Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
Problem description: If I play games like Minecraft or Goat Simulator my computer will freeze, the screen will turn to black and the audio will loop endlessly on the last note until I manually reboot my system. Control+Alt+Delete does nothing, nor does waiting for the problem to resolve itself. This happens most frequently if I have other applications running, like Pandora in Google Chrome or iTunes. My fans get crazy loud when I run those games, but it never gets above 85 degrees here and there's normally no problem. There is no crash report or error messages when I reboot and my comp starts normally.

Attempted fixes: I've upgraded RAM and updated my drivers. There have been some small, incremental improvements, but the problem keeps coming back.

Recent changes: The only changes I've made are the aforementioned updates, but it's done nothing to hurt or help the problem.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 64-bit

System specs: Home-built, AMD FX-4170 Quad-Core Processor 4.20GHz, my motherboard is an ASUSTek99X EVO, AMD Radeon Series HD 6700 series graphics card, 12.0 GB RAM, I have 2 memory drives: a Corsair Force 3 SSD SATA and a Samsung SSD 830 Series SATA, and I'd rather not dismantle my entire desk and computer to post the power supply info, but it's maybe 3 years old? It was a decent one at the time. I can find out and post it if it's crucial.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes. The Googles. They do nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
This is most likely either overheating, or a failing power supply. Check the CPU temperatures with HWInfo64, AMD CPUs don't work above 65C, so it's getting much above 60C you found your problem. The GPU should work up to around 95C, you can check temperatures with the GPU-Z sensors tab. Even if temps look fine I would use a canned air duster to clean out all the fans, heatsinks, and vents in your system. If that doesn't help, do post your power supply brand and model.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
Back again. I opened up my computer case and dusted a bit. Aside from a bit of dust covering the outer vent for my power supply there wasn't really too much since the last time I cleaned out my comp's innards.

My CPU's max temp is 57.4C and the others are equally acceptable. I'm using a Corsair GS 600 240W power supply. I picked up a new power supply (Insignia 520W, which has a higher customer rating than my current one) on the way home in case the old one is insufficient.

I'm having trouble re-creating the crash, but it's hard to say whether it's fixed at all. Is the current power supply sufficient, or should I move to the new one?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Do not try to use that new power supply. It is too low quality and risks damage to your hardware. Your existing power supply is a high quality model, and while it could still be failing, replacing it with a low-end generic one is not a workable solution.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
Thanks for the warning! I hesitated for exactly that reason.

If I were to get a new power supply, would I need a specific Wattage, or is bigger generally better?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
The most important factor is the quality of the power supply, which comes down to getting a good brand and model, and something at least 80+ Gold efficient. The capacity should be large enough to supply the most power-intensive upgrades you could potentially do, plus some additional margin. I'd recommend about a 750W power supply for most users. Your system is relatively low-draw so you don't really need more than 500W, but the additional margin lets you upgrade to a high-end videocard and still have plenty of room to spare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
If that's the case I'll just order a good one online. Thank you for your help, and especially for being so nice about everything!

I came here expecting a dozen people to yell at me for a flawed build or something.

• Locked thread