Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
This is a thread for posting about the Tecmo/Koei warriors games which are insanely good. I'm sure we're all familiar with them and have played them at some point by now and love them. Dynasty warriors is the main series and its Romance of Three Kingdoms but with an electric guitar. DW is by far my favorite of the warriors games prolly cause it was my first and also I love ROTK. Samurai Warriors is also good, its the Japanese warring states but with techno shamisens. Warriors Orochi is when all the dynasty and samurai warriors get together and fight each other and demons. There's also a Hyrule warriors thats about Zelda characters, a Gundam one, and a Fist of the North Star one but I haven't played any of these. There's a Dragon Quest one coming out soon too.

There's Nobunaga's Ambition games and Romance of the Three Kingdoms games too but they're console strategy games that are still good but not arcade beat em up style games. There's a new Nobunaga's Ambition coming out in September of this year in English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I've loved these games since playing Dynasty Warriors 2 on PS2. Since then, I've played every release, 100%ing them all. I wear glasses.

same except I haven't played any of the anime based ones and contacts over here

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

a bay posted:

I remember in one of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms games you didn't have to be in charge of a kingdom so you could just wander around China repairing sheds and getting in bar fights, that's probably the best one.

ROTK 7, 8, and 10 all had you playing as a single character but the one you're prolly thinking of is 10 which was by far the best ROTK and one I still play to this very day on occasion

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I haven't played the newest samurai warriors but I think I'm gonna get it this week for ps4. My favorite warriors related memory is playing the siege of osaka as yukimura in SW1 trying to get his final weapon the night before I had to take a test and I kept feeling like I should be studying but just kept playing video games instead.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
a song named after the posters in this thread https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIhzQn1jwrk

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
see those soldiers? you can kill them

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
A man's life of 50 years under the sky
is nothing compared to
the age of this world.
Life is but a fleeting dream, an illusion --
Is there anything that lasts forever?

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
In ROTK, when Dian Wei dies to save Cao Cao, Cao Cao's eldest son Cao Ang and a nephew Cao Anmin also die. At their funeral a little later Cao Cao starts crying and everybody tries to comfort him and he says something like "I'm not really that sad about my son and nephew dying, just that I lost such a great warrior in Dian Wei"

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I just got SW4 today and am going to enjoy it so much. I havent played a SW game since 2 and havent played DW8 in over a year now

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
Been playing SW4 today, its truly a triumph. Another Tecmo/Koei gem. The best things so far I've noticed is that when the level starts you start surrounded by dudes immediately instead of having to even walk 5 feet like in previous musou games so you start killing dudes without even walking a step and you can attack soldiers while theyre on the ground now too so you never have any reason to stop mashing an attack button

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
lol SW is still trying to make Tadakatsu the big bad of the sengoku jidai making him all hyper and playing his theme music, this chump aint got poo poo on Lu Bu

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
warriors orochi is definitely the hardest series of musou games. I remember regularly dying on nightmare difficulty even after getting all the best weapons and poo poo for characters

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
"Its. Just. That. Simple." - The far superior Nobunaga officer murdering line

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
China fought in WW2 and a lot of the resistance members used the kingdom of Shu-Han as an inspiration because throughout history when Han China was driven from the North by the Jurchens, Manchus, etc. the Chinese kinda portrayed Shu as the good guys because they identified with the whole militant government in exile from the heartland which is sort of what happened during the Japanese occupation. Shu-Han also occupied the same regions (Sichuan, Yunnan, Guizhou) as the Chinese resistance fighters did during the Japanese occupation you stupid loving piece of poo poo

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Mao Zedong identified himself as Cao Cao because he's badass

In China they don't have the expression "Speak of the devil" instead they say "Speak of Cao Cao and he's at the gates"
:cheerdoge:

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
Toukiden has been a fun monster hunter-light to fill the void that exists since I currently don't own any nintendo products on which to play MH. I hope Koei makes a sequel and if they do, they gear it towards consoles instead of handhelds

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I have it on ps4 and its fine but yeah I heard the pc port was poo poo

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

lmao its like musou character design turned up to 11

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
Another thing I like that they added in SW2 is the way enemies are stronger in certain areas if there are a lot of officers, bases, and standard bearers around. Even the mook generals can be in the glowing red hyper Lu Bu mode if you fight them in areas with more enemies

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
the hyper attack system in SW4 owns, you can just mow through the grunts while moving at a decent clip and it basically made it so you get 1000 KOs every battle now

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
so apparently the newest nobunaga's ambition comes out in the US on september 1st, the same day as MGSV. its gonna be like sophie's choice trying to pick which one to play first

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
So I took a day off from playing MGSV to give the latest nobunagas ambition a whirl and it's great. Definitely the best Koei strategy game ever and my favorite in the series so far. It's really hard and there's just a ton of stuff to do and settings you can change for campaigns.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
looks like its october 13th for the US

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
this thread is old as hell but I started playing the new nobunaga's ambition again cause MGSV is finally conquered and it owns, definitely the best in the series so far and an actually good strategy game for consoles

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
theyre also releasing an updated nobunagas ambition this month in japan where you can play as individual officers like in the ROTK series. heres hoping for an english release

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
romance of the three kingdoms XIII is gonna launch in the us and europe in july of this year

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

lesbian baphomet posted:

I've been playing a lot of Toukiden the past few days and its a good monster hunter clone. the pc version had a bunch of technical problems on release but its mostly been running perfectly for me. as long as you dont mind playing in 720 resolution instead of 1080

I liked toukiden a lot and theres supposed to be a sequel coming out at some point or so I've heard

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
not musou related but Nioh, the japanese version of dark souls, is getting a demo out later this month from the 26th to may 5th

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
:stare: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TPBx5Dq-Jk

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

Black Baby Goku posted:

Neogaf has a 400 page thread crying about this game depicting the eclipse and how they are all traumatized by what happened to Caska and won't be buying the game

I'll never understand this poo poo. the eclipse is really troubling and hosed up and horrifying. so of course when you see it portrayed in a video game then its trying to arouse you. I'm starting to feel like theres a lot of people who are just reading berserk wrong

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
*woman is raped by demons while they eat her friends and dismember her lover* ugh, feels kinda creepy that the author is trying to turn me on like this

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
lost children owns, its prolly my favorite part

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
the imp zone is the light hearted video game/serious berserk discussion sub forum

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
yeah

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I haven't played it but I've heard its really good. shamefully, the last musou I played was samurai warriors 4 :sweatdrop:

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
rotk 13 comes out tomorrow on pc and ps4

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
yeah it sounds like they completely neutered the free/officer modes so if you dont have a boss theres nothing to do and if youre an officer its just a worse version of the game as a ruler. sucks cause there hasnt been a good rotk in like a decade now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
lol at the stupid name "berserk and the band of the hawk" but game looks good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ov_UZSNSc0

• Locked thread