Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

cancelled my order. the normal sized phone not getting flagship features is the dumbest poo poo, i thought they finally figured this out but nope. not gonna spend money on a new phone when the only new feature is "the home button vibrates"

i take lots of pictures but I'm not gonna be one of those goobers taking pics with a loving tablet as big as my head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

PleasureKevin posted:

what are you talking about

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

yeah I'm not paying 800 dollars for less storage and a vibrating hole button. I cancelled that poo poo

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

less storage because I have a 64gb

I'm glad they finally axed the 16gb but it's about 4 years late

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

uncurable mlady posted:

also the jet black plus is shipping in November at this point

I literally cannot believe people order the plus. I've seen one irl ever and was hoping they would kill it off

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

uncurable mlady posted:

i work with several people who have it and borrowed theirs to play around with and decided to go for it this time - it's an adjustment but the extra battery life and screen real estate are nice

When you get to the accessory part of the checkout process do they offer you a fannypack or purse to store it in? maybe some hgh so you can grow manute bol sized hands?

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Doc Block posted:

The storage options are 32 - 128 - 256, so if you still pay the extra $100 to get the midrange storage like you apparently did last time, how is 128GB less than 64GB?

Because I don't need 128gb

I really don't care all that much about the storage, I'm upset that the non plus phone gets shafted on the big feature. it makes me feel like I'm paying today's prices for last years phone and I'm not gonna do it

this is apples new upgrade cycle, plus gets it first because "we can't do it due to size" and then the small phone gets it next year when "our engineers worked really hard to make it work". Like yeah ois adds thickness to the camera assembly but that's not why you made it 6+ exclusive, you wanted a defining feature to get people to pay an additional 120 bucks

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Sep 9, 2016

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Doc Block posted:

LOL I don't "need" 128GB either, but it's the same price as last year's 64GB option, so why not?

You're literally complaining that Apple is giving you twice the space for the same price.

The 7 is still way faster than the 6, and a lot faster than the 6S, and has optical image stabilization, and comes in a color that looks good this time (black).

Jesus Christ just ignore the storage thing. if I were to buy one I'd get the 32gb because it's enough and that's great that it's an option without having to pay extra money

but they've shown that the plus is the flagship and the standard is just an afterthought. I was hoping the 6 was just an outlier as they moved to the new sizes but it clearly is not. if you want the best features you'll buy the plus, and if not you can wait 2 years for it to be added to the non-s revision where you will have the privilege to pay today's prices for yesterday's phone

the phablet is a joke of a form factor when sarnsung, lg, and asus do it. And it's a joke of a form factor when Apple does it

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Sep 9, 2016

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

zen death robot posted:

he's an admin now!

dear god why

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

a list is southwest so lol

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

also you can still plug headphones in and they dont need a battery, even in the new iphone 7

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

all flying sucks, its a tube of farts

a fart tube

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

lmao jesus christ buy one of the thousands of dual port usb chargers and an extra lightning cable

my bag has the current items:

macbook pro
wall charger (dual 2.1 amp)
lightning cable
micro usb cable
20000mah battery bank
ipad air 2
monoprice over the ear bluetooth headphones
travel router
oh and a loving roku streaming stick and remote so i can watch my totally legal media from my plex server in hotel rooms

i could probably even drop the battery bank but occasionally i do get delayed at the airport. a lot more have added usb ports/outlets underneath seats but watching people rush for the outlets and sit on the floor will never not be hilarious

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Sep 13, 2016

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

i'd agree if even the cheapest shittiest vga sensor off digikey didn't have luts

yeah but apple isn't buying from digikey, they're getting a custom component. you're already paying to get a new line set up so anything you remove is coming off the BoM

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

DuckConference posted:

pay an extra third of a cent for inductors with better potting compound? absolutely not. more margin for the margin god

my first thought was actually lack of venting caused by a sealed enclosure, high load means more heat, etc

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

tivo works pretty well and its a hell of a lot cheaper than renting 5 cable boxes

sling box on the other hand is a turd assembled from other turds

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

loquacius posted:

What's the advantage of Apple TV supposed to be over Roku again

Like, I've heard a lot of nebulous "it's just better" assertions but the only reason my Roku has ever given me to be dissatisfied is that the HBO GO app is bad and unstable (which is par for the HBO course AFAICT)

every time i use a roku i feel like it must be running on a 8086, every button press on the remote takes a second to register, ui actions animate at like 5 fps

they work but its clear that the os not optimized, the hardware underpowered, and the apps not held to any kind of standard

that being said airplay is a turd, it works fine from a macbook but low power devices (iphones) skip and stutter if the wifi signal drops to anything less than perfect, which guess what: it will when you're walking around with your phone in your pocket

there is no reason that media should actually stream from my phone. if you have itunes match itll get the song name from your phone and then stream from the cloud instead of your device but this doesnt do anything for pandora/spotify/etc

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 20, 2016

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

infuse is good, my only complaint is that progress doesnt sync across devices. you can use some external service to track if youve watched entire epsidoes/movies but not your place within them

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

trilljester posted:

There's no way to run emulators/etc on the ATV, right? That was one of the reasons I got a FireTV instead of the ATV, as I didn't want to build another computer for just emulators and what not. FireTV has been very needs-suiting.

im gonna post seriously about emulators here for a second

they suck

theres a reason audio nerds obsess over chip tunes and buy old hardware and get program music on a SNES instead of doing it in loving fruity loops of what the gently caress ever

go and buy an SNES, or NES, or whatever you want, buy the games you want to play. if youve got some money to blow get a scaler and do RGB mods on your consoles

if not just go to goodwill an find yourself a nice big CRT tv (they're loving everywhere because nobody will take the things or even recycle them for free)

your nes will never be worth a thousand dollars but itll never depreciate either. dont use a loving emulator

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

its me, im the guy who has $2000 worth of old consoles and games. i even bought clear plastic game cases and used the cover project to give them nice covers

its a cool hobby, my fiance busts out dr mario every once in a while

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

if you dont think thats the titest poo poo then go headbutt a knife

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I bought like twenty snes consoles in like 2012 when I was experimenting with how to fix the SNES vertical bar issue. Anyway I never spent more than $25 on each one on ebay. Since I was way too lazy to sell them, they are now worth around $100 each :eyepop: :homebrew:

theres money to be made but its hard, for a while there i would go to goodwill and find a box with a genesis and a couple of controllers + 4-5 games for $5-10 regularly

now theyve gotten smart and check ebay before they price stuff

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Ludwig van Halen posted:

i would do this tbh if it weren't for how little space i have and how much i hate having cords everywhere

its really not that bad unless you have a lot of consoles

i think the next thing im gonig to do is run a shitload of cat5 from the tv to the rear of the room and build a controller port "console" so i dont have extenders running across the floor

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

this is probably easier than my solution but in my experience non OEM controller suck

also i would need one for n64

gamecube/ps2 already had wireless controllers with dongles

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

ah yes, british car manufacturing. noted for high quality

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Nope read the reviews. They are as good, if not better than the real snes controllers. It's no bullshit. I have two and never thought I'd use em over the actual controllers.

well gently caress where do i buy

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

My Linux Rig posted:

ugh yes let me buy a bunch of old lovely hardware to crowd out my living room so i can remember why crt tvs sucked rear end and rca cords were a pain in the rear end. oh man so 90's, I need two people to lift my lovely tv. so 90's, there's a rats nest of lovely cords connecting to my tv so it looks like the tv is being supported by some weird dystopian life support. oh man so 90's, look at all the plastic shitangles I have piled under my tv that require me to get up to change the god drat games, and don't forget the controller cords you'll inevitably trip over!

we could complete the nostalgic wet dream by including a lovely vcr that eats tapes and blinks 12:00 all the time, a remote that only works when you point it in a very specific spot, and replace our phones with walkmens that run on 8 aa's for two hours oh man I love the 90's!!!!

gently caress that, just use an emulator or buy it on your Wii U

lmao

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Buy it from here because there's a lot of people selling counterfeit ones believe it or not
http://www.gameinstock.com/8bitdo-snes-bluetooth-retro-receiver.html

dang $50 bucks for the reciever and controller is a little steep but gently caress it, ill get one now for nes/snes and a second one later on

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

I'm as spergy as they come when it comes to playing classic games in their ~purest form~ but even I draw the line at having a CRT in my living room.

Though lol if anyone finds an LCD acceptable in an arcade cabinet smdh

yeah thats why you get an xrgb mini framemeister and do rgb mods

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

I tried to go LCD in my MAME cabinet because finding a new 25" arcade crt was literally impossible until one day I finally found one and I can sleep at night. If you're gonna put an lcd in an arcade cabinet you might as well be one of those people that just throws two x arcade sticks in front of their plasma and call it an arcade! My stars.

I recommend just getting receivers for the nes and snes and just using the SNES controller on both.

this makes me feel dirty. controller must match

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Progressive JPEG posted:

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

yeah they either make 0% of profit or dont report profits

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

didn't consumer reports get like 14 hours on the new MacBook pro with touchbar? idk seems own age

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Isn't the print spooler code from like windows 3.x? Like you still have to restart the service to remove something from the print queue because it literally hasn't worked in 15 years

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

mishaq posted:

i have a $100 brother laser printer from 2011 that works perfectly

it's on my network and my mac finds it without loving with any drivers or having to know what IP address it has

same, but either 2009 or 2010. it's also on the same starter toner cartridge that came with it

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

C.H.O.M.E posted:

tomorrow i have an appointment at the apple store because i dropped my new macbook on the ground and broke the display

also i dropped my phone on the ground and broke the display

will let you know how much it costs to replace the lid+display of a touchbar 15" macbook

its like $800. if you have apple care and are really polite and ask to speak to the manager theres a dece chance theyll cut it in half (speaking from experience here). if youre mega lucky they might comp it

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

driving is not a right

- a white person who has never had to get anywhere by bus and has money for flights

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Citizen Tayne posted:

If you make the decision to live five miles from things that are a daily need, and then lose your license because you can't afford to drive, I once again have no sympathy for you.

right, of course living close to your daily needs will increase your rent/mortgage once again making your broke but lets not consider that

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

he says as he lives in the one of the cheapest and most affordable cities in america

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Citizen Tayne posted:

The vast majority of Americans aren't living in murderous real estate markets like SF. I live within walking distance of all my daily needs, and a fifteen minute transit ride to work, and my mortgage + property taxes come to around $750.

People choose to live in the middle of nowhere because they want a giant cheap house, and because they don't want to live near people who aren't like them. When they can't afford to do this but insist on doing it anyway, I revel in their misery.

for reference i live in the north shore, so you saying "oh my mortgage + taxes = 750" tells me you live in a shithole and probably allegheny county. also congrats on being part of the 10% of the population where the T actually takes you somewhere close to where you need to go

• Locked thread