Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Doc Block posted:

My PC runs on an AMD Phenom II 3.2ghz and it might as well be a Z80 in a volcano for how slow and hot it runs.

reminder: this was the fastest amd chip

newer ones are actually less powerful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

DuckConference posted:

Intel released skylark with 2 overclocking SKUs, they use more power and are a couple percent faster in benches and sometimes slower in games

if amd had any ability to execute this extended pause/end in performance
gains would be a big opportunity, but instead lol

its ok. we've had a skylark "problem" before

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

reminder: this was the fastest amd chip

newer ones are actually less powerful

At least AMD managed to bring the power usage down some....

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Broadwell was a loving dumpster fire and AMD still can't catch up

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

maniacdevnull posted:

Broadwell was a loving dumpster fire and AMD still can't catch up

broadwell the uarch was fine 14nm is the hard part and its bot like GF is gonna leapfrog intel process

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
a 14 nm process shrink wouldn't help amd very much.

bulldozer/piledriver are total poo poo. paying for a newer process node will not magically improve the crappy performance. and who the heck is lining up to pay for it?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
amd is still selling "8" core (actually 4) chip designs from 2012, on a 32 nm process

for $250

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Doc Block posted:

My PC runs on an AMD Phenom II 3.2ghz and it might as well be a Z80 in a volcano for how slow and hot it runs.

same same

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

amd is still selling "8" core (actually 4) chip designs from 2012, on a 32 nm process

for $250

And 220 watts

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Nintendo Kid posted:

And 220 watts

that is so many watts !!'

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

And 220 watts

convert that to cents and you have their stock price!

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
in b4 everyone gets shaggared about using metric units

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

hobbesmaster posted:

convert that to cents and you have their stock price!

yeah amd stock i got when i interned there in 2000, worst investment of my life.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
30 dollars or smthn and i sold it for 9 and it is 2 today. lol.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Mkt cap 1.66B

lol. how much are their patents worth?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

for $250

Nintendo Kid posted:

And 220 watts

lol goddamn rip in piss amd

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Nintendo Kid posted:

And 220 watts

the new intel chips have been bumped up to 95 watts.
amd's prospects are looking up, uP, UP!

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
As long as Zen is close to Skylake in terms of single-threaded performance, there is a lot of things that AMD can do to stay competitive Intel. For example, price top of the line 6-core Zen at i7 prices, top of the line 4-core Zen at i5 prices, and slower 4-core Zen at i3 prices. Given that Skylake is barely an improvement over Haswell, AMD's chances of survival look slightly better.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
amd ftw. hot fast and powerful, like a pc should be. rip to amd. too good for this world

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
amd should just double down on ownage and require one of those super high voltage lines or whatewver like you use for the dryer and get serious about ownage and frags. low power, low heat, low headshot fags can buy intels for the laptops. master gamers need power. im willing to run another line from the city to my hoiuse to power my ultimate rig. also, forget about cores. get the ghz. 10, 15, 20. go wild. get powerful.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

quote:

Well, one pro is that you get a processor that is fairly comparable to an Intel i7 in performance, and most importantly, you'll be giving your money to a company that didn't try to screw you by attempting to corner the market through extortionate threats to their own OEM customers if they used AMD CPUs when they were better than Intel's.

In other words, there may not be any technical advantages over Intel's competing products, but there are also no significant disadvantages, and at least by buying AMD, you won't feel like you need to take a bath afterwards to wash the filth off. I say to hell with Intel. Stop giving them money as punishment for their gangsterism.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
longer is better. and from where im sitting, amd is kicking intels sorry rear end and not taking any names

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

jony ive aces posted:

in b4 everyone gets shaggared about using metric units

metric is good

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
:agreed:

usa units are the amd of measurement

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Agreed

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

If you highlighted the amd thing at the top instead it would send a slightly different message

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

Syncopated posted:

If you highlighted the amd thing at the top instead it would send a slightly different message

That you can waste 140 watts for doing nothing on a poo poo CPU?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Rosoboronexport posted:

That you can waste 140 watts for doing nothing on a poo poo CPU?

my watts!!

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Tokamak posted:

the new intel chips have been bumped up to 95 watts.
amd's prospects are looking up, uP, UP!

for the unlocked desktop models, the laptop models will be much different, i am sure.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

kwinkles posted:

for the unlocked desktop models, the laptop models will be much different, i am sure.

yeah it seems like they optimized for lower power SKUs and just goosed the voltage and TDP a bit to create an "enthusiast" desktop part

staggered launch presumably means either that they can't make that many (after 2 years of trying to unfuck 14nm) or that maybe Apple is buying them all

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Intel doesn't care about desktop chips anymore. their main targets are server and notebook. don't expect any real movement in the performance of desktop-class chips in the near future.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Father Jack posted:

e4300 crew represent

1.8ghz stock, wound it up to 3.2 with a bit of extra voltage and a £12 fan the day i bought it, was still using it regularly till about 6 months ago

a worthy successor to the 300a

mine wouldn't push past 2.8ghz even with volt tweaks and stay stable but u rollsl the dice. still abv good overclock and iti ran at like 22c at idle still

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

sincx posted:

As long as Zen is close to Skylake in terms of single-threaded performance, there is a lot of things that AMD can do to stay competitive Intel.

so if amd literally doubled single-thread performance, they could conceivably be competitive?

"if amd performance was competitive, their products could be competitive!" is true but also meaningless. it restates the problem

sincx posted:

For example, price top of the line 6-core Zen at i7 prices, top of the line 4-core Zen at i5 prices, and slower 4-core Zen at i3 prices. Given that Skylake is barely an improvement over Haswell, AMD's chances of survival look slightly better.

intel's 2012 chips are still faster than what amd is shipping in 2015

price is not the issue

pram
Jun 10, 2001
if you buy an amd processor you are literally, unironically retarded

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

A Massive Disaster

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

pram posted:

if you buy an amd processor you are literally, unironically retarded

Being awfully hard on console havers.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i have a little low-power hp thin-client type system at home that i've been usign as an ssh tunnel host for a few years now, it's got like some athlon proc at 700mhz or something. kill-a-watt says it idles at 19w. okay.

same kill-a-watt says a dell optiplex with a haswell i7 and 32GB of RAM idles at 33w.

owned

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Being awfully hard on console havers.

Garbage people deserve garbage products, no apology, trump out.

maniacdevnull fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 7, 2015

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i have a little low-power hp thin-client type system at home that i've been usign as an ssh tunnel host for a few years now, it's got like some athlon proc at 700mhz or something. kill-a-watt says it idles at 19w. okay.

same kill-a-watt says a dell optiplex with a haswell i7 and 32GB of RAM idles at 33w.

owned

If all you're doing is ssh stuff, wouldn't a raspi work well enough and consume waaaaay less power?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
probably, although that would have been a purchase, and i got the hp box for free from a friend. electricity's dirt cheap where i live, if i'm doing the math right it's like :10bux: to keep that thing on for a year

• Locked thread