Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emoji
Jun 4, 2004

QuickSilver is trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

GameCube posted:

i haven't used a mac daily since like 2006. what would you recommend

Alfred and/or Hammerspoon.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Millstone posted:

his update today said he got a letter from apple's lawyers saying there's 'some issue' with a schematic he posted and that they're 'big fans of the channel'.

this came in the form of a 24 minute video because he can never get to the loving point

mad?

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
It's been at least a year since Apple Maps tried to kill me by telling me to cut over 6 lanes despite said merger having permanent signs saying do not attempt or you will die.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

you're already plugging a cable in to the thing. having a single universal port instead of two is better. stop having stupid thoughts.

I'd be hard pressed to find a more universal port than 3.5mm audio. The phones are already too thin.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Toady posted:

the steady march of progress terrifies and confuses nerds. "what do you mean, there's one port instead of two? what if i inexplicably have many things to plug in?"

It's 2 things, headphones and a charger that everyone and their mom have and use regularly. "Progress" will instead make people carry around some kind of y-adaptor, increasing the number of things to plug in. This has nothing to do with "nerds" and you have AIDS.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Toady posted:

this yospos nerd meltdown is almost as bad as when apple announced larger phone screens

The bigger screens are good, though.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
4" is far too small given how phone usage evolved and Apple waited too long to introduce reasonably sized phones, losing craploads of market share. Get over it.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Want to see who you're sending a pic/video to on the newest flagship phone with the latest OS updates? Too bad, human being!

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
And yet it works, every time, is grime and stress tolerant, and easily blindly plugged in from any angle, as if it's designed for the fact that we live in a dirty, rough, physical world.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

a bloo bloo bloo theyre giving me a perfectly acceptable way to continue to do the thing I'm already doing since I'm already insisting on running two physical cables to my phone

You literally have AIDS.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I like how they made the screen glass softer in the newest models. It's cool how the surfaces of my 3gs/4s/5s screens are crystal-like with few localized flaws under reflected light despite being kept in pockets with keys and dropped numerous times and without cases, while my 6s has thousands of tiny pits and scratches distributed all over the screen, despite being less than 6 months old (replacement because of first one having screen issues) and never having been dropped and I'm much more careful about putting it in my pocket with other things and having an Apple case because the phone is too thin to hold comfortably.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

mishaq posted:

get an se

It's too small.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

mishaq posted:

it wasnt too small when you had a 5s

i did 6->se, you get used to it after a week

The way we use our phones has changed.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Why aren't any of these AIDS people capable of providing a single reason as to why bluetooth or extra adaptors improve the product? Bluetooth pairing is dodgy at best and always will be. Not even Apple can make bluetooth work reliably across their own products in ideal conditions without interference today with their latest products. Airdropping a pic from your brand new iPhone to your band new Macbook often requires toggling BT on/off on both devices several times today on July 29. Meanwhile a solution already exists that will always be nearly perfectly reliable.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
https://vine.co/v/Mv2ll9AlKv7

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I had the Apple Store give me a new 6S with less than a week left on my one year warranty because they made the glass soft and lovely and microscratch prone compared to older models so I wanted a new one.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I didn't watch any keynotes or read any threads. I read about the new iPhone announcement in a one page CNN article the next day because it was a more efficient use of my time and had all the relevant information.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Now that the New York Times has picked up on Apple's terrible software they've pointed out you can go to icloud.com and dig around in settings which you would never discover on your own and instead have the spam redirected to your email in lieu of setting up basic filters on their network in the first place and providing a mechanism to delete events.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I don't give a gently caress that you already posted it bitch I already had it typed before I saw.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Shaggar posted:

don't you have to have an icloud email account to get them?

No. I don't even use iCloud for anything except contacts. The calendar invites are addressed to my gmail, but only show up in iCloud calendar and don't go to Google at all(??). Maybe there's a Chinese Apple employee selling access to iCloud caldav infrastructure.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I have iOS 9 because people irl still complain about 10 even tho there's a .1 update.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
This is what happened when I unplugged my monitor, maximized the browser, and plugged it back in.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I've already gone through $10000 worth of AppleCare swaps since they have to replace the entire thing over two computers because of the graphics cards and my laptop never leaves its stand.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

C.H.O.M.E posted:

yes and I do all of this with my headphones plugged in and my phone in my pocket. no one spins. if you need to get up and go for a walk and stretch, take out your headphones, go grab a coworker friend, and walk to the cafe and get a cucumber mint water or one of the many other infused waters available to you. whatever you do, don't sit in your cube and spin like a dork.

My office only has one type of infused water in the break room but it changes every day. I spin for a living.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I got a brand new last gen 13" Macbook Pro today, the last good 13" ever made.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I haven't opened it because I can't plug anything into it

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

yippee cahier posted:

they don't know or they would have left it in. same reason your car doesn't tell you how many days you have until you need to fill up.

You know the correct car analogy is miles remaining. And every car made in the last 10 years does in fact perform this calculation that and adjusts the estimate in realtime as you change driving behavior and it is useful.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

lancemantis posted:

the last time people in this thread used Bluetooth was 2005 I guess

now complain about 802.11a and/or 802.11b, especially the usb antennae :allears:

Wrong. The audio skips out occasionally on an iPhone 6s and new bluetooth speaker in 2016. It fucks up Airdrop discovery constantly in 2016.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

theflyingexecutive posted:

good (enough) coders to make something interesting

:raise:

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Is macOS Sierra much slower than El Capitan or not for things like logging in. It takes like 30 seconds to log in on a brand new Macbook Pro with nothing unusual installed. I did forget to completely wipe and reinstall the operating system on the brand new computer because they somehow always come from the factory with dirty installs that are always much faster when you reinstall. I will have to purchase a dongle to reinstall the OS though.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Apple does not even sell a dongle to use a modern display with their new computers. Their $80 dongle does not carry 4k@60Hz and you have to get one from newegg/amazon (not that you wouldn't anyway).

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I thought that the Macbook Pro that I got was the last generation because I chose the one without the touch bar and assumed it would have normal ports and they used to always have the last gen model on the main store page. I didn't even read the product description nor was I aware they messed up all the new models because I don't watch keynotes and I assumed that it was possible to purchase a 13" Pro with normal ports and got owned. At least it's not my money.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I used it correctly according to Apple philosophy: buying it without needing to pore over a bunch of crap and expecting it to suit my needs without doing a bunch of extra work.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I still like it but they should do something like for people like me who assume the products won't require a bunch of extra bullshit you have to buy from third parties out of the box.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Your Apple Maps results are device/OS dependent lol.

iOS10/totally wrong:

iOS9/correct:

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Maybe Verizon gets different results. Either way, it's reproducible across days.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Agile Vector posted:

http://gspe21.ls.apple.com/html/attribution-46.html

yeah, they kinda like merge tables that poo poo into one service

Business listings data © 2016 iPeen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

• Locked thread