Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Final Edit: Problem solved: it turns out asymmetrical RAM is, in fact, the devil. I don't know if that was what was causing the initial SATA problem or not (too much of a pain in the rear end to switch it back to the old port), but it was definitely causing the later video card problem. Thanks, all!

Problem description: My computer keeps freezing. Usually for at least a minute or so, up to 2-3 minutes. Initially, just while I was running the computer (specifically, while I was playing a lot of Witcher 2 while running a flash game, so I thought that was it), but now it has started doing it on bootup, freezing at the "starting Windows" screen. This leads me to suspect a hardware problem. It wasn't so bad when it started, but now I get about 30 seconds or so of normal operation between freezes, when I can get it to boot at all. It seemed to be Flash/Steam related initially, but given the current behavior, I'm not sure how either would cause the issues pre-loading. I also at one point suspected Hangouts, but uninstalling/reinstalling that seemed to fix the issue, briefly.

I should clarify that by "freezes," when I'm in Windows, it just locks into loading for 1-3 minutes. I can move the cursor around, there are sometimes one or two windows I can move around, too, but the rest of the windows are locked, show as "not responding" in task manager (if task manager is working, which it isn't always), and I can't start new programs (if I do, sometimes they do nothing, sometimes they will all load at once when it's done freezing).

EDIT: Over the course of tonight, even, it's gotten significantly worse; it's loaded into Windows, and hasn't done anything for about 20 minutes, now.

Before cleaning it out, I was getting some CPU temperature alerts (72-74 degrees Celsius), but those stopped after I cleaned it out.

UPDATE: This issue is fixed; turned out to be a bad SATA port on the mobo. Now, my video card isn't working. The computer won't detect it at all, even though it powers up and the fans come on.

Attempted fixes:

*Ran Windows/Flash/Java updates
*Cleaned out my computer; it had a bunch of dust, that seemed to help, briefly, but maybe that was just the placebo effect.
*Re-seated video and network card
*Ran scans with Microsoft Security Essentials and MBAM; MBAM caught some tracking cookies, but that's it.
*Ran CCleaner's registry cleaner
*Tried to run Event Viewer multiple times, it crashed every time, even in Safe Mode
*Installed Process Explorer; processor use was spiking at ~30-35%, memory didn't seem to crack 4GB
*Uninstalled a bunch of software (FoxIt Cloud/Reader, several games, a couple of random utilities, a few Chrome extensions)
*Stopped a bunch of services (Windows indexing service, print spooler, NVIDIA streaming service)
*Removed a bunch of stuff from startup/boot in MSConfig (Steam, Chrome, Samsung Magician)
*Ran MemTest (no issues)

*Repeatedly booted into Safe mode until I finally got Event Viewer working; figured out the problem was a bad SATA port; swapped ports, computer loads now, but won't detect the video card.
*Tried manually running drivers
*Updated BIOS to most recent version I could find (2012)

Recent changes: Added a bunch of desktop backgrounds to Windows a few weeks ago (~15 or so), added a new 970 GTX video card in late January; this started maybe late June.

Updated video card drivers and ran Windows Update when I first started having this problem.

Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

System specs:

Installed 1/2015:

MSI GTX 970

Installed 8/2013:

12 GB GSkill DDR3 SDRAM

Installed 6/2013:

Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (OS/Program Installation drive)

Installed 8/2011:
Ridiculous heat sink
Intel i7 3.4 ghz. quad-core Sandy Bridge processor
Samsung 1TB HDD (used for storage)
ASUS ATX Intel Motherboard
Corsair 750W power supply
Cooler Master Case

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

I made the mistake of installing my old video card into my parent's computer in California about two months ago (in my defense, the 970 had been working for over three months), so I don't have that sitting around to test anymore. I'm basically hoping that someone sees this, says "you dumb fucker, it's clearly this, how the gently caress did you miss it, you retard" or can recommend some diagnostic tools other than just starting to pull out hardware and replace it, boot up, and see if it starts working, which is probably the next thing I'm gonna try, barring advice from y'all.

At this point, I'm thinking SSD failure, though I'm not sure what the best way to go about diagnosing that would be; is there an SSD testing utility I can run by booting to a USB drive or something? And I've been running Samsung Magician, and it didn't give me any warning messages or anything.

Goddamn, this is frustrating.

UPDATE, 3:40AM local time: Okay, finally got this motherfucker to boot into safe mode, and load Event Viewer, after ~ten tries (which is a lot when it takes about 5-10 minutes to load up, and another 3-4 to try to load Event Viewer). Was throwing up a "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0" (Atapi Event 11) error. A lot. Like, it looked like several dozen times tonight. So, I opened that bad boy up, and after pulling the video card (the 970 juuuuuuuuuuuuuusssssssssssssst barely fits in my case), I moved the SSD to a different SATA port on the mobo. And it seems to be booting right up... at least, from the sounds of it. Because now I can't get video. Not out of the DVI outputs, not out of the HDMI output, and not even out of the DVI output on the mobo. :bang:

UPDATE, 4:15AM local time: Onboard video working again. The video card's fans are spun up, and the lights are on, but my computer refuses to acknowledge that it exists. I think I'm going to call it for tonight, come at it fresh (and soberer) in the morning/afternoon.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
Run a Ubuntu Live USB, and check stability via that. Ubuntu also has a Disks utility (which you can search for) which gives the SMART data for the hard drives.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I would try updating to the latest motherboard BIOS. Also, can you clarify how you have the RAM installed? You mentioned 12GB but linked to an 8GB set.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fruit Smoothies posted:

Run a Ubuntu Live USB, and check stability via that. Ubuntu also has a Disks utility (which you can search for) which gives the SMART data for the hard drives.
After switching the SATA port, it is now loading faster than it has in months. I'm pretty sure it's not the disk at this point. For future reference, though, how well does that Disks utility work on SSDs?

Alereon posted:

I would try updating to the latest motherboard BIOS. Also, can you clarify how you have the RAM installed? You mentioned 12GB but linked to an 8GB set.
Updated to the latest BIOS (which is from 2012); no dice, still no video from the vid card.

I bought two sets of those sticks because they were on super-sale; when I went to install them, I discovered that due to my ridiculous CPU fan, I can't actually use my fourth RAM slot. I still have the fourth stick bouncing around.

I'm inclined to say the mobo is on its way out, but I'm about to try swapping in a video card from a spare computer we have lying around the house, just to verify it's not the card.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Programs that read SMART data work the same on SSDs as HDDs, though the logs are interpreted differently. My main suggestion right now is to remove the third stick of RAM and try with a matched pair of modules. RAM is intended to be installed in pairs, and while Intel controllers can tolerate unbalanced configurations in many cases, it isn't recommended.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Alereon posted:

Programs that read SMART data work the same on SSDs as HDDs, though the logs are interpreted differently. My main suggestion right now is to remove the third stick of RAM and try with a matched pair of modules. RAM is intended to be installed in pairs, and while Intel controllers can tolerate unbalanced configurations in many cases, it isn't recommended.
Yeah, I've read a fair diversity of opinions on that, and it's been working for two years, but at this point, anything is worth a shot. I'll give it a try.

Alternate video card does not work in my computer. Additionally, the video output on the mobo has stopped working, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Alereon posted:

Gloating time. Haven't swapped the 970 back in yet, but pulling the third RAM stick totally made the replacement GPU start working.

Nobody likes a know-it-all, Alereon (thank you for the help! That's the last time I listen to anyone who says asymmetrical RAM setups are okay).

• Locked thread