Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
Is Barack Obama racist?

Barack Obama offered a poignant glimpse into his African heritage and went on the offensive against female genital mutilation and other “bad traditions” that treat women as second-class citizens, in a speech in Nairobi.

[ ... ]

“Every country and every culture has traditions that are unique and help make that country what it is, but just because something is part of your past doesn’t make it right

[ ... ]

Those are bad traditions: they need to change.

[ ... ]

These traditions may go back centuries; they have no place in the 21st century. They are issues of right or wrong in any culture.

Article in the Grauniad

Who does he think he is, a USAnian going to Africa and telling Africans that they have "bad traditions"? What right does he have to talk about others' "bad traditions" when the US genocided the Indians?

Talk about chutzpah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm not sure what the point of this thread/post is? Some cultural differences are acceptable (or would cause more harm than good to try and force to change) while others (like female genital mutilation) are always bad no matter what. I don't think that's particularly controversial.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Ytlaya posted:

I'm not sure what the point of this thread/post is? Some cultural differences are acceptable (or would cause more harm than good to try and force to change) while others (like female genital mutilation) are always bad no matter what. I don't think that's particularly controversial.

I think he's mocking people? This should probably be in GBS. It would do well there.
But, he likes to troll D@D. Don't tell him what to do.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Ytlaya posted:

I'm not sure what the point of this thread/post is?

At best, to reveal that liberals are the real racists and thus remove any moral high ground from them complaining about the Confederate flag.

At worst, trolling. Well, less purposeful trolling than the above.

THATCHER BRAINWASH
Mar 28, 2015

by Cowcaster
Yes, Barack Obama is a racist.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ytlaya posted:

It's about building a huge straw man of anti-racism and setting it on fire.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"
Even Jeremy Clarkson would find this thread tedious.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Yes.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
No.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I hope so.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
I've heard him say the n word, so I'm sure of it

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why
Just like every other white person.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

TheImmigrant posted:

Who does he think he is, a USAnian going to Africa and telling Africans that they have "bad traditions"? What right does he have to talk about others' "bad traditions" when the US genocided the Indians?

Talk about chutzpah.

He's the first who can do it. Any other president would have immediately become racist.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

SedanChair posted:

He's the first who can do it. Any other president would have immediately become racist.

Why?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Maybe.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I don't think black people are genetically compelled to cut out women's clitorises, but I am not a biologist.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Because he's black.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

When Obama and his family leave the White House and live in loving Florida I will believe you OP.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot
Female genital mutilation is pretty hosed up OP

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.
i wish obama was eldridge cleaver tbh

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Because he's black [sic].

He's also white.

Also, dude, we capitalize Black.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

SedanChair posted:

Because he's black.

Talk Radio seems to think it very important that we remember he's only half black, so it looks like it's still 50% racist.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Gyges posted:

Talk Radio seems to think it very important that we remember he's only half black, so it looks like it's still 50% racist.

It also conjures within the conservative bigot listener, the idea "Obama is also a traitor to his white half".

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

TheImmigrant posted:

He's also white.

This isn't a line of argument that's permitted from those who defended the "one drop" rule, or those who picked up their banner.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Nonsense posted:

It also conjures within the conservative bigot listener, the idea "Obama is also a traitor to his white half".

I bet they're mostly just pissed that his white half gets to say the n-word with impunity. Oh if only they could use that sweet, sweet, word again.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

My favorite convicted felon.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

SedanChair posted:

This isn't a line of argument that's permitted from those who defended the "one drop" rule, or those who picked up their banner.

Who here defended that rule?

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

TheImmigrant posted:

He's also white.

Also, dude, we capitalize Black.

If you did a poll of the American electorate over what race Obama was, what answer do you think would win?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

TheImmigrant posted:

Who here defended that rule?

Oh I also said those who picked up their banner. That'll be you, by being conservative and leaping to undermine Obama's blackness, piping up "he's also white!" That's your reliable function.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
These TheImmigrant threads are like a guide to what a stupid person thinks it means to be clever.

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.
countdown to OP calling islam a "fetish religion" and using the term "che brigade"

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
We have a recent thread about the impermissibility of the US criticizing China, because the US is evil. Wouldn't that principle apply here?

SedanChair posted:

Oh I also said those who picked up their banner. That'll be you, by being conservative and leaping to undermine Obama's blackness, piping up "he's also white!" That's your reliable function.

I'm not conservative.

Helsing posted:

These TheImmigrant threads are like a guide to what a stupid person thinks it means to be clever.

Off topic.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

TheImmigrant posted:

I'm not conservative.

That's what conservatives say. They're all very unique and just happen to end up at the National Review cruise like "what am I doing here? This whole boat is full of conservatives."

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Your Weird Uncle posted:

countdown to OP calling islam a "fetish religion" and using the term "che brigade"

It is kinda funny watching him get increasingly aggressive as he starts losing the argument

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
If there is any racism here, it's in the assertion that Barack Obama is incapable of holding a certain opinion because of the color of his skin.

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.
and another thing, why isnt there a white history month

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

TheImmigrant posted:

If there is any racism here, it's in the assertion that Barack Obama is incapable of holding a certain opinion because of the color of his skin.

He can hold any opinion he wants to, that doesn't make it racist just because it would be if a white president held it.

• Locked thread