Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IratelyBlank
Dec 2, 2004
The only easy day was yesterday
Problem description: Lightning hit near my house and my computer turned off and won't turn back on.

Attempted fixes: I opened up the power supply and looked for any evidence of burst capacitors or anything else that looks like it might have released magic smoke but saw nothing on either the power supply or the motherboard. Everything else attached to my surge protector still works and I can probe all of the ports on the surge protector and they're all live.

The only spare power supply I have doesn't have enough of the 6v (9v?) rails. My motherboard requires 2 of the 4-pin voltage rails (in addition to the main connector) and this spare power supply only has 1. I tried it anyway but the computer did not turn on. I don't know if something could have happened to the power button but it seems unlikely.

Recent changes: N/A

--

Operating system: Windows 8, not relevant.

System specs:
Motherboard: ASRock Z87M
Power supply: Antec HCG M Series HCG-620M

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IratelyBlank
Dec 2, 2004
The only easy day was yesterday
I have a spare motherboard and I connected my spare power supply (I know both work) and I shorted the two power pins and the motherboard turned on. I swapped out my spare power supply with my current power supply and the spare motherboard turns on again so it seems the power supply is not the issue. I unplugged everything on my main motherboard and connected the power supply again and tried to turn it on by shorting the power pins but it still won't power up. This makes me believe that the motherboard is the problem but it doesn't make sense to me for the lightning to damage the motherboard but not the power supply.

E: found a spare power supply with all the needed connectors and the motherboard still won't power up. I guess I'll start by ordering a new motherboard and hope the memory and processor are still good.

IratelyBlank fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 22, 2015

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

IratelyBlank posted:

This makes me believe that the motherboard is the problem but it doesn't make sense to me for the lightning to damage the motherboard but not the power supply.

With these kinds of issues you can never be sure as to what will and what won't be damaged. Also, just because a PSU powers up and seems to function doesn't necessarily mean it's in perfect working order.

• Locked thread