Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

My Child Started a Thread on a Dead Forum.

For years, I imagined the first time my child would be old enough to start a thread. What parent doesn't? I thought of the way he'd carefully compose a topic, how he'd find articles and sources, and I even thought he'd put some effort into the OP. If you asked me, I'd deny it, but part of me even thought it could become a megathread. I know, I know, wishful thinking. But a proud parent can dream, right?

But then the big day came. BigBoss was always a strong individualist. And I supported him in his choices. I knew that what was right for me might not be right for him. So when he announced, "I'm going to start a HuffPo Headlines thread," I forced myself to smile. I knew better. I knew this would go badly. But I also needed him to learn it. I've read all the books. They say it's sometimes okay to let your child fail. I thought, "This is what parents do. Let him fail."

But then it all went wrong. BigBoss showed me his tentative post. It had two sample headlines. Both were good. Well above average when it comes to OPs. I was ready to see him post it. But he posted it on a dead forum. And one by one, I watched the other posters judge the OP. They judged BigBoss. And they made fun of it. I couldn't believe what I was seeing! They were being cruel! I reported them to the mods, but the mods didn't do anything. I took my grievances all the way to Lowtax, but received no reply.

Since then, I've been confining our family's OPs to safe spaces. Maybe one day, we can try a new OP in the larger internet. But not today. Not today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread