Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Endless Mike posted:

yeah you can input f.i.r.s.t.l.a.s.t.+myhugedilz@gmail.com and it will just send to firstlast@gmail.com

I use this all the time when creating accounts on websites - I use <name>+<service>@gmail.com so when I start receiving newsletters I didn't sign up for I know which company sold me out/went under and sold their email list to pay off creditors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koRiuyVh_JU

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Larry Parrish posted:

I'm working retail while I wait for college to start and Apple Pay or any other contactless NFC payment system is totally pointless because company policy still requires people to enter their PINs manually for debit accounts or to sign all receipts for credit accounts. It's slower and more of a hassle to use them.

way to go not working for a place pro enough to embrace Square as the One True POS system

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

eric posted:

I think it can run 10.7 but why bother. Turn it in to a chomebook.

Too much effort.

http://tenfourfox.blogspot.com

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

poty posted:

http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/Apple-to-extend-iPhone-s-product-cycle

tim "got nothing" cook has officially run out of steves ideas and doesnt have a clue what to do next. i for one look forward to the big launch of the iphone 6b this september. the b stands for barometer

joke's on you the current phone already has one (used to know how far up/down stairs you go, for indoor positioning, and Dark Sky uses it to refine their data models)

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

PleasureKevin posted:

if ross ulbricbht had double encrypted crimes.txt he wouldn't have been busted just after unlocking his computer.

the bust was centered around the grand command of DO NOT LET HIM CLOSE HIS LAPTOP IF HE DOES WE LOSE THE CASE

the evidence was 'yeah I hit the back button and took pictures of the screen with my blackberry'

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Beast of Bourbon posted:

who even uses headphones anymore, wtf?

you play your music as loud as you can for everyone on the bus to enjoy

you don't need a headphone port for the bluetooth speaker clipped to your belt

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

fart simpson posted:

i can get 6 lightning cables for $10 here in shenzhen and they work ok

plz go to hua qiang bei and pay to have someone stuff an iPhone into a Blackberry Priv

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Perplx posted:

that's only like 1.5mm

they are going make the camera a dongle, ditch the headphone port and make a 3mm phone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMNDqO2HjEU&t=202s

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Jonny 290 posted:

be cool if they let you double up on charging that way too, that way all these loving music addicts can maybe find a 30 minute window where they dont have to keep their phone strapped to a charger to peep those sick new vampire weekend beats

vampire weekend is effectively un-listenable to me because every car I plug my phone into a car A-Punk starts playing due to the fact that 90% of vehicle have the same garbage iPod playback software that was thrown together in 2003 when some product manager demanded that they immediately support this new iPod thing that people are somehow choosing over superior MP3 players that just expose the raw filesystem like god intended.

Every time I turn the ignition, it thinks I want to start playing Song #1 of 18,667. Bluetooth solves this problem, thus marking the only time in history when a wireless connection was superior to a wired one.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

r u ready to WALK posted:

The first guy who whips up a $20 shareware that remaps caps lock to escape is going to be filthy rich

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

ComradeCosmobot posted:

yeah proper surveying/mapmaking is not cheap, and as simple and comprehensive as osm seems, making it truly navigable (e.g. turn restrictions, signage, speeds, etc) is a non-trivial project

there's a reason almost every mapping product comes from a commercial company (and why many national mapping agencies don't release their maps in the public domain)

there's still lots of areas around the world that barely have maps in cities, and basically none once you get outside of them. gently caress, I pulled up OSM for a random place in Uganda and they had building outlines for cities and towns, and Google Maps was pretty much all of the roads in town. A shocking percentage of the world doesn't have street addresses, even in surprisingly 'developed' countries.

Related: Mapswipe is a pretty neat app for highlighting areas that need OSM coverage that's unfortunately buggy as poo poo and breaks when you try to download tiles to process offline

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Spoke with someone from CNN's ops department a couple years ago - "Macs handle small arms fire significantly better than any other field equipment we assign"

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

a targeted adware that only infects the touch bar

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

qirex posted:

yeah idk what I'm going to do when my time capsule dies

buy a ubiquiti system

actually just do that now.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

graph posted:

it groups that refuse to support osx over hardwire are babies

Businesses still keep trying their hand at imaging Macs as a deployment solution despite being screamed at for years now "don't do that you should REALLY REALLY REALLY be using MDM." Apparently having computers paired at the factory with your company is way too cool for Serious Business.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
the original reason why Facebook split Messenger out into its own app was because they didn't want to go over the cellular download size limit for apps.

Weren't they complaining about XCode kept breaking because their projects were too big so they had to do some weird breaking up of their app?

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Millstone posted:

What the gently caress fixes "Failed , Unable to complete Touch ID setup.Please go back and try again." on a Steve edition

a new Touch ID sensor

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
I can get a $1300 laptop with a 40 gigabit interface and that is still mildly cool (too bad there isn’t really anything to plug into it yet)

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
I pay for streaming services because my time is worth something and not having to watch terrible ads for CPG trash or the latest Crossover Vehicle bragging about how it has some feature developed by a sub-supplier which is terribly integrated is worth it

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
[quote="“echinopsis”" post="“475913171”"]
fucks me off coz i get missed calls come up on my phone from like hours ago cos someone called my wife
[/quote]

you’re not supposed to be sharing the same Apple ID for iCloud, that’s what Family Sharing is for (also in iOS 11 you can share purchased storage w/ other family sharing members)

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

loving Facebook, I should uninstall
it but how am I going to stalk hot bitches without it

this is literally their business model

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
https://github.com/rg3/youtube-dl

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

BONGHITZ posted:

I'm ugly and I hate being looked at.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Rex-Goliath posted:

i've been really impressed with how well apple pay works tbh

i don't think it's ever not worked for me

i tried it the other day at a DSW with both an amex and a MasterCard ApplePay and it just errored out at me

then again this is the company that just started supporting EMV like 2 months ago, and their innovative mobile salespeople strategy was to give them massive Windows tablets to hang around their neck.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Lutha Mahtin posted:

a lot of TVs don't even have the full amount of pixels you might assume they have. my parents' first plasma tv claimed to be 1080 but in tiny print in the manual it gave a much lower X by Y number of pixels

I have an extremely shameful 1366x768 LCD TV from Costco i got like a decade ago, so it's finally time to plunk down like $1k for whatever HDR set vizio is offering + an Apple TV, because I'll be hosed if I'll be subjected to watching any video using any playback functionality actually built into a TV

funny how after all these years, those who make the displays we watch our video on are the least qualified to actually drive them

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Assuming the Geekbench scores hold, Apple TV 4K is faster than the Mac Mini.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
combining current thread topic and The Future:

since USB-C Power Delivery can push up to 100 Watts, someone needs to make a vape rig with a USB-C port

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
https://twitter.com/joelcarroll/status/881914585212747776

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Doc Block posted:

macro arment making overcast almost absolves him of co-creating tumblr

he had a whole rant about how people need to shut up about the fact that Apple Watch cell service is $10 because THE FUTURE IS AMAZING WHY ARE YOU COMPLAINING THAT YOU'RE GETTING BONED BY THE CARRIERS FOR SOMETHING WHICH COSTS THEM LITERALLY NOTHING

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
at this point I expect T-Mobile to put out another press release saying that they're the best carrier because they let you add an Apple Watch for free/99 cents per month. pretty sure the only reason they didn't do it on day 1 was because they didn't seem to know it was really coming to begin with (other than the engineering people). See: them throttling it to 512 kbps because uhhhhhhhhh nobody told me this was any different than the Samsung Watch

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Kenny Logins posted:

if you don't want touchbar your options are MacBook, MBA or refurb MBP

you can get the 13" MBP without Touch Bar, and it is honestly the best model because it uses a lower power processor (that is not much slower than the model with the touch bar), but also has a physically bigger battery so you get great battery life.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
with the Files app and multitasking I feel like I'm fighting the OS significantly less when I'm using my iPad Pro Mini. When I have someone who's clutching a 2007 MacBook still and are looking to finally replace it, i pretty much say "does using a computer scare you in general? If so, you should buy an iPad and a keyboard. The chances of you getting startled by a dialog box are significantly less common."

Flipping between the app that I'm using on one side of the split screen still feels real janky tho.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
is it the one that still has an optical drive?

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
fyi: if you break your phone/watch/ipad and have AppleCare+ you can call them up and say the magic words "I want an express service replacement" they'll overnight you a new device for the same cost as you getting it fixed, and you just send back the old one when you get it.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

FMguru posted:

2) lol just lol at intel

Apple went to intel and said 'hey man you wanna build the ARM processor we're gonna stuff into a phone?' and Otellini's response was 'nahhhhhh you won't sell enough to turn a real profit, it isn't worth it for us' and then sold off XScale.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

qirex posted:

this is some fifth beatle poo poo right here

The Atlantic posted:

"The thing you have to remember is that this was before the iPhone was introduced and no one knew what the iPhone would do... At the end of the day, there was a chip that they were interested in that they wanted to pay a certain price for and not a nickel more and that price was below our forecasted cost. I couldn't see it. It wasn't one of these things you can make up on volume. And in hindsight, the forecasted cost was wrong and the volume was 100x what anyone thought."

It was the only moment I heard regret slip into Otellini's voice during the several hours of conversations I had with him. "The lesson I took away from that was, while we like to speak with data around here, so many times in my career I've ended up making decisions with my gut, and I should have followed my gut," he said. "My gut told me to say yes."

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Fabricated posted:

If you're a stemlord you should probably just be running your jobs on a cluster or buying a proper workstation or if for some godawful reason you really need a "portable" laptop with high-end hardware get a Precision or something

The processors that exist today on the high performance end are so ridiculously faster than the low energy ones better for laptops is insane, unless your time is worth nothing you should pay for the fast desktops with their fast CPUs and GPUs that will pull over 1 kilowatt.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
IP over Thunderbolt is an extremely good way to shuffle files from one computer to another, and is somehow faster than target disk mode on the exact same computers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/992512-REG/optical_cables_aoc_mms4cvp010m20_thunderbolt_optical_cable_32.html

They sell a 200' version too if you need to bury your LaCie RAID array in the back yard for some reason

• Locked thread