Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I just got SW4 today and am going to enjoy it so much. I havent played a SW game since 2 and havent played DW8 in over a year now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

apropos to nothing posted:

In ROTK, when Dian Wei dies to save Cao Cao, Cao Cao's eldest son Cao Ang and a nephew Cao Anmin also die. At their funeral a little later Cao Cao starts crying and everybody tries to comfort him and he says something like "I'm not really that sad about my son and nephew dying, just that I lost such a great warrior in Dian Wei"

lol

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
i used to spend hours over at my friends house playing these games. i always thought zhou tai was super badass because of the iaijutsu. i think 4 was the first game he was playable in?

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
Been playing SW4 today, its truly a triumph. Another Tecmo/Koei gem. The best things so far I've noticed is that when the level starts you start surrounded by dudes immediately instead of having to even walk 5 feet like in previous musou games so you start killing dudes without even walking a step and you can attack soldiers while theyre on the ground now too so you never have any reason to stop mashing an attack button

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I moved at the end of seventh grade to a poo poo town I hated. I didn't have any friends and I was staying with my grandmother, who lived out in the middle of nowhere, so I had no chance of really making friends. I did have a new PS2 and a copy of Dynasty Warriors 3 (since a friend where I used to live would play the demo with me for hours on his PS2).

I remember playing the Chang Ban Bridge map in DW3 while my dad was watching TV. He looked at the game and said in broken English, "I know that guy. He yelled real loud and the army turned around and ran away." He grew up in Vietnam, and apparently most Asian countries love the Three Kingdoms period. I thought it was cool that all this was (very, very loosely) based on historical events. I saw a review of ROTK7 in EGM, and decided to buy it, even though it sounded boring as poo poo. It turned out to be the easiest way to kill the hundreds of hours a week I had free from not having friends or anything to do.

I remember rerolling stats on created characters in ROTK to get specific skills and making a family of ronin so I could play as a created character for any period of the Three Kingdoms and still have uncles and grandfathers and forutne-telling nieces and poo poo, it was great. I also remember taunting the enemy into some mountain pass and starting an insane fire trap that destroyed them in one campaign. It was like my own Red Cliffs stratagem.

I hope the newest ROTK sees a release in English, because I hear it's more like 7, 8, and 10, where you can dick around instead of ruling a kingdom. My favorite's still 7, but 10 did have those dope intellectual duels where you play a little board game to have your dude rhetoricize another guy until he falls off the metaphorical bridge of political and philosophical debate. Don't remember anything about 8, besides it being very similar to 7.

In eighth grade, I read all of Romance of the Three Kingdoms, even though it didn't make any sense and was extremely dry at times and people kept asking about the title.

I got a PS4 a couple months ago. The first game I bought after Bloodborne was Samurai Warriors 4, and it's so fast and awesome, it blows my mind. The first time I played it, it was with my friend who also grew up playing these games. We both kept screaming and yelling, especially after discovering hyper attacks and the focus meter and the bonuses you get after getting 1000 kills. All of our other friends think we're retarded for liking these games. I don't care. If he still drank, I'd loved to get tipsy and blast through free mode as Ginchiyo Tachibana, the #1 super best hyper attack character in the game.

Samurai Warriors 4 is the first Samurai Warriors game I've played (not counting Orochi 3). Now I'm halfway through a 1000 page hardcover historical fiction book, Taiko, which is about Hideyoshi Toyotomi and Nobunaga Oda's rise to power. I'm curious to see if there's any live-action or high quality anime representation of the Sengoku period. Last year, I watched all of the 2010 Chinese TV series, which you can find English subs for on YouTube. I also watched maybe half of the hilariously chintzy 1992 series, as well as the adaptation of the similar Chinese military epic, Water Margin. I've listened to an audiobook version of The Art of War with additional commentary from several military leaders and philosophers, including Cao Cao himself.

My friend and I played most of Hyrule Warriors, and it's pretty good. I was skeptical when it was announced, but it's very polished and a lot of the characters are tons of fun, despite me not knowing much about Zelda besides Link to the Past. Still prefer DW8 and SW4.

I am a loving dork and I love this poo poo. I'd be playing SW4 or Orochi 3 right now if I weren't playing Peace Walker for the first time. Bye.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Warriors Orochi is great for being surrounded immediately. The game is hard as balls until you get the better item drops and you will be surrounded by 8 generals in the first stage. It's so freaking good.. probably my favorite title in the whole series.

From barely scraping by the stages to feeling very powerful, but if you let a general juggle you chances are another will jump in after, doing hella dmg to you and possibly ending your run. The series has never felt as balanced since then. THe newer games, while good, still lack that fundamental sense of progression.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Been playing SW4 today, its truly a triumph. Another Tecmo/Koei gem. The best things so far I've noticed is that when the level starts you start surrounded by dudes immediately instead of having to even walk 5 feet like in previous musou games so you start killing dudes without even walking a step and you can attack soldiers while theyre on the ground now too so you never have any reason to stop mashing an attack button

When I play these games, I know that the challenge isn't in fighting, but in paying attention and defeating officers in the right order, but SW4's gameplay is the most tempting to just go nuts and fight every dude you see. It's the pinnacle of the musou series. Hit triangle forever (or until an officer stops you). Get used to using your Rage GaugeŽ at the right moment, when it looks the coolest.

I kind of wished it had an English dub so I knew what ridiculous poo poo everyone was saying after their ultimate true musou virtuous super attacks.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Huh, should take a look at it then.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
lol SW is still trying to make Tadakatsu the big bad of the sengoku jidai making him all hyper and playing his theme music, this chump aint got poo poo on Lu Bu

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Warriors Orochi is great for being surrounded immediately. The game is hard as balls until you get the better item drops and you will be surrounded by 8 generals in the first stage. It's so freaking good.. probably my favorite title in the whole series.

From barely scraping by the stages to feeling very powerful, but if you let a general juggle you chances are another will jump in after, doing hella dmg to you and possibly ending your run. The series has never felt as balanced since then. THe newer games, while good, still lack that fundamental sense of progression.

Yeah its been really good. I appreciate the fact that no matter how powerful you get in terms of being able to kill quickly, having two or three commanders on you at once is always still a serious danger. And i havent even tried the harder difficulty levels yet.

Even the normal enemies with one general can be threatening if you stop attacking and knocking them back for like a second.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
warriors orochi is definitely the hardest series of musou games. I remember regularly dying on nightmare difficulty even after getting all the best weapons and poo poo for characters

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

"Entropy will always triumph." -Orochi

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

"Is that so?" - Oda Nobunaga

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
"Its. Just. That. Simple." - The far superior Nobunaga officer murdering line

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

"Its. Just. That. Simple." - The far superior Nobunaga officer murdering line

hell yeah, though i think basara nobunaga is a little more badass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YKtKm3SDfo&t=65s

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Let me know when a ww2 musou comes out chinas a snoozefest of a country.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
China fought in WW2 and a lot of the resistance members used the kingdom of Shu-Han as an inspiration because throughout history when Han China was driven from the North by the Jurchens, Manchus, etc. the Chinese kinda portrayed Shu as the good guys because they identified with the whole militant government in exile from the heartland which is sort of what happened during the Japanese occupation. Shu-Han also occupied the same regions (Sichuan, Yunnan, Guizhou) as the Chinese resistance fighters did during the Japanese occupation you stupid loving piece of poo poo

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

lol SW is still trying to make Tadakatsu the big bad of the sengoku jidai making him all hyper and playing his theme music, this chump aint got poo poo on Lu Bu

Hondam was badass on Basara

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

China fought in WW2 and a lot of the resistance members used the kingdom of Shu-Han as an inspiration because throughout history when Han China was driven from the North by the Jurchens, Manchus, etc. the Chinese kinda portrayed Shu as the good guys because they identified with the whole militant government in exile from the heartland which is sort of what happened during the Japanese occupation. Shu-Han also occupied the same regions (Sichuan, Yunnan, Guizhou) as the Chinese resistance fighters did during the Japanese occupation you stupid loving piece of poo poo

Mao Zedong identified himself as Cao Cao because he's badass

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

You're giving me the vapors.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

In China they don't have the expression "Speak of the devil" instead they say "Speak of Cao Cao and he's at the gates"
:cheerdoge:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

In China they don't have the expression "Speak of the devil" instead they say "Speak of Cao Cao and he's at the gates"
:cheerdoge:

Good ol cow cow and cow pee.

Velisarius
Nov 1, 2009
these games are full of the whitest looking chinamen.

but still, fun times.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
I never played any of their more famous games but I'm playing Toukiden Kiwami and enjoying it a lot, even if it's a bit slow.

Also, Koei owns because Celtic Tales.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
Toukiden has been a fun monster hunter-light to fill the void that exists since I currently don't own any nintendo products on which to play MH. I hope Koei makes a sequel and if they do, they gear it towards consoles instead of handhelds

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Toukiden has been a fun monster hunter-light to fill the void that exists since I currently don't own any nintendo products on which to play MH. I hope Koei makes a sequel and if they do, they gear it towards consoles instead of handhelds

yeah i heard the port wasn't that good on the PC so i didn't got it on steam. also somone buy me Bladestorm because i liked the 360 one but i'm not paying 60 dollars

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I have it on ps4 and its fine but yeah I heard the pc port was poo poo

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

huh speaking of toukiden they might make a new one

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/07/29/dynasty-warriors-developer-teases-a-new-game-that-isnt-a-warriors-title/

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
The pc port is poo poo, but after fiddling around with nvidia control panel it runs fine for me.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Hondam was badass on Basara

This.

http://images1-1.gamewise.co/120510-full.jpeg

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

lmao its like musou character design turned up to 11

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

And one of his top generals was likened to Zhang Fei. Said general was quickly stripped of power.

Historical analogies are SERIOUS BUSINESS in China :china:

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

SirPhoebos posted:

And one of his top generals was likened to Zhang Fei. Said general was quickly stripped of power.

Historical analogies are SERIOUS BUSINESS in China :china:

i love ur av

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
Another thing I like that they added in SW2 is the way enemies are stronger in certain areas if there are a lot of officers, bases, and standard bearers around. Even the mook generals can be in the glowing red hyper Lu Bu mode if you fight them in areas with more enemies

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

GANDHITRON posted:

I moved at the end of seventh grade to a poo poo town I hated. I didn't have any friends and I was staying with my grandmother, who lived out in the middle of nowhere, so I had no chance of really making friends. I did have a new PS2 and a copy of Dynasty Warriors 3 (since a friend where I used to live would play the demo with me for hours on his PS2).

I remember playing the Chang Ban Bridge map in DW3 while my dad was watching TV. He looked at the game and said in broken English, "I know that guy. He yelled real loud and the army turned around and ran away." He grew up in Vietnam, and apparently most Asian countries love the Three Kingdoms period. I thought it was cool that all this was (very, very loosely) based on historical events. I saw a review of ROTK7 in EGM, and decided to buy it, even though it sounded boring as poo poo. It turned out to be the easiest way to kill the hundreds of hours a week I had free from not having friends or anything to do.

I remember rerolling stats on created characters in ROTK to get specific skills and making a family of ronin so I could play as a created character for any period of the Three Kingdoms and still have uncles and grandfathers and forutne-telling nieces and poo poo, it was great. I also remember taunting the enemy into some mountain pass and starting an insane fire trap that destroyed them in one campaign. It was like my own Red Cliffs stratagem.

I hope the newest ROTK sees a release in English, because I hear it's more like 7, 8, and 10, where you can dick around instead of ruling a kingdom. My favorite's still 7, but 10 did have those dope intellectual duels where you play a little board game to have your dude rhetoricize another guy until he falls off the metaphorical bridge of political and philosophical debate. Don't remember anything about 8, besides it being very similar to 7.

In eighth grade, I read all of Romance of the Three Kingdoms, even though it didn't make any sense and was extremely dry at times and people kept asking about the title.

I got a PS4 a couple months ago. The first game I bought after Bloodborne was Samurai Warriors 4, and it's so fast and awesome, it blows my mind. The first time I played it, it was with my friend who also grew up playing these games. We both kept screaming and yelling, especially after discovering hyper attacks and the focus meter and the bonuses you get after getting 1000 kills. All of our other friends think we're retarded for liking these games. I don't care. If he still drank, I'd loved to get tipsy and blast through free mode as Ginchiyo Tachibana, the #1 super best hyper attack character in the game.

Samurai Warriors 4 is the first Samurai Warriors game I've played (not counting Orochi 3). Now I'm halfway through a 1000 page hardcover historical fiction book, Taiko, which is about Hideyoshi Toyotomi and Nobunaga Oda's rise to power. I'm curious to see if there's any live-action or high quality anime representation of the Sengoku period. Last year, I watched all of the 2010 Chinese TV series, which you can find English subs for on YouTube. I also watched maybe half of the hilariously chintzy 1992 series, as well as the adaptation of the similar Chinese military epic, Water Margin. I've listened to an audiobook version of The Art of War with additional commentary from several military leaders and philosophers, including Cao Cao himself.

My friend and I played most of Hyrule Warriors, and it's pretty good. I was skeptical when it was announced, but it's very polished and a lot of the characters are tons of fun, despite me not knowing much about Zelda besides Link to the Past. Still prefer DW8 and SW4.

I am a loving dork and I love this poo poo. I'd be playing SW4 or Orochi 3 right now if I weren't playing Peace Walker for the first time. Bye.

im glad you like the games. i do too.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

this is cool as hell.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

NickRoweFillea posted:

this is cool as hell.

play Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQRFw-NtBaI

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

i looked up the basara character designs and Nobunaga has a shotgun in his offhand.

im kind of disappointed they dont have Naoe though, he's one of my favorites in samurai and orochi.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

here is the picture of the man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

lesbian baphomet posted:

i looked up the basara character designs and Nobunaga has a shotgun in his offhand.

im kind of disappointed they dont have Naoe though, he's one of my favorites in samurai and orochi.

justice!

compassion!

he's a dork but he's fun to use.

• Locked thread