the user. just abort the whole thing and put face id in next year's model timb

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
all apple needs to do is help the cpu-intensive x86 developers to support ipad pro, which already exists. they can make a switch once the important apps that would suffer under emulation are on board

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Generic Monk posted:

i handbraked a few wmvs i (somehow) had lying around over to h265 in order to somehow jusitfy installing a beta operating system. for some reason wanted to use quicktime player for the first time in like 15+ years, and wasn't encoding my 100GB 10-bit anime fansub rips so plopped them in an mp4 container. turns out quicktime requires some bespoke artisanal mp4 container because it choked on them. probably holding it wrong tho

high sierra plays hvc1 h265 mp4s while handbrake and ffmpeg only create hev1 h265 mp4s
ffmpeg can convert an hev1 h265 mp4 into an hvc1 h265 mov without reencoding, but can't make hvc1 h265 mp4s
the magic command is
code:
ffmpeg -i infile.mp4 -c: copy -tag:v hvc1 outfile.mov
:toot: #codeclife :toot:

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

The Management posted:

I love you

I was literally trying to solve this problem yesterday

:tipshat:

i asked this in the grey forums but the other weird thing in high sierra i found is that it keeps media from the internet quarantined even after being scanned and opened. e.g. if i download a large pdf or a high-def copy of anal milfs 5, it "verifies" the file every time i open it and this can take a while for larger files. i can remove the com.apple.quarantine xattribute to fix this but i still want it to do its thing the first time.. anyone itt know what's up with this, is it the intended behavior? wasn't like this on sierra afaik but haven't seen much about this online

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

but with wireless charging the lightning port is the dedicated headphone jack now

Generic Monk posted:

is there a way to recursively remove the quarantine flag for all files/subfolders in a given folder? i'm poo poo with the command line

there is, but i don't want to remove quarantine scans on new downloaded files automatically, either.. for now i'm just manually removing it from large files as needed, but it's annoying

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
i hope the next macbook has a notch

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

The Management posted:

do you think these morons suddenly grew a brain and figured out how to make a connector that doesn't suck? or did someone hand them a spec and wrote the cable firmware for them and told them "here, make this a standard so that everyone adopts it"?

well they wrote the spec, when is everyone going to adopt it?

Shaggar posted:

tim is waiting for dongle saturation before he switches to usb-c

tim can never achieve dongle saturation, he is insatiable

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

duTrieux. posted:

okay, seriously, what the gently caress do people do to their cables

the only apple cable i've had fall apart on me is a 30-pin from, like, forever ago that i got with a 2nd or 3rd gen ipad and i'm pretty sure that that was because of the cat

every lightning cable i've ever had frayed within about a year, and both magsafe charge cables. never had anything happen to any other cable, including all manner of USB and power cables for PCs, and micro-USB cables used for charging kindles and an android phone.

im pretty sure its damage that gradually builds up bc apple is allergic to cable stress relief. how do you charge your iphone? i charge mine overnight on a horizontal surface with the lightning cable dangling down towards a power outlet (which is a pretty reasonable thing to do, imo). it also subjects the cable to small amounts of shearing stress which apparently makes apple cables gradually disintegrate

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Doc Block posted:

I do the same thing, but have never had the cables fray because I pull them out by the plug like a regular person instead of by the cable like an illiterate ape.

there must be another factor i guess. but even if i were rough on my cables (im not) it wouldn't explain

power cables for nearly a dozen PC laptops? never frayed
serial, parallel, PS/2, USB, and proprietary cables for various mice, keyboards, external hard drives, printers? never frayed
mini/micro-USB charger cables for kindles, wireless headphones, and misc cheapo chinese gadgets? never frayed
charging cables for every cell phone i've owned before an iphone (including an android)? never frayed

30-pin ipod connectors? frayed over time with normal use
lightning connectors? frayed over time with normal use
mag-safe chargers? frayed over time with normal use

always frayed near the connector, which coincidentally have no stress relief

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

The Management posted:

I suppose you would be surprised to learn that we weren't just hunched around a dimly lit table, our fingertips pressed together, laughing at how we're going to screw the customers out of more money with dongles while singing the stonecutters song.

nah. it was a brightly lit orgy suite, solid white with rose gold accents. you were laughing about about screwing the customers on flash storage upgrades, and everyone whose mouth wasn't fully occupied was singing karaoke from The Mandatory U2 Album

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

The Management posted:

the touch bar is a secure display that can show you things the OS can't fake or access, which is required to make sure your Touch ID purchases aren't being spoofed by malware.

that's cool, now explain replacing the hardware esc key with an empty bezel and a shifted-over soft key with no force feedback

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
what if u remap the ` key to esc, it's the top left key on the keyboard and you can map alt-` to ` so u can still make open-quotes in LaTeX or whatever. i mean it's :sad: to have to do it but it could work idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
so, that file quarantine issue with high sierra that i was complaining about? lol it gets worse

1. start with a "safe" file (e.g. take a screenshot)
2. open it in preview or other apple software, then close it. it now has a com.apple.quarantine xattr on it!
3. in finder, go to Get Info and change Open With to any program that's different from a) the current default for that file type, and b) the apple program you just opened it in (so, if Preview is the default for pngs, have your screenshot open by default in Pixelmator, or whatever)
4. try to open the file

i assume this is some poorly-executed attempt to... idk, launder a malicious media file through an exploit in trusted software?

• Locked thread