Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

nyc mayor de blasio has started a war with uber trying to pass legislation to cap the number of uber drivers that can operate and uber is fighting hard

they recently updated their app escalating the fight

and rolled out cool ads like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePAxy5PCeuk

even the NYT and the other new york papers are backing uber

buzzfeed had an epic story today revealing some funny inside baseball in the de blasio camp

http://www.buzzfeed.com/bensmith/cold-dead-uber

lol

hold on to ur butts, this is just getting started. the republicans like jeb bush are on side with uber cause they want silicon valley's backing (and hillary has already indicated that the "gig economy" is gonna be the new bogeyman like private equity was last time)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

cremnob posted:

the republicans like jeb bush are on side with uber cause they want silicon valley's backing
also to drive down wages and conditions

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwb_McI74rY

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

jony ive aces posted:

also to drive down wages and conditions

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

wat

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

clearly they need to just go to having a congestion charge for the especially congested parts of manhattan

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

im the soul patch on his throat

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I can't believe how unbanned the op is

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
those fuckign demonrats

k-zed
Dec 1, 2008

Fallen Rib
de blasio is doing the wrong thing. uber should be banned and prosecuted, not limited

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i guess i signed up for some uber referral chain thing a long rear end time ago and the last 4 or so rides have been free. so can't complain.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i only used uber like once in nyc and it was cause it was like 2 am and i was somewhere in brooklyn i didn't know.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

more like demonrats imo

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

power botton posted:

more like democraps imo

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
cremnob is 2015's space kimchi

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lets not get carried away here

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
it's a shame that Uber/Lyft are a 1000000000% better experience than taxis because I will never loving call a taxi but if I'm in a city with bad public transportation I'll use Lyft

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

indigi posted:

it's a shame that Uber/Lyft are a 1000000000% better experience than taxis because I will never loving call a taxi but if I'm in a city with bad public transportation I'll use Lyft

if you live somewhere where they're popular enough these services end up about 85-110% as good as a taxi

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I mainly only use them when I'm in LA/the bay area and based on those cities' taxis I was being generous stopping at 100000000%

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

Suspicious posted:

kimchi space program

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Suspicious posted:

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
we had uber for like 2 weeks and then they banned it and uber didn't leave then they threatened to take the drivers to jail and then it ended.

son of council of conservative citizens member haley barbour, austin barbour, is one of their big lobbyists. lol.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

quote:

Oxford, Mississippi Alderman Jay Hughes is speaking out against the ride sharing/delivery company Uber, which is fast taking over taxi services across America and Oxford.

Uber is valued at $18.2 Billion dollars, and even recently hired President Obama’s former campaign manager, David Plouffe to help break what it calls the “Taxi Cartel” in the United States, by litigating “antiquated taxi laws.” Uber-logo

The company is very successful and consumers are flocking to use Uber’s services across America.

In fact, Uber is now generating more money in San Francisco than the entire taxi industry there.

Uber is fast expanding, and they are going into the delivery business, too, competing with FedEx and UPS.

As Oxford rapidly expands in population and swells with tens of thousands of tourists each weekend, Uber is poised to be successful here.

Alderman Hughes recently drafted Oxford’s new taxi ordinance this past summer, but as The Local Voice noted before the law was passed, Hughes’ taxi ordinance did not address new companies like Uber, and a similar successful company, Lyft.

Alderman Hughes sent out an email this morning to The Local Voice that addressed the conflict between this private business and the City of Oxford:

“I have had a couple of inquires as a result of a full-page advertisement in The Daily Mississippian in which Uber is seeking “drivers” in Oxford. The ad seemingly represents that the only requirements to be a “driver for hire” in Oxford is to have a valid drivers license and personal automobile insurance.

This is not accurate and it is important to make sure people understand what the requirements are in order to be a driver for hire in Oxford.

I personally think Uber is an excellent concept and welcome it to Oxford.

However, as for the drivers, there are very specific insurance and safety requirements in Oxford and Mississippi that have been enacted to protect drivers and passengers in vehicles for hire. These deal with background checks, insurance and security cameras.

Every local company is complying with these requirements. Some of our local operators are working folks for whom this is their only source of income, and they may only own a single taxi.

Less than two weeks after the new ordinances went into effect, Uber drivers appeared without meeting any of the legal requirements, and putting its drivers at an unfair advantage over the law-abiding drivers and operators in our town.

This also exposes passengers to the risk of an accident with no insurance coverage, and drivers without proper background checks.

Most personal auto insurance policies specifically reject coverage when the driver is operating the vehicle for a fee. This is why Oxford specifically requires insurance with “Taxi” or “For Hire” coverage. It is a totally different policy from personal insurance, and done to protect the passengers.

Oxford, Mississippi Ward 1 Alderman Jay Hughes. Photograph by Newt Rayburn - The Local Voice.
Oxford, Mississippi Ward 1 Alderman Jay Hughes. Photograph by Newt Rayburn – The Local Voice.

The laws Oxford adopted are about fairness and safety. Oxford will vigorously enforce its laws and charge any driver operating without the proper permit, taxi decal and insurance requirements.

A few of the Oxford Vehicle for Hire ordinance requirements are generally as follows:

– Each vehicle insured $100,000-$300,000-$100,000 (Sec 118-20(a))

– Proof of insurance sent to City Clerk’s office

– Each driver and company must fill out application and submit to City Clerk’s office for approval by Mayor and Board of Aldermen

– Driver must always carry city issued license – cost is $50.00 (Section 118-25)

– Driver must possess a Class D License and have a valid state driver’s license

– Adhere to maximum fares (Section 118-25)

– Each vehicle for hire must be clean, have a State of MS inspection sticker, must have a company logo and a city issued medallion with license number on the side (Section 118-26)

– All taxicabs must be equipped with safety camera system. (Section 118-32)

– All taxicabs must be inspected by OPD prior to use. (Section 118-32)

Jay Hughes
Ward 1 Alderman
JayHughesForWard1@gmail.com

The City of Oxford has already been ticketing Uber drivers and are threatening to arrest them, too, but the company says, “Uber vigorously defends the rights of our driver partners, and will cover the costs of unjust citations.”

At this point, it may be inevitable that the City of Oxford and Uber will end up in court.

The question is, does the City of Oxford have the resources to litigate against a company that has $18.2 Billion?

- See more at: http://www.thelocalvoice.net/oxford/?p=16467#sthash.f8P3pKM5.dpuf

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

quote:

The City of Oxford, Mississippi is stepping up its campaign to crack down on the ride-sharing company Uber.

In an email sent out Tuesday night, October 21, 2014, Alderman Jay Hughes put the company on notice:

“NOTICE: Due to the repeated and flagrant violations by unauthorized drivers for hire, in unauthorized vehicles, notice is hereby given that beginning immediately all unauthorized drivers of vehicles for hire in Oxford, particularly including those using the Uber application, will be arrested on site and their vehicle towed from that location. No further notice will be given, and this item will again be on the agenda for the Thursday meeting.”

Hughes is upset because Uber is not complying with his taxi laws the City of Oxford passed this summer.

“Uber drivers who were stopped over the weekend advised officers that the Uber management instructed them to continue disregarding local and state laws and that Uber would pay all of the fines,” Hughes’ email went on to say. “Thus, the fines are no longer a deterrent, and an arrest will stay with the driver and his/her record.”

The average wait time to get an Uber car in Oxford over the weekend was 4 to 20 minutes, according to customers who used the Uber app.

The company is successful and consumers are flocking to use Uber’s services across America and into Oxford.

As Mississippi expands in population and swells with tens of thousands of tourists each weekend, Uber is poised to be successful here.

In the last four years, the company has grown to a net worth of $18.2 billion, and in San Francisco alone, Uber makes more money than the city’s entire Taxi industry combined.

Uber is famous for challenging what it calls “the Big Taxi Cartel” and has won many victories against cities and states around the globe.

A bus owned by Cline Tours, Inc. of Ridgeland, Mississippi. No Oxford Taxi Medallion visible. Photograph by Newt Rayburn.
A bus owned by Cline Tours, Inc. of Ridgeland, Mississippi. No Oxford Taxi Medallion visible. Photograph by Newt Rayburn.

But Uber weren’t the only “drivers-for-hire” who may have been breaking local laws this weekend.

During a simple walk down the street, I saw limousines with no visible Oxford taxi medallions, and even a large medallionless bus that was parked in the middle of North Lamar, dropping off a group of people.

According to city code, drivers-for-hire must purchase a City Medallion and display the symbol on their vehicle.

Looks like the City of Oxford has a continuing problem with its taxi laws, and local officials may have to take yet another look at recently passed legislation, or face litigation that ultimately the taxpayers of Oxford will have to pay. The Local Voice Ligature

- See more at: http://www.thelocalvoice.net/oxford/?p=17518#sthash.KUM5J28Y.dpuf

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i definitely read all that poo poo looooooollll hahahaha i actually didnt

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

indigi posted:

I mainly only use them when I'm in LA/the bay area and based on those cities' taxis I was being generous stopping at 100000000%

holy poo poo, never take a taxi in LA. just rent a car, it will be cheaper

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

k-zed posted:

de blasio is doing the wrong thing. uber should be banned and prosecuted, not limited

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
i'm constantly surprised that clinton is actually coming out hard against uber. it seems like a riskier move than i'd expect.

for now i'll just laff at people on facebook going WHAT HILLARY WHY every time a story pops up.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
"can you fight a company with $18.2 billion in the bank?!?!?!?!"

uber sold like 1/100th of 1% for some ridiculous valuation that makes them 'worth' $18.2 billion. they don't have that much in the bank, idiots.

not u guys, the author.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Is uber dead the second they're forced to allow drivers to set their rates to keep their independent contractor status?

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

eric posted:

Is uber dead the second they're forced to allow drivers to set their rates to keep their independent contractor status?

uber is dead once literally anyone from the dol looks at what they do and how they do it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

zen death robot posted:

This was the only post I read.

so why dont you do it, forums moderator zen death robot?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ultramiraculous posted:

i'm constantly surprised that clinton is actually coming out hard against uber. it seems like a riskier move than i'd expect.

for now i'll just laff at people on facebook going WHAT HILLARY WHY every time a story pops up.

the only high profile dem that was really for it was rahm and that's because his brother owned a significant portion of it

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

zen death robot posted:

yospos doesn't fall under my jurisdiction

and yet it is in alereon's purview and he has never once even visited the forums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

who?

• Locked thread