Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Both 'busters are kind of microcosms of what Gainax was like at the times they were released, so Gunbuster is very 80's sci-fi with a bit of the tongue-in-cheek parody that they carried over from their Daicon videos, whereas Diebuster was something born from the FLCL and eventually Gurren Lagann schools of thoughts in style/action/animation. I think both succeed extremely well at serving this purpose and thus that ranking them is somewhat unnecessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The fight at the end is of course good but I think I like the opening 5 or so minutes of the first Diebuster the most of that episode. Great music.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Episode 4 is so good, too!!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yep, still awesome.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
One of the most overt examples thus far on why it's important to watch Gunbuster first, so when the "gravity well" emerges from Titan and you'll be all "Hey, that looks kind of familiar... Oh :aaa:"

Droyer posted:

Nono is good at splitting things.
Lots of nice foreshadowing in the early eps!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Also Nono lands on Dix-Neuf's hand in the same way Kazumi lands on Gunbuster's hand. It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

In Training posted:

It's telling that the most of the people watching for the first time like whenever Diebuster recycles something from Gunbuster, because that's as good as it gets. I wonder why they even called this Gunbuster 2, since it is so tangentially related to Gunbuster. I guess it's supposed to signal the next "passing of the torch", welcoming the New Gainax but New Gainax was always a pale, hornier imitation of the people who made Gunbuster.
I know people have soured on it now since present-day Gainax is so bad, but "New Gainax" in the post-Diebuster years led to TTGL which was immensely popular at the time. There was absolutely a feeling that the studio had turned the corner at last before it was revealed that Imaishi was all smoke and mirrors with regards to talent.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I really do like both series about equally. I love Gunbuster's harder sci-fi concepts with time dillation, Norio Wakamoto, the general 80's-ness of it all, and the ending which is one of the most memorable ones in anime IMO. Diebuster has probably my favorite character of the two in Nono and I think her dynamic with Lal'c is more interesting/endearing than Noriko/Kazumi and with a few exceptions the action scenes in Die entertain me a bit more. And I still think Die ep 4 is the best overall episode of the set of 12, easily. They are both good, in their own ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Didn't get to watch it last night due to reasons. Show is so good. Thanks Srice.

• Locked thread