Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Favela Flav
Dec 24, 2009
To preface this, id like to make the disclaimer that i love food and cooking.. this kinda came to me as a roundabout way of necessity. About a year ago i got really sick, spent a week in hospital, and after coming home i couldnt manage a walk to the supermarket for a good shop. I lived near a servo, or gas station for our international friends.. I was in such a bad way that if i did something crazy like buy juice and milk id have to stop twice on the way home, because i got worn out.

Instead of getting real food, i survived on lean cuisine type meals.. the bowls were ovenproof, microwave proof and dishwasher safe. I realised i was throwing a lot away in waste, so i started keeping them, just washing them clean, and now i use them rather than throwing them in landfill..

On sundays i make a big stew or pasta bake or stir fry, and i portion them up in the bowls, and freeze them. Bingo Bango, dinners for the week. Ive only ever had one go wrong, when i put a non oven safe bowl in an oven. Theyre cleaned like regular dishes but seem fine. . I dont want to have 20 portions of food put in my crockery or i wouldn't have much left...

Am i taking a health risk by reusing these bowls, assuming theyre clean and food hygiene rules are followed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
you might get the BOTULISM op!!!!

also gently caress just buy some pyrex or something what are you a poor?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
He's asking about the effects of whatever plastics they use - BPAs and other endocrine disruptors and poo poo. Favela, those are generally one-use dishes. They're going to be made from the shittiest most cost-disposable poo poo the company can find that's made in China or Mexico. I've always thought those tv dinner plates had a pretty low average time to failure.

There's some concern about leeching and chemical breakdowns, whether it can happen at room temperature or just at higher temperatures from a dishwasher or microwave or how long it takes to begin leeching once exposed to foods. It's your call, as I'm not a doctor. Usually if the FDA's allowed it for people use it's not enough to harm you in any particular way.

You're not likely going to face any health issues by reuse and reheat of these dishes, but check the labels and see what it's made from. Because you could.

I'd definitely at least throw them away when they start to get warped. They're likely to break apart or crack much sooner than regular containers. I'm surprised they've lasted to your satisfaction for so long.

If you're concerned about heating things up in them (as I'd probably be), pop out the frozen food and heat it up in a microwave safe glass or ceramic dish. I wouldn't worry if you're just holding food in the TV Dinner trays and freezing them. If I were in your position I'd probably do this method.

In the long run you're probably better off getting a nice set of pyrex/glass bowls or whatever. Personally, I'd not keep them, but I'm not sure it would be for entirely scientifically sound reasoning. The idea of reusing those types of plastic dishes doesn't sit well with me.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 23, 2015

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Drifter posted:

You're not likely going to face any health issues by reuse and reheat of these dishes, but check the labels and see what it's made from. Because you could.

"Well you are probably going to be fine but maybe youre not going to be fine"

great advice there bub, real helpful posting

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Nooner posted:

"Well you are probably going to be fine but maybe youre not going to be fine"

great advice there bub, real helpful posting

:rolleyes:
Without knowing what materials it's made from how would I give an answer that's specific to his question?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Drifter posted:

:rolleyes:
Without knowing what materials it's made from how would I give an answer that's specific to his question?

Proverbs 17:28

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

*Glass shatter*

Seriously though op you are probably ok. There is no proof that what you're ingesting is toxic at the concentrations you're ingesting it in, but by the time you actually do get cancer it'll be too late anyway hth

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

OP I'd recommend just recycling them and getting some beefier containers meant for storage that will hold up better, such as Pyrex or whatever. If you recycle the microwave/oven trays you won't be adding to your local landfill (well you probably will because recycling is a bit of a scam but it may make you feel better).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
Safe? Most likely.

Tacky? Almost certainly.

• Locked thread