Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
lol @ the thread title implying apple users are gay or homosexuals and basically using gay/homosexuals as a derogatory term, while also implying that most gay people have AIDS because it's obviously a thing that gay people commonly have

comeon son, you can joke about how inept or money-grabby they are without dragging sexual orientations into this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

what does this mean

it means you quoted stymie

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
oh cool mobile ads blocking

the worst one i've seen is a html5 video ad that literally autoplays with no interaction from users at all when you scroll by, i reloaded the page just to make sure that i didn't accidentally click on anything and it still autoplayed while killing whatever music i had playing

the other ones are those full-page ad-layer that pops up and completely blocks whatever you were trying to read while giving you a tiny tiny x button somewhere on the page that you have to carefully click, any mis-click means you've just clicked on their ad and went to some other terrible page full of ads that'll take ages to load

it's ads all the way down

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

wtf did you do, that just popped up for me too
same and I got logged out of iTunes Match/music service or whatever

rip steve

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

qirex posted:

I'm making an important point that kanye west has terrible taste

mlyp

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Valeyard posted:

can you easily switch between 2 Apple IDs on a single iOS device?
you can't really run two accounts at the same time probably due to design decision regarding usability and limited battery/processing power

if you mean disabling one account and optionally erase its content then login to the other then yeah it will take only few minutes

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
also recently found out that touchid is most likely hard coded to pair with the secure enclave, since phones with swapped touchid sensor, due to damage or whatever, just have the touchid part greyed out in settings

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

maniacdevnull posted:

lol

"Just buy a second ipad, families!"

What a tremendous gently caress you to the average consumer

how much storage/processing power/battery life should be devoted to the other account? how are you going to handle notifications for each users that's coming in at the same time? what sort of security do you need to separate the users memory usage?

most importantly how many users do you think will use this feature to make the resources devoted to this 'worth it'

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Valeyard posted:

lol, you are saying that as if two people will physically be using it at the same time
well yeah the original quote sounded like that, the device going to be switched between multiple users with both accounts logged in at the same time etc.

maniacdevnull posted:

lol

"Just buy a second ipad, families!"

What a tremendous gently caress you to the average consumer
basically the post was mocking someone for physically having a second ipad in the family for some reason because even having two ipads for just two people in the same house is a gently caress you for some reason???

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
what's a good flip phone? especially ones that can do VoLTE with tons of LTE bands

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
new mac air, mac pro retina 15", itouch, iphone 7 and iwatch

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
gently caress ads for loading a bunch of bullshit and makes each page taking like 10 seconds to load even though the main contents are texts and you have good LTE coverage for 50+Mbps speed

and good thing the block is coming just in time as there are more and more loving autoplay html5 video ads that will pause/cut your music as you scroll by the page even if you didn't click/touch anywhere near the frame of the ad

the worst part is that you have to literally go back into the music app to resume your song as the pause/play shortcut in the control center now pause/play the ad

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Stymie posted:

lol look reeeeeal close at most of those pics and see if you can find the surprise! (hint: they're iphones 6)

i want to go ahead quote stymie and say that i agree

yeah apple can do better like making the small 4s sized phone with a9 SoC in it or an unbendable iphone and that idiot users need to be protected from themselves and there's no excuse for apple to make something bad just because other manufacturers made something worse

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
but at the same time they are still the only option if you want to enjoy the benefit of the recent tech advancements

sticking with your 4s?

well guess you will miss out the faster lte speed, voice over lte, noise cancelling that basically allow you to talk in a bar and still hear each other, much faster SoC with better battery life, brighter screen with much more accurate colour that looks decent even in the sun, better camera with the latest sensor that does on-sensor phase detection for instant AF, better and more efficient radio and so on

it all adds up

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

idg the point here. if you want an outwardly physically superior phone you can't get new nice things. that is poo poo
the point is that no one really buys those smaller phones and so no one really makes them anymore so you just make do with whatever is available

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Stux posted:

anyonee who has bent their iphone ahhsbeen absudiong that handset.
idiot users need others to protect them from themselves, it's probably one of the cost of doing business if you want to sell as many phones as possible

on a related note it's funny to see that people complain about how fragile the phone is but no one really do drop test on dSLR cameras or SLR lenses

imagine if they drop tested the canon 300mm 2.8II or 70-200 f2.8 II lens and come away surprised that the glass somehow shattered

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
the closest camera test was this, and like everything else the lcd broke first even though the rest of the electronics/mechanical parts kept on trucking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCT-YMgjm9k

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Stux posted:

eyveyr iphone sincne it has exisited has been a big loving slab of glass theat will break if u drop it. if ur in the businensns of beign a idiot an dbrekaing pheosn then stidkc to plastic android poo poo bxoes u can replace fo r$15 every 2 motnhs.
yep, precision electronics with glass etc.

but you get people like this with this train of thoughts

echinopsis posted:

iphones are meant to be carried on your person like all the time, and should be durable to handle doing so

also whats this about small phone numbers droping off?
which is why the camera lens comparison is pretty apt since you also have to carry it 'on your person like all the time' through rough or even rougher terrains when you go out for a days shooting or something

but no one complains to leica/canon/nikon when they dropped and shattered their multi-thousand dollar lens

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

do the iphone lenses have any moving parts? also they are signifincalty smaller

once sagebrush made an excellent point that constantly driving toward a goal like getting thinner isnt necessarily a good thing in of itself. there will be a sweet spot for thickness and strength. is the iphone6 too thin? my sources are pointing towards maybe
the 6/6s plus has the optical stabilization element in there which is probably really bad with shock, along with the precision aligned lenses

but we are mostly talking about the giant piece of glass in front of the phone's display, which is actually quite a bit larger and thinner compare to the glass elements in most $2000+ camera lenses

and yet people still dont really complain when they dropped and shattered their own camera lenses

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
im sorry smythe and i just hope you have a chill night man

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

Define" Normal Use"

like applying almost a hundred pound or more of force to them is pretty normal if they don't care about the device and just put it in their back pocket and sit on them

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
get fishmech as well, iirc there was a time when shaggar was arguing with fishmech and it was great

cremnob, fishmech, shaggar and stymie

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Puppy Galaxy posted:

its My Truth

i dont care because i already preordered the 6s

it's doing some stuff in the background after the update, let it sit for a few moment and pickup and use it again and it should be fine

if you want to force it then do a reboot or something, but supposedly the system will be doing some sort of cleanup especially after an OTA update, but all is well when i went back about 30 mins later

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Ice_2_c_u posted:

i have a 5 and am fearful of this. probably gonna stay on 8.4.1 for a while, sorry tim

it's fine, the phone is doing some background stuff straight after the update but just go about your day and come back later and the it will be just as fast if not faster with better battery life

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
you want to play?

you gotta pay

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
why would you go anywhere when the pope is in town?

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
wait you can jailbreak to add pressure sensor?

it's like the same idiots who complained that there's no facetime on 3gs and they wanted to jailbreak to add that functionality because using the back camera for video chat is somehow a usable thing

it also meant that they had to clone the ecid/deviceid or whatever from another iphone 4 and hack that onto the jailbroken 3gs in order for the device to be even registered, but of course that breaks a bunch of other stuff too on both phones

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

emoji posted:

Remember in like 2010 when it was cool to jailbreak iPhones and they had that functionality and it worked flawlessly

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
yeah but the main thing about the new feature is the pressure sensing

Smythe posted:

*clears throat* Anroid, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SplzQL0eInI

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAlvzPLJpj0

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

i dont like stealing poo poo, i just dont like paying for poo poo.

i still like what asia is doing regardless
yeah nz is following asia's cratering economy pretty well

":qq::qq:crapple raised the price of their iphone 6s plus 128gb to 1800NZD:qq::qq:"

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

but speed doesn't matter when it doesn't scan correctly anyway according to stymie and shaggar

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

DuckConference posted:

If you have low-impedance/high-efficiency headphones, the 6s makes them buzz when the CPU does stuff, kind of like the audio outputs on a taiwanese motherboard from 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW-G7IxtXBY

This issue is pretty noticeable with my 6s+ with cheap monoprice headphones, but since you can't hear it with the apple earpods I guess they figured it's close enough.

EDIT:

Same dude made a better video where you can hear it properly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdZ2-9qZipY

lol forever

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

isnt that like more than a tank of gas for a normal car?

regular non gas-guzzling car can do it with like 1/3 to 1/4 to spare

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
li-ion battery actually discharge better at slightly elevated temp, as opposed to driving tesla in the snow will easily kill your range

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Snapchat A Titty posted:

why drive your tesla in the snow though?
they sell quite a few of them to nordic countries

The Management posted:

yes, but they get warm as they discharge and in hotter weather they can't dissipate that heat as well. tesla batteries are both actively cooled and actively heated. fun fact, if you park your tesla unplugged in freezing temperatures you will wake up with considerably less charge than when you left it. plugging it into a normal 110v plug will just give it enough energy to maintain current charge levels.
yeah li-ion self discharge quite quickly in higher temp when they are not being used, while they actually store better in colder temps as it has a lower self-discharge rate

but since the car is designed to be driven, you are probably right and they'll do whatever they can to keep the battery warm and ready to be used in colder climate or else it will drain really really quickly when they start driving it

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
yeah it was lol when Windows did it with small ssd and it made them run terribly with a bunch of problems

and lol apple is doing it now too

maybe 10.11 has some thing to optimize them for smaller fusion drive but if not then lol forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
and they purposely put the wire on the bottom of the mouse so people can't use the mouse as a wired thing

• Locked thread