Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
Is Barack Obama racist?

Barack Obama offered a poignant glimpse into his African heritage and went on the offensive against female genital mutilation and other “bad traditions” that treat women as second-class citizens, in a speech in Nairobi.

[ ... ]

“Every country and every culture has traditions that are unique and help make that country what it is, but just because something is part of your past doesn’t make it right

[ ... ]

Those are bad traditions: they need to change.

[ ... ]

These traditions may go back centuries; they have no place in the 21st century. They are issues of right or wrong in any culture.

Article in the Grauniad

Who does he think he is, a USAnian going to Africa and telling Africans that they have "bad traditions"? What right does he have to talk about others' "bad traditions" when the US genocided the Indians?

Talk about chutzpah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

SedanChair posted:

He's the first who can do it. Any other president would have immediately become racist.

Why?

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Because he's black [sic].

He's also white.

Also, dude, we capitalize Black.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

SedanChair posted:

This isn't a line of argument that's permitted from those who defended the "one drop" rule, or those who picked up their banner.

Who here defended that rule?

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
We have a recent thread about the impermissibility of the US criticizing China, because the US is evil. Wouldn't that principle apply here?

SedanChair posted:

Oh I also said those who picked up their banner. That'll be you, by being conservative and leaping to undermine Obama's blackness, piping up "he's also white!" That's your reliable function.

I'm not conservative.

Helsing posted:

These TheImmigrant threads are like a guide to what a stupid person thinks it means to be clever.

Off topic.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
If there is any racism here, it's in the assertion that Barack Obama is incapable of holding a certain opinion because of the color of his skin.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Your Weird Uncle posted:

and another thing, why isnt there a white history month

Because white history has never been suppressed, at least not in the US. Same reason there has been no large-scale straight-rights movement.

Off topic though.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Abner Cadaver II posted:

I think that's the Republican party.

They suck.

Your Weird Uncle posted:

arent you the same dude that posted the thread about how white privilege isnt real? does all that cognitive dissonance make you hard to be around?

This thread is not about me.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
Let me see if I get this right. A member of the elitist of the elite from wealthy country like the US has more in common with a shanty-dweller in Nairobi than a wealthy socialite from Georgetown, depending on how the skin color matches.

Not sure if I'm comfortable with this sort of racial determinism.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Disagree.

I have reported all of you who post off-topic responses, fail to capitalize, fail to punctuate, and use abusive language.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

down with slavery posted:

There was a time when I didn't but I realize now that I was an idiot in my younger years (still am an idiot... just figuring a few things out)

That's a bravely controversial handle you chose for yourself.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

i think he is racist against black people

Racist against Africans, maybe.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

I guess it's silly for me to complain that nobody has the slightest clue what racism means when none of you know what race means either.

Racism is confusing mutable behavior with immutable characteristics like skin color. E.g., to think that a black American cannot hold unfavorable opinions of African people, merely because he is black, is racist.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

personally i think he is racist against the race of black people

Your inability to write correctly is probably a function of your lack of education and laziness, but definitely not your race.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Nope. Maybe next quarter sign up for a Race and Gender class.

Propose an alternate definition. I'm too old and have spent too much time on campus for more undergrad liberal arts indoctrination. I'm not going back unless to teach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

None of those definitions are inconsistent with mine.

• Locked thread