Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
There are so many out there that I have no idea where to start. I'd totally be willing to spend like $5 on a good one though.

I want one that will preload my podcasts while I'm at home on the wifi so that I can play them later in the car without maxing my data plan. No streaming! Any recommendations? (I'm on an iphone too, if that matters)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tegan and Sankara
May 4, 2009

I use PocketCasts which does everything you want--I use the Android version, so can't directly vouch for the iOS version. You can import an OPML file from your RSS feed to load the subscriptions (or subscribe from the app directly), then select which ones download automatically and which ones just show up as ready to download. You can select whether to only download while on WiFi, then override it ad hoc if you not near a connection.

My only annoyance with it is that there is an option to automatically delete episodes after listening/a new one downloads, or an option to keep all old episodes. If you decide you want to listen to an older episode of a podcast you have to select the latter option, and then old episodes stack up and take up memory space. But it's not that hard to delete episodes and the choice only affects one podcast subscription, so it's a pretty minor drawback. Other than that I highly recommend it, very lightweight and easy to use.

Tegan and Sankara fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 24, 2015

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one
Overcast works pretty well for me. It's got a completely unique (afaik) push-based subscription thing so when you subscribe to a podcast, it starts downloading as soon as it releases- like, seconds after it goes up sometimes. Other apps I've used check every couple hours or something so you have to remember to sync the app before you leave the house if you're expecting a new ep.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
I've been using Podkicker for years now. The only negative thing I can say about it is adding subscriptions can be a pain in the rear end if it doesn't come up on the search.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Yeah I use and like Overcast, it does exactly what you want (autosync via wifi, play in the car, no cell data used unless you specifically enable it) and it's a nice, simple interface.

Edit: also for $5 you get some nice playback features, like a voice boost and a couple speed controls. Worth it imo

Prop Wash fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 25, 2015

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

anotherone posted:

Overcast works pretty well for me. It's got a completely unique (afaik) push-based subscription thing so when you subscribe to a podcast, it starts downloading as soon as it releases- like, seconds after it goes up sometimes. Other apps I've used check every couple hours or something so you have to remember to sync the app before you leave the house if you're expecting a new ep.

Yeah, overcast works for me. Gets you old eps, descriptions, and good jump forward/back.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Podcast Addict on Android, kinda clunky to be honest but it does what if needs to, allows you to independently choose if you're gonna download/stream/update on wifi or data.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Hat Thoughts posted:

Podcast Addict on Android, kinda clunky to be honest but it does what if needs to, allows you to independently choose if you're gonna download/stream/update on wifi or data.

I've been using that as well. It's been working well but a couple of podcasts seem to be missing early stuff, which might just be the podcasts themselves instead of the app.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
I use Audiocloud to stream podcasts that are on Soundcloud. It works pretty well.

Trek Junkie
Jun 29, 2012

Commander Riker, or Jesus? ... Semantics.
I've been using Podcast Republic for a couple years now, which is a free Android app, and has the option to download episodes. I've had no problems with it myself. It doesn't look pretty if that matters to you. :shrug:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

I want one that will preload my podcasts while I'm at home on the wifi so that I can play them later in the car without maxing my data plan. No streaming! Any recommendations? (I'm on an iphone

The default Podcasts app from Apple will do that for you. Just go into the settings (under the Settings app) and set it to "Only download on WI-FI" and uncheck "Use Cellular Data".

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I use BeyondPod on my Android. Downloaded the trial, liked how it worked and bought it.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

If you're on iOS and not using Overcast you're doing it wrong.

Smart speed alone has saved me 260 hours in less than a year.

it might be the most efficient $5 I've ever spent.

Streaming is coming in version 2.0 in 2 months.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Tegan and Sankara posted:

I use PocketCasts which does everything you want--I use the Android version, so can't directly vouch for the iOS version. You can import an OPML file from your RSS feed to load the subscriptions (or subscribe from the app directly), then select which ones download automatically and which ones just show up as ready to download. You can select whether to only download while on WiFi, then override it ad hoc if you not near a connection.

My only annoyance with it is that there is an option to automatically delete episodes after listening/a new one downloads, or an option to keep all old episodes. If you decide you want to listen to an older episode of a podcast you have to select the latter option, and then old episodes stack up and take up memory space. But it's not that hard to delete episodes and the choice only affects one podcast subscription, so it's a pretty minor drawback. Other than that I highly recommend it, very lightweight and easy to use.
I use PocketCasts too. Why is this a problem? You're saying it gives you the option to automatically delete podcasts after you've listened to them. It is also very easy to manually delete episodes. If you don't delete episodes they build up and take up memory. Isn't this a problem of how stuff works rather than this app specifically? If you download stuff onto your computer it will take up memory. You don't have computer users saying 'yeah well I like my laptop but when you fill it with stuff it fills up with stuff??' I'm not being facetious my brain is seriously glitching up with what you are actually complaining about.

PocketCasts forever one hundred years

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Malloreon posted:

the Podcasts app already does streaming? :confused:

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

axolotl farmer posted:

the Podcasts app already does streaming? :confused:

Personally I don't think streaming is useful at all, I'm never away from wifi for more than 10 hours.

No other app has smart speed, though. the time savings is immense. My point was if you need streaming for whatever reason, overcast will have you covered soon.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
I use Doggcatcher for android. It's okay, but I feel like I'm only using 1% of it's features since I only listen to 4 podcasts.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Downcast, because it's the only app on iOS that lets you add your own files, which is how I like to do audio books.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

bigperm posted:

I use Doggcatcher for android. It's okay, but I feel like I'm only using 1% of it's features since I only listen to 4 podcasts.

It's been kind of hosed up for me lately in a way that Pocket Casts isn't. Downloads failing out halfway through for no reason, feeds not updating properly, etc.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Malloreon posted:

I want to like Overcast but not being able to add files to it is a killer.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Downcast has served me well whenever I needed a podcast on my phone. It allows you to search RSS feeds, or add them manually if they are hard to search for. It can download new eps easy enough, and you can set it to delete old and listened eps.

It also saves where you last listened to if I remember right.

Pretty solid app if you don't mind paying.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

~Coxy posted:

I want to like Overcast but not being able to add files to it is a killer.

For what it's worth this is the biggest feature request for me too.

My suggestion is to use overcast for all downloaded/subscription stuff, and a separate client for files you add manually.

It sounds onerous, but at least with the volume of podcasts I go through I need smart speed's time savings.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
The native iOS app has so many bizarre decisions. Why can you only view the descriptions of individual episodes if you enter the feed through your bookmarks or the top charts, but not if you enter through the search or the 'discover' tabs?

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Downcast for ios has been great for at least the two years I've used it since the apple one went to poo poo.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

User-Friendly posted:

The native iOS app has so many bizarre decisions. Why can you only view the descriptions of individual episodes if you enter the feed through your bookmarks or the top charts, but not if you enter through the search or the 'discover' tabs?
I'm also a huge fan of its ability to randomly shut itself down in the middle of a podcast and when you try and press play on your headset again it instead launches the music app and picks a random song from U2's Songs of Innocence album!

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Haruharuharuko posted:

Downcast for ios has been great for at least the two years I've used it since the apple one went to poo poo.

:agreed:

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I used to use Podcast Republic but switched to Pocket Casts in April and haven't looked back. It has shame stats that tell you how much time you've wasted listening to podcasts and what you could have been doing in that time (as well as giving you lots of useful info like how much time you've saved by using various features)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

HonorableTB posted:

It has shame stats that tell you how much time you've wasted listening to podcasts and what you could have been doing in that time

I'm sure it's meant in jest but that's still a little silly.
Who listens to podcasts while doing literally nothing else?

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt

Malloreon posted:

Orwellian poo poo.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I don't understand how people can use smart speed. Do you only listen to dry, fact based podcasts or news with no commentary? Listening to anything like Hardcore History or How Did This Get Made where timing is really important to how it plays would be torturous with that poo poo on.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

TheJoker138 posted:

I don't understand how people can use smart speed. Do you only listen to dry, fact based podcasts or news with no commentary? Listening to anything like Hardcore History or How Did This Get Made where timing is really important to how it plays would be torturous with that poo poo on.

Yes, good question. I use smart speed and as you have correctly identified I only listen to the most boring podcasts imaginable. Just fact after fact. I also have a equalizer so that I can listen to HDTGM without being deafened by shrieking hyena laughter.

Thankfully with Overcast your question is not an issue, because you can set the playback effects per show if you want.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Prop Wash posted:

Yes, good question. I use smart speed and as you have correctly identified I only listen to the most boring podcasts imaginable. Just fact after fact. I also have a equalizer so that I can listen to HDTGM without being deafened by shrieking hyena laughter.

Thankfully with Overcast your question is not an issue, because you can set the playback effects per show if you want.

I've never had problems with levels in HDTGM. I don't get how you can listen to something like it with smart speed though. Half of why it's funny is the timing, and cutting out all the pauses would just make it sound weird. The example they used to sell it on their own website was hardcore history, and I couldn't even get through the minute long clip of it because it completely hosed with Carlin's reading.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer
Overcast on my phone for Smart Speed at work. Pocket casts on my iPad so I can chromecast video podcasts to my tv at home

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Is anyone else having an issue with Podcast Addict on Android, where the podcast starts skipping forwards in 0.5-1 sec intervals when you first start playing it? It stops after I pause and resume playback, but it's really annoying.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

TheJoker138 posted:

I've never had problems with levels in HDTGM. I don't get how you can listen to something like it with smart speed though. Half of why it's funny is the timing, and cutting out all the pauses would just make it sound weird. The example they used to sell it on their own website was hardcore history, and I couldn't even get through the minute long clip of it because it completely hosed with Carlin's reading.

Yes, holy poo poo, how could anyone listen to that.

I could understand it for some of the history podcasts i listen to that are basically recorded lectures, but it will still slaughter any timing and delivery.

A MEGA EXPLODING
Oct 4, 2012

I may be an underachiever, but I do have a name!
Jumping in on the Pocket Casts app bandwagon. I've been using it years and it's p great. Used PodcastAddict before and it was aite

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
Pocket Casts is really good but I keep going back to Overcast because I love the web player.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah I never understood why people would want to listen with faster speed unless if its like hardcore history or something.

I've been using downcast for a long time, but I was wondering if people who have used it and Overcast could tell me any differences between the two?

Nocor
Apr 13, 2013
For Android: Beyondpod

Been using it for years, lots of settings. adding new podcasts can be a pain. (Buy the bloody thing for the price of a cup of coffee you can get hours of entertainment)
You can choose when to update (daily/weekly)
New favorite setting 1.5x speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
lately it's been wolfcool

• Locked thread