Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
hi thread i bought this: http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/mechanical-keyboard/wasd-87-key-doubleshot-pbt-black-slate-mechanical-keyboard.html with the brown switches. as a bay aryan i drove to their fremont office to pick it up. so far it's dank as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

echinopsis posted:

a solid board for sure. I am proud of you. if you find yourself making lots of typos, tink about upgrading to clears.. if not then stay sweet. its one of the best boards money can buy

yeah that was my one concern, browns vs clears. i did make some typos at first but i think i was just getting used to the spacing and travel distance. now everything is great, i'm really liking this keyboard. if i buy another (maybe one of the small 60% size?) i'll probably try clears though

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
the kinesis keyboards are super great for their purpose, but imo if you are typing so much on your traditional keyboard that you have enough wrist strain to think about a kinesis, you should probably stop working so hard, because your boss sure as hell doesn't

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
topre switches have a rubber dome as an integral part of the design. that is not a mechanical keyboard.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
i love my wasd keyboard more than the infidel loves life

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Salt Fish posted:

The gap between membrane switches and cherry switches is the same as the gap between cherry and topre. They are so obviously superior that the only type of person who would try to pedantically grasp at the word "mechanical" is a person who can't afford to have them.

It's like eating caviar except actually good.

i think what you meant to say is: cherry mx are the way the truth and the light, and topre switches have rubber domes so they are not mechanical. they only get cred because someone paid $350 for a japanese keyboard and needs to justify his purchase when literally ev-ery-one knows that german quality is superior

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
that's a nice lookin 'board bro, i'm not a fan of side print generally but it looks good with the white on white

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
hi keyboard thread. my wasd v2 80% with browns and dank pbt caps has been serving me well, but i'm tired of shlepping it back and forth between work and home, so i bought a second kb. i wanted to try the 60% layout, along with the cherry clears that echi suggests. so i bought one of these: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1288. the keycaps are abs but still doubleshot and they feel like good quality. layout will take some getting used to (fingers keep reaching for arrow keys...) but i definitely bottom out less on these switches, and the tactile bump is more pronounced. and i really like the classic olivetti color scheme :shobon:

edit: omg all i have to do is press fn+enter and my rshift/win/prop/ctrl group becomes arrow keys. savage

JewKiller 3000 fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 28, 2016

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
i have no problem with that poker. godspeed yospos poster "streetlamp".

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

oh my god, it even has a watermark

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Salt Fish posted:

Hi im looking for a keyboard. it must be pinku (thats japanese for pink) or any girl color. It has to be of 2 or more reberu (thats japanese for 2 layers) and has be be chibi (small) sized. And has to be really kawaii (cute). Also It has to be about 100-200 bux. And you have to post pics of it first (i want to make shure it's kawaii [cute]). And it would be nice if it came with matching paracord. OH! and it CANNOT have any cartoon pictures, or be made out of ABS. It has to be made of PBT, or something like that. Also it would be nice if it was made in japan. and not in china or corea (korea) or whatever. I have found a keyboard similar to the one im describing in e-bay, but it was cherry MX, and i dont want my yubi (fingers) to touch an inferior keycap ( I need torpe made by superior japanese)

screw you b0red this is a great post

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

this is dope except look at the angle on that fuckin spacebar(s) wth

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
you could stick it to your rear end and poop out your posts

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
the problem with the little switch demo things is that you can't REALLY get a feel for how typing on a whole keyboard full of those switches will be. pressing one switch with one finger over and over is not enough to determine your ideal feels and you will end up getting something strange like greens. so yeah just buy the keyboard you think you want, or go to a store and play with some

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

error1 posted:

Someone had a look at an ANSI keyboard, thought "this could be better" and then they gave it PBT keycaps and called it a day

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

i actually bought this before getting my wasd because someone told me das keyboard was good, and maybe it is if you cough up the dough for the high end model, but this one is not.

the ruler-as-footbar sucks rear end first of all, it's a janky piece of brittle plastic that attaches to the keyboard using magnets, so of course it does not stay firmly in place. and because it's hard plastic, it doesn't grip the desk either, so the loving keyboard slides around at the slightest touch. you can't even use it as a ruler because it's red-on-red so you can't read the markings! thankfully without it the rubber pads work great, but then you have no angle to your keyboard...

the greetech switches are fine, i can just barely tell the slightest difference between them and my cherry browns. i could see someone preferring either one. greetechs are super cheap in bulk though, so even the $80 sale price actually includes a bunch of markup, presumably for the das "brand". and the keycaps are poo poo, i don't know if that fat black background is part of some special anti-UV pad printing tech or what, but it looks and feels cheap as hell.

the aluminum top panel is really solid, you can grab it with two hands and twist, it will not flex at all. that's probably the keyboard's best quality though. so unless you have a set of good keycaps to put on and you want to try greetech switches, i can't recommend it.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
the wasd site says on their v2/code comparison page that the v2 uses a single layer pcb and the code has a dual layer. supposedly the dual layer makes it easier to solder your dumb rear end mods to the keyboard? but the switches in both kbs are plate mounted so unless you want to desolder every single one you're not gonna be replacing poo poo anyway

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
tell me more about your overpriced rubber dome japanesu keyboard that you can't get keycaps for

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
former coworker had a hhkb2 and i touched it dutifully. felt like slightly cushier browns. not worth the price and hosed up layout imho

VV negative it was the real one

JewKiller 3000 fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 17, 2016

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
i don't care how japanese the rubber domes are, it's still not a mechanical keyboard

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
except it's abs and they want like 75% of the price of a keyboard for just the caps

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

surebet posted:

what's even more hilarious is that all of these can now be found for $30 at boutique-ish chinese sites like k3kc and probably a buck shipped somewhere on taobao

that eighty bucks spacebar at least has the merit of being an original design

that's about 65 caps including 50+ of literally the same thing but in different colors, probably ranging from $40 per to something three figgie each. that's at the bare minimum 2k worth of nerd bait, probably much more

this is just loving nonsense. completely disconnected from the feels, like how is this even a keyboard i'm supposed to want to type on

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
the 10key part is for data entry into spreadsheets. you aren't doing that, are you? then you don't need one.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
alright i feel you, i can spare some desk space so maybe i'll get a full size kb for my next unnecessary nerd purchase :thumbsup:

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
wasd has new gmk keycap sets from originative, they look nice, mostly doubleshot abs though

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
why do people keep posting keycap sets without saying if they are pbt or not

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
what does sa mean in that context?

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
oh ok, they are spherical keys huh? never had any of those, they sure look cool

i have oem profile :shobon:

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
suck it up and pop em off, then isopropyl alcohol

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
congrats on your rubber dome non-mechanical keyboard :smugbert:

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

pram posted:

got this one, ees naice

i do not like the miami poo poo at all but this is fuckin sweet, sick 'board brah

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
email them back and i'm sure they'll send you the proper keys. i picked up my wasd keyboard at their office because it's just over the bay, and it was tiny, like 5 people

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
and the best part is, they'll stay that way! even the nicest abs will be shiny slippery garbage in 6 months

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Jenny Agutter posted:

the contrast between the grey keys and the black frame didn't show up well in the pictures tbh

d-d-d-drat son where'd you find this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
whoever came up with massdrop was pretty smart, but at the same time, gently caress massdrop

• Locked thread