Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Yotsuba should also be in the list, even though it has (had?) its own thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Anyway, dad manga is good.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Everything Burrito posted:

Yeah the anime is totally worth watching and you're getting the best part of the story that way. Probably instead of "don't read ever" maybe "read at your own risk" but whatever.

I never finished it myself; at the time I was reading it, it was still being released and I stopped following it somewhere midway so I never went very far into the part after the timeskip.

I'm in the same boat. It's a good boat to be in.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Paracelsus posted:

Does Aishiteru Ze Baby count if the MC is still a high school student? I remember enjoying the anime version way back when.

I think it counts and is good. The manga's solid too, and continues a ways beyond where the anime leaves off, though the anime ending works pretty well.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Yome ga Kore na Monde.
A sitcom about an ordinary man and his alien wife.

I'm glad that this man and his sexy alien wife are happy and in love. The kid seems alright too, but isn't really the focus as of yet.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Oh, that was short. On to Ikumen After, then. Dad manga really is great.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Trihugger posted:

Musuko no Yome

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Musuko-no-Yome

Old man gets a phone call telling him his estranged son has passed away. And it turns out the caller is his son's widowed wife who is also a 16 year old girl.

Only 3 chapters so far. It's by the author of Yandere Kanojo and has a similar feel to it. Which could be a good thing or a bad thing considering Yandere Kanojo has quite a few strange relationships. I'm hesitantly hopeful that this manga turns out good.

This has promise.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

KING OF DAD MANGA.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Flat
Heisuke is a young man who was left in charge of taking care of his little cousin Aki for a day. Being an only child who usually stays at home alone, Aki is quiet, reserved, and will go out of his way not to make trouble for others. As they spend more time together, Aki begins to grow very attached to Heisuke, especially since Heisuke's hobby is to make sweets and desserts. The quiet Aki eventually opens up to Heisuke, and Heisuke in return teaches Aki that sometimes it's all right to be selfish and say what you really want to do.

I forgot I'd even followed this one and had never even read any of it, but noticed today a new chapter came out. It's more in the brotherly caretaker/older kid watches younger kid category but is worth a mention. Heisuke is amazingly dense and oblivious so a lot of the plot so far (I've only read the first volume at this time) has been around him saying or doing something thoughtlessly and then having to deal with the fallout, mostly to Aki but also to his friends at school. I think it improves as more of his family gets introduced as well; the scenes with Aki's parents at home with Aki are good stuff.

Seems this was a debut manga and the author only has one other (newer) series that's currently untranslated. This one is complete at 8 volumes but only half so far is translated. Nice that a new group picked it up and will hopefully continue it.

Cool, I'll check it out. Dad enough for my tastes.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

:( poor Yotsuba.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Most of Yandere Kanojo isn't really like this at all, but this chapter is a stand-alone story about a boy and his grandfather, and totally belongs here.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I have begun catching up on my backlog of dad manga. Sweetness and Lightning is still good.

This is quite the face.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Canadian brother-in-law is good.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Gah! Sweetness and Lightning is still really cute!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

New chapter of Sen to Man

he's so happy :3:

This captures that "my parents are so embarrassing but I can't articulate why" feeling of that age so well. But now I'm much closer to the father's age than the daughter's, so... sorry, mom!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Otouto no Otto ch 6
appropriately titled

edit: goddamn that last panel

:smith:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I periodically come and read through the stuff that's been posted, so thanks for doing all these write-ups, Burrito.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

New chapter of Chihikogusa!

I raided the author's twitter for sketches

Cute :3:. I still need to start this one.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Sure, I'll post the yuri mom manga in the dad manga thread. It's all much more about the yuri than about the parenting, sadly. I'd love some that tipped the other way or had a balance, if anyone has some.

The second chapter of Amano Shuninta's Sweet Guilty Love Bites collection features a preschool teacher having a one night stand with a woman who turns out to be student's mother. It's cute! And :nws:

The Female Body is about a woman and her former sister-in-law reevaluating their relationship. :nws:

Mama Mama Is about a pair of housewives forming some sort of neighbors' pseudo-family. This one's work safe.

This stuff would be a lot easier to find if Dynasty had a "parent" tag. I don't think there's a ton of it aside from science babies doujins, though.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Motto posted:

"Up and Down" & "Helter-Skelter" by Nishi Uko also have a single mom.

Up and Down, Helter-Skelter

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

chumbler posted:

I remember one about a relationship between a relatively young widow and a younger woman who knew the widow and her late husband as a kid, but I can't remember the name of it. It was pretty sweet, though. Not so much a mom manga, though.

It is cute, but it's a bit weird in a Tale of Genji sort of way. If the widow had had a child of her own, I'd have posted it.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Davincie posted:

i don't remember if working holiday got posted here but its a series about a dad who is an ex-host

anyway i promised to crosspost this

not really a dad, more her guardian but its good
http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/totsukuni-no-shoujo-r16519/

This is a good dad manga. At first glance it reminded me of The Ancient Magus Bride, but that's really just the art and the main dude. The translation's pretty dire, though. Lifeless and awkward. Also the worst sound effects: "RAIN FALL", "TAKE OUT", "PIERCE"

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Gonna read that.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Kekkonshite mo Koishiteru is so super cute, and I was wrong to leave it on the "I'll get to it eventually" pile.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I liked the PSA for teabags.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

grown men doing girly/kiddy activities very seriously never gets old

Fun to do and fun to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

haha it was so sweet and oh man that note :cry:
It really felt like the whole manga could have ended on that chapter -- I'm glad it doesn't of course, but even considering what would have been left unfinished if it had, there was such a feeling of closure and moving on. Really good chapter.

Yeah. It's too far for the anime to get to, otherwise I'd think it the obvious stopping point for it. I suppose they could skip a bunch of chapters.