Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Huzzah! posted:

new Somali

Thankfully Somali is safe and made a new friend. Once again that last page stinger.

Started off feeling very apprehensive. Then things calmed down and I expected it to all be ok. Then the last page happened. :stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New chapter of Totsukuni no Shoujo

Huzzah! posted:

Im glad man-bird dad and bird daughter have such a strong bond.

This situation is cliched but I still love it. "Your punishment is to live with me" will never not tug at my heart strings

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Huzzah! posted:

New Somali

Today, its cooking time, a time honored dad manga theme.

If that look of satisfaction hasn't warmed that old Golem's servos I don't know what will.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
See, even I forgot that stuff like this is normsl for kids.

and here I thought this was going to be a fun and relaxed chapter

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

The section chief is a fun oddity. Sage-like yet disturbing as all hell.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
If we're adding more stories to the pile Hana no Kishi is about a painter traveling alongside a young girl tasked with destroying mythical flying creatures of destruction.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Nothing like a rousing game of hide and go seek to help you develop an attachment to a stray human.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Huzzah! posted:

New Somali
Golem dad is the best. Also, Somali's namesake is cute.

It's interesting seeing characters that are purely logical attempt to rationalize, and potentially develop emotions. Robot dad got a great partner on his last journey just as much as Somali got a father.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Onean posted:

It seems the death of Batoto has lead to the birth of a significantly better site. The mobile version alone is so good.

That's how the cycle goes. When Onemanga went under Batoto stepped up with a better site and better organization for scanlation groups (to the point where some groups dissolved when Batoto went under). Mangadex is lacking on the forum department, but it's still the best place to read a series and by now people should be developing the habit of keeping track of the translators websites should they have one.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Huzzah! posted:

Happy Father's Day, its a new Somali
:ohdear:

I count 4-5 dead guys

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Onean posted:

I just wanted a cute new series to read. :smith:
This is why when someone recs a new series here I'm thankful for comments like

K. Flaps posted:

Does not involve a sugar daddy.

Ever since Usagi Drop, I'm left to wonder which series about single fathers raising their kid is going to end with them getting together. It's not that common from my experience, but every now and again it gets forced into the plot and sours the mood immediately.

Huzzah! posted:

new Somali
From Donkey Kong Country to :ohdear: in an instant
Too bad Axolotl lady just tried to lock up a golem with combat features. Add one more body to the pile whenever robot daddy unleashes his restraints.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
You know Somali will live, but it's how much she'll lose of her father that's going to hurt more. Remember how she panicked when his chassis fell off on the one arm

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

My Daughter is an S Rank Adventurer continues to be very good
https://mangadex.org/chapter/420283
I'm glad the dad continues the legacy of watching other people's kids. I also wonder how infamous his name will become now that we know his daughter brags on him? I'd like to see some father/daughter bonding while adventuring. Let him live the life he still pines for.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mirage posted:

Well, there ARE dads involved. :waves hands:

Also, this manga is so much my jam that I could make sandwiches out of it. Thanks for posting it.

I'm digging the anthropological approach to interacting with these creatures. Gives a fresh spin on some old ideas like slimes.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I might be the only one reading this at this point, but, new Maou Kyoudai!
The boys have a secret!

I'd lapsed in reading this, partially because mangadex took away RSS for non-account holders and I keep forgetting to update them.

Good chapter, these boys are good boys.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Meraki Scans has waded into the Peerless Dad translator fight and they've put out up to chapter 40
http://merakiscans.com/peerless-dad/

That makes three people now right? Either way "A man must have a sturdy lower body" has gotta be one of the funnier ways to chide someone this series.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New chapter of It's My Life
Turns out the death cult is a metal band made up of undead musicians and a priest who wanted to reform music. Death didn't stop their desire to revolutionize the industry, but their appearances and methods of gaining an audience certainly might.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

https://merakiscans.com/details/peerless-dad

Peerless Dad is off hiatus and we get a week of daily updates til they're caught up to the raws :toot:

Waterbender is alreasy winning me over

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Peerless Father had a long road but he's finally made it home. And he's bringing the bacon, and sausage, and kebabs, and a couple of chickens. Basically, he's bringing home the meat.

The wise dragon got his investment back in spades when he took in Noh all those years ago and I'm glad that Noh managed to carve out a good future for his kids even though he's got the new headache of every faction in the martial arts pavilion gunning for them. Hope he gets a few chapters of family time before the the assassin organization catches up to him.

And there's a new It's my Life where we ditch the fun comfy home living for more suffering.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 11, 2019

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

There have been two chapters Since peerless dad went back on the hunt. I'm reminded of the last time he had to adopt this mindset and he's not disappointed with how calculated and ruthless he can be when driven into extreme circumstances. Interesting to note that The two old men aren't retired Murim fighters like the other older man who has been mentoring the daughter. They seem to very much still be active members just laying low in the Dragon Pavillion. And these assassins are really bad at their jobs and I'm surprised they didn't cut and run, especially when the leader is someone who clearly is experience in other areas and should know a situation that's FUBAR when he sees one.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
This is why you don't take contracts on people who are supposed to be mid tier for non-Murim fighters, but the hit happened because they took out someone low tier in the Murim itself. That's you're first sign you are getting set up.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Look, it was admirable when this guy's subordinates were willing to sacrifice and even kill themselves to try and buy time. The guy who led Noh to the fields equally showed balls in front of the guy who killed his entire squad. But this guy right here, he doesn't know when to just cut and run. No amount of black contracts, honor, and loyalty would make me stay a second longer inside an enemy faction's headquarters when everyone is on high alert and the target is not what the contract stipulated. The fact that he's still there holding those two kids is by far his biggest mistake tonight.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Hitchcock's Bomb Theory in full effect, I was waiting for those old codgers for so long they took their sweet time to intervene.

One thing I'm really wondering is the fallout of this mini-arc. I think Noh is going to want to retire, he's put his life on the line for the pavilion but now it's gotten to the point where the Murim alliances are gunning for him and his family he's not going to have the luxury of wanting to keep his work life separate from his family life anymore. I think this is going to be the reasoning the various factions who want to train his kids use on him, that his kids would benefit from knowing how to protect themselves because the future could be violent for them even if Noh tries to run away from this all to more unpopulated areas. I don't think it will happen right away, but I do think he's going to decide that it's best for his kids to learn how to survive while he and the Pavilion try and sort out the assassination mess going into the future.

I think these two old guys having helped him save his Sons might mean they will get his approval and I think his daughter might find herself studying under the Flying dragon for her part in all this and because she might have lost a promising leader who was trying to protect Noh's sons.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Man was this chapter of Peerless Dad was cathartic.

The exact definition of someone who thinks they are a genius 2 seconds before they get rocked. Shame I think this guy's body is going to disappear along with the other assassins. There's some kind of protocol that was called in for this job

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
There are two stories ongoing right now that follow the premise of "A top assassin adopts a girl he found on the job"
The story of a terrifying hitman and a little girl Which has an assassin trying his hardest not to show he likes the kid and failing and The assassin who can't win against the girl he picked up about a much more dere young girl alongside a more stoic assassin than the former series.
Both are interesting little series, former one is funnier in my opinion

There's been several Peerless Dad updates this week; some of the pieces are coming together a bit on the larger plot. Still kind of confusing trying to remember who all belongs to what faction and what all the factions mean. I keep thinking if I ever get really bored I might go back through and try to piece together some sort of relationship chart but :effort:
I think the long and short of it is that there are 3 major factions right now to keep in mind, the Heavenly Dragon Pavillion, The Murim Alliance, and the Salmu Association. I still don't know how to define "murim" outside it's literal meaning of 'martial arts world' but the Heavenly Dragon Association borders the Murim which is both a separate region but also a status people can have (i.e. Being of the Murim)

The Salmu Association is responsible for the current state of unrest within the Murim itself and the reason a lot of the larger groups have taken a leave of absence from activity. The young master is the son of that guy in charge of it who I also suspect that's the same guy who defeated Noh the first time he went into the Murim. The two old men work for this guy and most likely act as spies for the Salmu Association but there cover has been compromised so they are being recalled.

Noh beat one of the top disciples of the leader of the Murim Alliance during his last mission prompting the assassins being called in. After those guys failed spectacularly the old sweeping man took care of them and issued his threat. This guy is a real deal and all his talks about having sealed his martial arts isn't just for show. He was also hiding in plain sight and it would seem the twin old men weren't aware of him

And the Heavenly Dragon himself knows more about what is going on but isn't telling the Wisdom Dragon because that guy as cool as he is, has a problem of trying to Keikaku-doori everything and that would blow up in his face if he tried to take on the Salmu Association. The Dragon Association isn't weak but they have always been framed as a mid-tier sort of group in the Murim.

Keep in mind all those people died and Noh's family was put in danger because the young master wanted to run away from home. gently caress that kid

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Can Of Worms posted:

New Peerless Dad. This chapter is making me appreciate when anime characters have ridiculous designs, because the guy that appears at the end is the same person who gibbed the pros in the last chapter and I did not realize that until after I finished reading, which made his appearance lose its intended impact.

I actually pegged the guy because unassuming messenger was a very left field event. However it took me until I checked the comments to realize that our Noh's new lady friend is just Jeon. I thought she just wanted to get trained from Noh, so I assume this is all apart of whatever connections she needs before her parents ship her out to a convent.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

I'm actually losing interest in Noh's quest to clean up the underworld of the Dragon Pavilion because I seriously question why he doesn't just talk to any of the master's he knows by this point from within the pavilion about the obvious corruption? Like would the wisdom dragon not take some interest in this? And while I like brother Ak, it's clear he's just here to eventually go over the deep end and drag Noh into further shenanigans.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

I don't want to spoil anything by posting panels but the new Peerless Dad chapter was good

Mountain hobo is either super evil or genuinely nice and there can be no middle ground

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Was re-reading Peerless Dad since the current arc is mercifully almost over. And something I'd never thought about just clicked when I got to This chapter specifically this page.

Because while masked killers aren't exactly rare in this story we've specifically seen Black Silkmoth here before. Waaaaaaaaay back in chapter 9

See that little girl? We already knew that "brother" Jeon Myu is actually Yeo Ssang Hwa; but it never registered to me that she's been in the story before as more than a person Noh meets while out shopping.

She even wears her hair much in the same way she did as a child and the ages match up as she's only 20 so she would have been 10-12 during the events of chapter 9. So yeah, renewed my interest in whatever her marriage proposal for Noh will entail because she can bring up this event to maybe persuade him. :shrug:

Also the current arc decided to bring back the man who defeated Noh in the past. While I'm not exactly happy with how Noh handled the Metal God alongside the sword clan, he's been digging himself out of that hole and there's really nothing left stopping him from getting away with it.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 17, 2020

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Getting more context for what Noh is missing and where Mo came from (especially since it seems he left before the bloodless duo disappeared) is what in part, prompted a full re-read for me because I'd honestly been skimming chapters as of recent. The succession politics also had enough people involved I wanted to see how far back the ripples could be felt. Related to that is the Sky Dragon saying that she wants to go into retirement; could be 4D chess against the Heavenly Dragon because he's clearly up to something, could also be related to her concerns about Noh's heritage with the Metal Clan.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Two fantasy series about fantasy dads.

Hone Dragon no Mana Musume. The story of an orphan raised in the forest by a dragon that discovered her as a youth. Upon his passing she finds a novel solution to handling the situation [spoiler]teaching herself magic and resurrecting him[/url]. Two chapter but it's very cute.

My Devil Is Such an Angel It Hurts. using the tried and true hero/demon king backdrop. The daughter of the former demon king winds up being raised by the hero that killed her. To avoid troubling the girl the hero adopts the identity of 'The Dark Knight Jade' and goes to the task of raising and protecting her.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I was going to say that I'm glad some of the people I follow host their translations on their own sites. But then I went to Method Scans and all their Peerless Dad chapters are gone so I'm certain they got the C&D. :negative:. I just read the new chapter last night, it was great because the old sweeping man went Super Saiyan on the Elderly twins while Noh continues to fail to get off a mountain swarming with people. My computer is acting fucky so I can't get to their discord to see what happened.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
How much does an artist even get from a platform like Tapas? I don't actually buy into webcomic sites like that or even webtoons but I'm curious.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

The junk collector posted:

Looks like Peerless Dad/Father Unrivaled is back as of today with 10 new chapters. Translations are already starting to show up.

Don't know where the official scans are at, but Flame Scans has been putting out TL's for the current chapters on their site. Noh stripping down to get hot and heavy with a bunch of buff monks is just an amazing cliffhanger. Shame he's going to have a huge misunderstanding when he gets home because of the kid he mercy killed

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Gonna pour one out for my boy in the latest Peerless Dad Rest in Piece Il-Cho, I was always a little worried you'd go off the rails since your introduction was beheading a bunch of dudes without any prompting. But you really held down the fort while Noh was off figuring his own life out and even kept his kids safe. You got royally screwed over in the end because of the Heavenly Dragon's lovely sons that never learned their place. I'm actually a little miffed you didn't make it but I'm sure Noh's gonna raise hell for the people that caused this whole mess.

Honestly rip all the guards that fell in the past couple chapters as well.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 22, 2021

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I neglected to post links to the last couple of updates but Noh's gonna start making waves within the Heavenly Dragon Pavilion.
Current scanlators page
I'd like to give a bit of musings over Noh's development over the series but I'll save that for a later update when I have a better idea how the current plan is going to play out. That being said what I do want to do is give props to this mad bastard for playing the longest of long cons. and having his betrayal actually foreshadowed in the past

Like a goddamn fiddle

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Sindai posted:

I need some kind of chart to understand what's going on in the wuxia politics parts of peerless dad.

I was going to type it all up and realized it was becoming a bit tied up because there are like 3-5 subfactions/sects either being manipulated by or used by the major players in this political contest. Imma try and pare it down as much as I can.

The basic jist is that The leader of the heavenly dragon association is going to retire soon and his two sons are busy being dicks and dragging everyone around them down. The older brother (lion looking dude) is in bed with the criminal side of things (and a major crime syndicate) and the other brother (hot tub rear end in a top hat) listens way too much to his duplicitous wife and thinks he's a master planner himself. On top of this you have the Administrator, the guy who has been playing any and everyone against each other, who is also one of the five sovereigns making him one of the most dangerous men in the Murim. He's related to Noh's master Mo Wei, who was part of the bloodless Duo with Noh's waterbending friend's masterm, somehow or at least their disappearance. Because those two disappeared the metal clan got out of control resulting in the metal demon running wilder than the Administrator planned when he instigated a war between the Sword clan (or school of swordsmanship in the official TL) and the Heavenly Dragon Pavilion; since both factions represent two of the largest clans in the Murim. Noh spent some time out of commission dealing with ki addiction and the inner politic stuff relating to his children just grew out of one guy being really upset that Noh may or may not have mercy killed his son.

ON TOP OF THIS. Noh had started to clean up the dirty poo poo within the association using the hired warriors and vagabonds brought in by his first and third brother in his old mercenary group. They got royally hosed by the 2nd heavenly dragon son because instead of honoring the promise they made to Ak Gun during the recent battle, hot tub rear end in a top hat listened to his wife's idea to let the first rate warriors get annihilated to get sympathy points with the other sect leaders within the association. Something that would have happened had Noh not come back and literally beat the leader of the criminal contract organization's local branch to death one limb at a time. Now he's driving angry because a technical outsider to the association he still doesn't have a way to get back at the people that screwed his men over and resulted in a lot of deaths. This is about to change. And that's just the previous 100 chapters or so since the entire kidnapping incident and assassins sent after Noh is a different conflict that arose because the administrators son wanted to run away from home and would up dragging the Murim Alliance into this.

What's interesting to me is that this story is like book 3/5 that this author has written. Red Storm is another book and a new manwha that's come out is adapting I think book 4 which is about the administrator and/or his son. So part of the problem here is that we're missing some background information about what started things off like this from books 1 and/or 2.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Noh continues his political assassination of all parties involved with this current ordeal.
There was also an actual chart posted in the flamescans comment section.

There are some missing images like the one for Tang Gun Jun (hot tub rear end in a top hat) and according to the comment section the Four Ways association is renamed as the Criminal Contractor Association but here's what you're looking for Sindai.

I also need to retract a previous statement, it wasn't Young-Young that suggested betraying the first class warriors I'd mixed up conversations and attributed the spy's suggestion with her own. Her brand of shady is related to something vague that benefited her when Noh's kids were accepted into the Heavenly Dragon's training school.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Saw a series update about a young hitgirl and her mark-turned-adoptive-father who turns out to be immortal. to even his own surprise. He repays her with a home and family :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ugusername posted:

So Peerless Dad is ending or what? Feels like an epilogue slowly dragging it's feet after a somewhat unimpressive finale. Certainly doesn't help that translation was really really bad for a while.

I stuck with Tapas' official TL after a while because the constant shuffle of translators made it hard to follow anything. Didn't help that the current scanlation from Luminous are clearly a lightly edited MTL. That being said, the story probably should have ended during the war with the Rogue's Guild as the pacing got amped as the story tackled later story beats. I don't know if in the book events like the Wise Dragon waking up were covered but even if it wasn't, skipping over that moment between him and Noh is a waste given their relationship over the years.

As for the later parts of the story It was good to see Noh punch Lee in his smug face and then run off laughing. Lee is the kind of character I think is hard to balance in a story but mostly done correctly. He really was in charge of everything from start to finish and he only really got tripped up by things that would put the entire region in turmoil as no single organization save maybe the Demonic Church had the strength to oppose him. He never got truly annoying in that capacity and got put in a box towards the end so at least he won't be as big a problem down the line.

I didn't get to see any revenge taken against the Elder Tang siblings for their betrayal of Akgoon besides their banishment which is still very frustrating. But if there's any consolation at least Noh finished up his grudge with the leader of the Martial Alliance by planting him in the ground.

Glad to see the Gajang family is continuing to expand and my man is basically running around with God-mode activated. I'd read a spin-off purely for the Daughter because she got good focus towards the end and it was clear she's always been on a different level even compared to her brothers.

Great series, I can put it up there with Gosu as a solid martial arts series I will definitely be recommending to others over the years.