Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

PupsOfWar posted:

If Stoker were driven by loneliness he would just write tons of fanfiction like me most american college girls

Pretty sure we have Anne Rice for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Speaking of which literary branch of vampirism is supposedly the most authentic according to historical records?

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SedanChair posted:

I've integrated anthropology and political science, to transcend common bias
To comprehend the necromancer, master of the highest forms of telekinesis,
hypnosis, parallel projection of the astral self, perverse gnosis and telepathy,
the power to control wolves, to transform, to live infinitely

This is interesting. Are you asserting that Prince Charles is Dracula, or that he is simply some other vampire? If that latter, have you considered the theories of David Icke regarding the alleged blood-feasting tendencies of members of the royal family?

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Gravel Gravy posted:

Speaking of which literary branch of vampirism is supposedly the most authentic according to historical records?

I'd suggest oral history and folklore. Later cultural and more self-consciously literary references are suspect for many reasons, not the least of which is that they may have been distorted to serve class interests; I think others in this thread have mentioned the intersection of class and Dracula. Nonetheless I wouldn't discard any mention of him given the paucity of hard evidence. Truth may be lurking anywhere, even in the most bizarre and nonsensical of arguments, after all.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Sharkie posted:

I'd suggest oral history and folklore. Later cultural and more self-consciously literary references are suspect for many reasons, not the least of which is that they may have been distorted to serve class interests; I think others in this thread have mentioned the intersection of class and Dracula. Nonetheless I wouldn't discard any mention of him given the paucity of hard evidence. Truth may be lurking anywhere, even in the most bizarre and nonsensical of arguments, after all.

Wouldn't choosing a more contemporary work open the doors for more discussion though? It would be rudimentary but by making inaccessible t more you can spread the message more effectively.

Like the birds and the bees talks you had as a kid. "Babies come from storks" to "mommy and daddy wanted a baby" to the actual birds bees talk. You open up the doorway with the idea that you can give a more thorough and proper education once they are able to cope with the truth. Much like Scientology teachings.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
Here's what I've discovered after years of study: not all draculas are jews, but all jews are draculas. So yes, Dracula Israel

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Gravel Gravy posted:

Wouldn't choosing a more contemporary work open the doors for more discussion though? It would be rudimentary but by making inaccessible t more you can spread the message more effectively.

Like the birds and the bees talks you had as a kid. "Babies come from storks" to "mommy and daddy wanted a baby" to the actual birds bees talk. You open up the doorway with the idea that you can give a more thorough and proper education once they are able to cope with the truth. Much like Scientology teachings.

Ah, the "meat before milk" idea, right? There's some merit to that, I guess. Ease people into the idea of Dracula being a real being who exists just like you or I by way of references to Hellsing and Lestat before dropping the hard truths about Dracula and his possible connections to the British Royal Family.

That being said though, eventually you'll have to get around to examining the earlier, more basic texts. Still, Hellsing and Vampire Hunter D may have useful things to tell us about vampires. It wouldn't be right to dismiss them out of hand.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Sharkie posted:

Ah, the "meat before milk" idea, right? There's some merit to that, I guess. Ease people into the idea of Dracula being a real being who exists just like you or I by way of references to Hellsing and Lestat before dropping the hard truths about Dracula and his possible connections to the British Royal Family.

That being said though, eventually you'll have to get around to examining the earlier, more basic texts. Still, Hellsing and Vampire Hunter D may have useful things to tell us about vampires. It wouldn't be right to dismiss them out of hand.

Still there is a limit right? I mean Twilight has about to do with authentic vampire history as Cork Romano does with Hoover's FBI.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Gravel Gravy posted:

Still there is a limit right? I mean Twilight has about to do with authentic vampire history as Cork Romano does with Hoover's FBI.

Who am I to say? I'm not familiar with Twilight, but if someone else is and wants to argue its historical and scientific accuracy, you owe them a listen before dismissing them out of hand.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
You are right and just as always. I should've done some research before I got s dismissive. Here is some research I found with regards to twilights vampirism validity.

Becca age 13 posted:

Specifically she was telling me that Edward wasn't really a vampire because "he has no fangs and doesn't need blood to survive, also the sun thing...". I replied saying that just because Stephenie made her vampires different doesn't mean that they're not vampires. In the end we agreed to disagree.
Personally, I feel that the Twilight vampires are so much better because they are different. I love that they don't fit into the stereotypical definition of a vampire. It's actually really refreshing, I think. I like that they don't have fangs or need to rely on blood or any other difference they have from the stereotype.
I don't know why this bothers me so much. I mean, I just don't understand why a vampire has to fit the whole definition of a vampire to be considered one.
http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/twilight-series/articles/6147/title/twilight-vampires-vs-definition-vampires

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Which vampire is the most rude?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

PupsOfWar posted:

Do day walkers count? If so Wesley Snipes.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

personally, i still view them as vampires. i really don't see what the definition of vampires has to do with actually being a vampire. i just don't understand why there's so much close-mindedness about this topic. it's always like the first thing twilight haters bring up. to me it's not a very strong argument against stephenie or her series.

quote:

Hun, saying that the definition doesn't mean something is something, makes no sense. You can call an orange an apple, but it isn't, it's just another fruit. From everything I can gather about these "vampires" they're actually fairies/pixies lying their butts off. They fit that definition a lot better. Especially the sparkly bit. So if you can't understand that something has to be something in order to be it and that a label is in reference to that specific thing, then you're not a human, you're a mule and a stubborn one at that.

I can see I have a lot of research to do. I'm just interested in the existence of Dracula, not Twilight, but it seems like it would be foolish to laugh at these arguments and not engage them critically.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Sharkie posted:

I can see I have a lot of research to do. I'm just interested in the existence of Dracula, not Twilight, but it seems like it would be foolish to laugh at these arguments and not engage them critically.

At the very least we need to teach the controversy.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
So is this thread suppose to be a parody of "prove god is real" or is this serious

I honestly can't tell

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Gravel Gravy posted:

At the very least we need to teach the controversy.

you laugh now but hundreds of years in the future men will kill each other over the theological differences between drauclism and twilightestantism

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Gravel Gravy posted:

Do day walkers count? If so Wesley Snipes.

blade has a certain gallantry

remember when he cradled that one sexy vampire-nazi defector in his arms as she dissolved amid the sunlight

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Sharkie posted:

This is interesting. Are you asserting that Prince Charles is Dracula, or that he is simply some other vampire? If that latter, have you considered the theories of David Icke regarding the alleged blood-feasting tendencies of members of the royal family?

Let's not get caught up in an argument over whether this or that prince is literally Dracula.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Sharkie posted:

Actual proof of Prince Charles being a vampire.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjXBLxRFi3M

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

PupsOfWar posted:

the khajiit vampire that always tells you to gently caress off in oblivion

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Typo posted:

So is this thread suppose to be a parody of "prove god is real" or is this serious

I honestly can't tell

This thread is for debating and discussing the existence of Dracula.

And no, it's not a parody of the "prove god is real" thread.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Il Federale posted:

the khajiit vampire that always tells you to gently caress off in oblivion

It was the Breton who was the vampire, not the Khajiit.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Technogeek posted:

It was the Breton who was the vampire, not the Khajiit.

yeah i got confused and thought the entire dark brotherhood was vampires for some reason

nvm

also: mehrunes dagon is actually good

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I should rewatch John Carpenters: Vampires because that movie so owns bones.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Bip Roberts posted:

I should rewatch John Carpenters: Vampires because that movie so owns bones.

Does it speak to the existence of Dracula?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Sharkie posted:

Does it speak to the existence of Dracula?

imho its not about whether dracula does exist so much as whether dracula should exist

"Does the World Need a Dracula?"

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Maybe this is slightly off topic, but if we assume Dracula is real, do you think he's sexy?

Dracula is real. He lives in every member of the Borgeois.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

site posted:

Oh come on, the wolf man isn't real. We have full moons every month there's no way we wouldn't have encountered one by now!

Now Frankenstein, he could take Drac.

That's an interesting story. The icon of an aristocratic parasite, a monster capable of blending in with society, against a creature unable to interact with it at all, despite having no wish but to do so, while possessed of powerful intellect and great strength.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Dracula is real. He lives in every member of the Borgeois.

Absolutely. But in what sense is this "real?" Real as a concept, or real as a (usually) corporeal being? Marx is ambiguous:

from http://gretl.ecn.wfu.edu/~cottrell/OPE/archive/0604/att-0138/01-PoliticalEconOfTheDead.pdf:

quote:

If one extends such a textual analysis to other major and minor works by Marx, it is clear that the vampire motif, if not the vampire himself, runs like a red thread through his work. In The Class Struggles in France he compares the National Assembly to ‘a vampire living off the blood of the June insurgents’.

In The Civil War in France the agents of the French state, such as ‘the notary, advocate, executor, and other judicial vampires’, are described as blood-suckers’. In the Eighteenth Brumaire he comments that ‘the bourgeois order...has become a vampire that sucks out its [the smallholding peasantry’s blood and brains and throws them into the alchemist’s cauldron’....

The theme of the vampire had also been present in the work of both Marx and Engels throughout the 1840s. In The Condition of the Working Class in England, the sociological observations of which filtered through into Marx’s Capital, Engels had already toyed with the idea of the ‘vampire property-holding class’. In The Holy Family the two writers comment about a character of Eugene Sue’s that ‘he cannot possibly lead that kind of life without sucking the blood out of his little principality in Germany to the last drop like 'a vampire’.

In his unfinished journalism as ‘The Correspondent from the Mosel’, Marx had planned to write five sections, the fourth (and never written) of which was to be on ‘The Vampires of the Mosel Region’; and in an essay on the Prussian Constitution of 1849, Marx comments on ‘the Christian-Germanic sovereign and his accomplices, the whole host of lay-abouts, para-sites and vampires sucking the blood of the people’.

It is clear, then, that as a metaphor the vampire and its connotations play a key role in many of Marx’s formulations. The question I wish to address here is: Why?

I would answer "Because Dracula, and vampires, are real, and Marx was trying to warn us." It's perhaps unfortunate he had to give himself room to allow his warnings to be construed as metaphor. Possibly because of a capitalist/vampiric conspiracy, though I'm not certain.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Dracula is what my friend called his penis because he enjoyed period sex, so vampires must be real.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

nutranurse posted:

Dracula is what my friend called his penis because he enjoyed period sex, so vampires must be real.

You never had any friends. Vampires debunked,

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Sharkie posted:

Absolutely. But in what sense is this "real?" Real as a concept, or real as a (usually) corporeal being? Marx is ambiguous:

from http://gretl.ecn.wfu.edu/~cottrell/OPE/archive/0604/att-0138/01-PoliticalEconOfTheDead.pdf:

I would answer "Because Dracula, and vampires, are real, and Marx was trying to warn us." It's perhaps unfortunate he had to give himself room to allow his warnings to be construed as metaphor. Possibly because of a capitalist/vampiric conspiracy, though I'm not certain.

Marx seemed to have knowledge not only of vampires, but of brain-sucking vampires.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SedanChair posted:

Marx seemed to have knowledge not only of vampires, but of brain-sucking vampires.

http://www.vampires.com/brahmaparusha-brain-eating-vampire-of-india/

quote:

The brahmaparusha is a particularly horrifying vampire of India. This vampire is a malevolent spirit who takes delight in eating humans. They are extremely vicious and consumed with bloodlust, and a hunger for brains.

Honestly, though, I don't think it's possible to have a true understanding of Marxism unless you believe in the physical reality of undead vampires, given their importance in Marx's work. However, we're getting a little far afield here, and I'd like to focus specifically on Dracula. Marx is relevant though because we can accept he's provided useful tools for understanding the world around us, and the belief in vampires - which lends credence to the existence of Dracula - seems to be one of them.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I know medical technology has advanced a lot in the past 50 years but what are the current rates of babies born as draculas?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I may have missed this but given that you want to focus on Dracula are you considering that Dracula may have existed but no longer does? Nearly every piece of literature on the subject indicates that Dracula is currently dead; if anything, a living Dracula is not supported in any serious record.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Zachack posted:

I may have missed this but given that you want to focus on Dracula are you considering that Dracula may have existed but no longer does? Nearly every piece of literature on the subject indicates that Dracula is currently dead; if anything, a living Dracula is not supported in any serious record.

Dracula certainly did exist at one point; I don't think that's debated. However, if you have evidence that narratives which present a vampiric Dracula as currently existing in the present day are flawed, please discuss how they're flawed instead of just dismissing them.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Gravel Gravy posted:

Pretty sure we have Anne Rice for that.

Anne Rice is no where near the worst of the lot. I am sad that I know this.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Anita Blake beats everybody for worst vampire/were leopard hybrid.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
You folks have obviously never known the joy of internet RP Vampire: The Masquerade players if you think that's as bad as it gets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Sharkie posted:

Dracula certainly did exist at one point; I don't think that's debated. However, if you have evidence that narratives which present a vampiric Dracula as currently existing in the present day are flawed, please discuss how they're flawed instead of just dismissing them.

Actually Dracula's existence is highly debated and evidence supporting his existence is poor at best, but within that limited "can't melt steel beams" evidence the "Dracula still lives" branch contains errors of the sort like "9/11 was caused by holograph lasers". You can research and defend that stance if you'd like but I do warn you that SA bans racists and perma's pedophiles.

• Locked thread