Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Mandy Thompson posted:

The take away from this is not whether or not China is worse than the US or that the US is equal to China but rather then presuming to tell other countries how to do things, we should consider what is happening in our own backyard. Another reason to hold America to a high standard is that I live here. As is said in the bible, "Physician, heal yourself."

As is said in the bible "This is a lovely tu quoque and you come across as dumb to anyone who is informed when making it"

Matthew 23:17 peace out brah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

TheImmigrant posted:

Right, two things that are imperfect are necessarily exactly the same. An unwarranted parking ticket and burning a person at the stake for heresy are both unjust, and therefore we should consider them exactly the same. To consider degree is racist.

The depth of willful human stupidity shouldn't surprise me any more, but self-loathing contortionists like the OP still make me facepalm in despair.

To be fair unwarranted parking tickets are pretty unjust and we should think about getting our own house in order before talking poo poo about other country's burning people at the stake.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
welp D&D: was the Soviet Union worse than the British Empire discussion #29345

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Fojar38 posted:

I wish you'd go to North Korea.

dude it's pointless to argue horselord is like an unironic stalinist that even most of the hard left stays away from

basically someone who should be thanking marx that the revolution is never gonna happen in his life time because he's gonna be this revolutions's version of zinoviev or kamnev and lined up against his own wall and shot

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

computer parts posted:

There's lots of North Koreans in the Chinese border towns so I imagine they'd give you a different (even if it's not unbiased) perspective.

Yeah but then again somehow I doubt horselord went to revisionist china to interview those said north kroeans

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
The Ron Paul cannot fail he cannot only be failed

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

HorseLord posted:

The KCNA publishes in multiple languages.

The North Korean media don't publish the crazier parts of it in english though

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

nopantsjack posted:

Any nation that dominates the rest of the world in terms of its military and also actively uses it is basically by nature the most violent if you measure that in terms of outcomes.

In terms of human rights the US has classic imperial laws like the debate over whether its okay to assassinate American citizens or not; as it is implicitly okay to assassinate non-Americans. Without laws like this you cant "project power".

Same for the british empire and the mongolian empire or whoever, America is not intrinsically evil or special its just currently globally dominant and willing to be violent.

wow

when do you think the sheeple are going to wake up and realize this

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

fspades posted:

And why do we need this hegemon again?

if the us went away tomorrow you just replace a sort of global hegemony with several regional ones

the net effect probably won't be much better

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

fspades posted:

So you are tolerating the US murdering thousands on a regular basis to keep its hegemonic position because you just have a feeling that the alternative world where the US isn't the world hegemon would just be the same. Ok, then.

Can anybody actually defend US hegemony as a good thing that should be perpetuated with force and terror if necessary? I honestly think that's a more rational position to take here. Why do we need US hegemony?

Because while the us will gently caress with you if you get in its way it cares mostly about money and power

a lot of regional actors OTOH have centuries old feuds with neighboring ethnics and religious groups. For them loving with said groups matters nearly as much if not more than money and power even when they aren't in the way.

See ISIS and the yazidi

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
I think all of us understands there are shitloads stuff the us do is pretty evil, especially during the cold war era.

otoh i think events in the last couple of years have reminded us too that you can do a lot worse than the us

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
Not to mention quite a few targets of historical US imperialism i.e vietnam and the philipines are today all but begging the us to stay in their region to protect them against potential regional hegemon china

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

kapparomeo posted:

I suppose we ought to be fair to HorseLord - he himself would probably do very well as a guest of the Middle Kingdom. The CPC needs Useful Idiots to be their stooges in the wider world as much as Comrade Dzhugashvili Man-of-Steel did.

otoh plenty of said useful idiots living in the ussr found themselves unfortunately purged during the 1930s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Rent-A-Cop posted:

He already did for a couple pages then mysteriously went silent when KCNA's website started working again and it turned out that the DPRK is, in fact, indefensible.

I would pay good money to see a circus with a communist horse.

Does the horse get turned into glue after the act?

• Locked thread