Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

apropos to nothing posted:

In ROTK, when Dian Wei dies to save Cao Cao, Cao Cao's eldest son Cao Ang and a nephew Cao Anmin also die. At their funeral a little later Cao Cao starts crying and everybody tries to comfort him and he says something like "I'm not really that sad about my son and nephew dying, just that I lost such a great warrior in Dian Wei"

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
i used to spend hours over at my friends house playing these games. i always thought zhou tai was super badass because of the iaijutsu. i think 4 was the first game he was playable in?

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

GANDHITRON posted:

I moved at the end of seventh grade to a poo poo town I hated. I didn't have any friends and I was staying with my grandmother, who lived out in the middle of nowhere, so I had no chance of really making friends. I did have a new PS2 and a copy of Dynasty Warriors 3 (since a friend where I used to live would play the demo with me for hours on his PS2).

I remember playing the Chang Ban Bridge map in DW3 while my dad was watching TV. He looked at the game and said in broken English, "I know that guy. He yelled real loud and the army turned around and ran away." He grew up in Vietnam, and apparently most Asian countries love the Three Kingdoms period. I thought it was cool that all this was (very, very loosely) based on historical events. I saw a review of ROTK7 in EGM, and decided to buy it, even though it sounded boring as poo poo. It turned out to be the easiest way to kill the hundreds of hours a week I had free from not having friends or anything to do.

I remember rerolling stats on created characters in ROTK to get specific skills and making a family of ronin so I could play as a created character for any period of the Three Kingdoms and still have uncles and grandfathers and forutne-telling nieces and poo poo, it was great. I also remember taunting the enemy into some mountain pass and starting an insane fire trap that destroyed them in one campaign. It was like my own Red Cliffs stratagem.

I hope the newest ROTK sees a release in English, because I hear it's more like 7, 8, and 10, where you can dick around instead of ruling a kingdom. My favorite's still 7, but 10 did have those dope intellectual duels where you play a little board game to have your dude rhetoricize another guy until he falls off the metaphorical bridge of political and philosophical debate. Don't remember anything about 8, besides it being very similar to 7.

In eighth grade, I read all of Romance of the Three Kingdoms, even though it didn't make any sense and was extremely dry at times and people kept asking about the title.

I got a PS4 a couple months ago. The first game I bought after Bloodborne was Samurai Warriors 4, and it's so fast and awesome, it blows my mind. The first time I played it, it was with my friend who also grew up playing these games. We both kept screaming and yelling, especially after discovering hyper attacks and the focus meter and the bonuses you get after getting 1000 kills. All of our other friends think we're retarded for liking these games. I don't care. If he still drank, I'd loved to get tipsy and blast through free mode as Ginchiyo Tachibana, the #1 super best hyper attack character in the game.

Samurai Warriors 4 is the first Samurai Warriors game I've played (not counting Orochi 3). Now I'm halfway through a 1000 page hardcover historical fiction book, Taiko, which is about Hideyoshi Toyotomi and Nobunaga Oda's rise to power. I'm curious to see if there's any live-action or high quality anime representation of the Sengoku period. Last year, I watched all of the 2010 Chinese TV series, which you can find English subs for on YouTube. I also watched maybe half of the hilariously chintzy 1992 series, as well as the adaptation of the similar Chinese military epic, Water Margin. I've listened to an audiobook version of The Art of War with additional commentary from several military leaders and philosophers, including Cao Cao himself.

My friend and I played most of Hyrule Warriors, and it's pretty good. I was skeptical when it was announced, but it's very polished and a lot of the characters are tons of fun, despite me not knowing much about Zelda besides Link to the Past. Still prefer DW8 and SW4.

I am a loving dork and I love this poo poo. I'd be playing SW4 or Orochi 3 right now if I weren't playing Peace Walker for the first time. Bye.

im glad you like the games. i do too.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

this is cool as hell.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

capcom wont bring 4 over to the states and that is loving bull poo poo

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
koei is making an attack on titan game. maybe it will have gameplay like dynasty warriors but i dont really know how that would work

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
just thought about how much i enjoy dynasty warriors and sengoku basara. bump

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

lesbian baphomet posted:

fyi samurai warriors 4 empires came out today. bumpb.

cool. thank you for the heads up

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Hyrule Warriors Legends is fun and runs really well on the N3DS.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

this is good to hear, i'll pick it up sometime

I was expecting some slowdown since it's a musou game on a handheld, but i haven't encountered any yet. And it seems like they've kept everything intact from the Wii U version.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

No Such Thing posted:

It compromises on the total number of on screen units, but other than that, it's pretty much the same.

I'm ok with that. I'd rather have fewer onscreen units and a consistent framerate.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

In Training posted:

I can't believe Dane Cook posts in the imp zone

haha

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
It's the magic of Musou.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

im playing Hyrule Warriors. It's my first musou and I'm just pressing the same buttons over and over again mindlessly but I'm enjoying it for some reason so that's cool.

That's what's good about Musou games. You can optimize for maximum Chinese genocide or you can just press square a bunch.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

I want to see more/want it now!!!

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Neogaf is wack.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Is Lost Children the arc where he turns Guts realizes his blade isn't gonna be good enough to kill all the little fairies so he turns it broad side and squishes a whole mess of them like a flyswatter?

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

mysterious loyall X posted:

oh hurrr, this videogame forum where people like ceo@goldmansachs.com and actualtheoreticalphysicialandpoc@yale.edu post isn't objectively the best place to discuss gaming news, design, and tips n tricks on the net

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Zodd the Immortal is gonna be playable on Berserk

He can change between his two forms at will 🙌

• Locked thread