Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
This is a thread for posting about the Tecmo/Koei warriors games which are insanely good. I'm sure we're all familiar with them and have played them at some point by now and love them. Dynasty warriors is the main series and its Romance of Three Kingdoms but with an electric guitar. DW is by far my favorite of the warriors games prolly cause it was my first and also I love ROTK. Samurai Warriors is also good, its the Japanese warring states but with techno shamisens. Warriors Orochi is when all the dynasty and samurai warriors get together and fight each other and demons. There's also a Hyrule warriors thats about Zelda characters, a Gundam one, and a Fist of the North Star one but I haven't played any of these. There's a Dragon Quest one coming out soon too.

There's Nobunaga's Ambition games and Romance of the Three Kingdoms games too but they're console strategy games that are still good but not arcade beat em up style games. There's a new Nobunaga's Ambition coming out in September of this year in English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I've loved these games since playing Dynasty Warriors 2 on PS2. Since then, I've played every release, 100%ing them all. I wear glasses.

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
I remember in one of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms games you didn't have to be in charge of a kingdom so you could just wander around China repairing sheds and getting in bar fights, that's probably the best one.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

I'm really excited about Tetra and the King of Red Lions getting added to Hyrule Warriors.

Also my first musou was Dynasty Warriors on PSP which I always assumed was a port of an earlier game in the series but I guess it actually isn't

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I've loved these games since playing Dynasty Warriors 2 on PS2. Since then, I've played every release, 100%ing them all. I wear glasses.

same except I haven't played any of the anime based ones and contacts over here

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

a bay posted:

I remember in one of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms games you didn't have to be in charge of a kingdom so you could just wander around China repairing sheds and getting in bar fights, that's probably the best one.

ROTK 7, 8, and 10 all had you playing as a single character but the one you're prolly thinking of is 10 which was by far the best ROTK and one I still play to this very day on occasion

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

apropos to nothing posted:

same except I haven't played any of the anime based ones and contacts over here

I haven't played the anime based ones either. Another good series under the same umbrella is Sengoku Basara. it's a shame capcom is AIDS and we will never see another localized version.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

good job op.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i'll play the zelda one eventually. i'd play the dragon quest one if i had a ps4. maybe i will when it comes out.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

i'm interested in Hyrule Warriors 3DS and hope it's good with minimal pop-ins and other crap that made the mobile gaames bad

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I haven't played the newest samurai warriors but I think I'm gonna get it this week for ps4. My favorite warriors related memory is playing the siege of osaka as yukimura in SW1 trying to get his final weapon the night before I had to take a test and I kept feeling like I should be studying but just kept playing video games instead.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
one of my friends pursued lu bu. lu bu oneshot him and he landed on a pot w/ a full health in it, revived, and lu bu still owned him

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

synthy is right that Warriors Orochi is really good but hard. the last level of the Samurai story keeps kicking my rear end and full-comboing me to death on the normal difficulty, even though my characters are high level with strong weapons.

also Dynasty Tactics 2 is really really surprisingly good of a turn-based strategy rpg. Its a little slow paced but has a deeper team combo system than almost any other game in that genre and cool abilities based around manipulating positioning and turn order.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

apropos to nothing posted:

There's Nobunaga's Ambition games and Romance of the Three Kingdoms games too but they're console strategy games that are still good but not arcade beat em up style games. There's a new Nobunaga's Ambition coming out in September of this year in English.

Some of those games are on steam now, too, but they don't support English.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
I Like Dynasty Wrariors.

SombereroLad
May 18, 2006

WAHAHAHAHAHA
Fun Shoe
Wu 4 lyfe

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
PTO 2 is the best koei game.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Dynasty Warriors 4 was my favorite. There were custom characters you could build with I think four weapon types, which were unique. The fencer was insanely broken with basically no health or defense but totally maxed out attack and move speed. You could just ignore the entire battle, run to the end, and kill the boss to win the map.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
a song named after the posters in this thread https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIhzQn1jwrk

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Sun Shiang Xang best character.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've never played one before but I'm going to get Dragon Quest Heroes.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

just got hyrule warriors a few weeks ago and it's so sick, musou games own

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
see those soldiers? you can kill them

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Shu has all the fun spear/polearm guys, but I'm Wei.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I want to try the Gundam one.

Flying Squirrel
Oct 24, 2007
Thanks, Zombie Lincoln
Zhang He 2beautiful4U

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Shu has all the fun spear/polearm guys, but I'm Wei.

Jin is ftw because of the Sima family.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

There cool people from every faction. Zhang Fei and Xingcai are my two favorites even though i dont like shu very much overall.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

lesbian baphomet posted:

Some of those games are on steam now, too, but they don't support English.

There's a fan translation patch for the latest RoT3K

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
I wish there was as many samurai warriors as dynasty warriors
i lieked the ninjas and the castle battles. i also like its soundtrack better

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

I like Nobunaga Oda.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

cownobunga dude

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
A man's life of 50 years under the sky
is nothing compared to
the age of this world.
Life is but a fleeting dream, an illusion --
Is there anything that lasts forever?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

i'm interested in Hyrule Warriors 3DS and hope it's good with minimal pop-ins and other crap that made the mobile gaames bad

the newer vita ones run pretty well.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i just bought hyrule warriors a few days ago and it's real good.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Xiahou Dun owns

he got hit in the eye w/ an arrow and was worried it'd mess up the morale of his men so he pulled the arrow out and ate his eye off it

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Doctor Goat posted:

Xiahou Dun owns

he got hit in the eye w/ an arrow and was worried it'd mess up the morale of his men so he pulled the arrow out and ate his eye off it

i think thats the most badass thing i ever saw in a video game

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Doctor Goat posted:

Xiahou Dun owns

This and Dian Wei's sacrifice cement Wei's stance as best clan.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
In ROTK, when Dian Wei dies to save Cao Cao, Cao Cao's eldest son Cao Ang and a nephew Cao Anmin also die. At their funeral a little later Cao Cao starts crying and everybody tries to comfort him and he says something like "I'm not really that sad about my son and nephew dying, just that I lost such a great warrior in Dian Wei"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

After playing SW4 it's weird going back to the older games (Hyperdash is soooo good! :negative: )

• Locked thread