Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
This can be TV/movie/games/books/any form of media.

Character - In the indie horror movie Spring, the first handful of scenes make references to an unseen friend of the protagonist's named "lovely Carl". He's never mentioned past the first act, but it makes me wonder what kind of person earns a name like that. It cracks me up every time I think about it.

Character - Diane on Twin Peaks. Agent Cooper records messages for her all the time, but we never get to meet her. We didn't even know who she was or what her relationship to Cooper was.

Place - For the first several episodes of Agents of SHIELD, Coulson mentions "Tahiti". Later you find out there was no Tahiti that Coulson remembers, but a horrifying project and a mysterious acronym. They treat it like the real geographic location early on ("It's a magical place"), but put an eerie tinge onto it so you know something's off.

Event - Moss's death in No Country For Old Men. The guy you've been following seems like he's onto something, and then later you just catch up to him in the aftermath of a gunfight and that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The goldfish that Milhouse never had

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
The Tannhauser Gate.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Vera and Maris. - The respective wives of Norm and Niles from Cheers and Frasier.

Whilst this is obvious I always liked the comparisons between them. They made them the opposite of each other. Vera - fat, happy go lucky, neglected but loved by her husband. Maris - Thin, hyperneurotic, doted on by a husband that loves someone else.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It's not really any of the actors or writing on Big Bang Theory that makes it a show its the laugh track who is the best character
https://youtu.be/jKS3MGriZcs

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Keith in L4D2.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
My mom used to watch daytime soaps, and whenever they'd run out of baby or young child storylines for a character they'd suddenly go off to some magic unseen "Swiss boarding school" and come back in a few months as an adult so they could write grown up stories for them.

There's actually a Wikipedia entry about it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The Clone Wars

Verily I Shat
May 24, 2015

by Smythe
This guy called Mad Max

Theres few Max's in the series, but no Mad Max.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Keith in L4D2.

"My buddy Keith lived in a graveyard once for a whole year. It wasn't a dare or nothin', he just got kicked out of his house. He said he NEVER saw a single ghost 'cept for this one time when a ghost stabbed him from behind and took all his money, and he might've just been a homeless guy, 'cause he had a robe on with two eyes cut out his face."

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Anti-God from Prince of Darkness

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Won Ton, the hospital administrator whose wrath even Thornton Reed fears.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.
Donny or Danny (they only call him by name once I can't remember which) from Trailer Park Boys. He's the character you hear screaming "WHAT THE gently caress" and "gently caress OFF WITH THE GUNS" in the distance during shootouts and crowd scenes.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

samu3lk posted:

Donny or Danny (they only call him by name once I can't remember which) from Trailer Park Boys. He's the character you hear screaming "WHAT THE gently caress" and "gently caress OFF WITH THE GUNS" in the distance during shootouts and crowd scenes.

When they talk directly to the camera men is always funny.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

The Whose Line producers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmF70amuZ4g

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Jabba the Hutt in Episode IV. :colbert:

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I'm doing an X-Files rewatch, and there's a recurring "Danny" character who is a friend of Mulder's who would give him information or leads in exchange for tickets to sporting events. I'm pretty sure we never find out who he is either, and I always wondered if it was an homage to Diane in Twin Peaks.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007
I'm re reading Wizard's First Rule and when I got to Giller, I realized you see so little of him, but gather so much. Same with Brophy.

Arx Monolith has a new favorite as of 03:12 on Jul 31, 2015

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
Randy Beaman

And I guess this falls under event, but a bunch of the backstory in Memento: Leonard killing the original John G, how Jimmy recognized Leonard, if there were any more John G's

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

samu3lk posted:

guy who plays bubbles is danny's voice

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The war between the US and Australia in Grand Theft Auto Vice City / Vice City Stories

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Hamster Huey and the Gooey Kablooie/the Noodle Incident from Calvin and Hobbes.

"....do you think the townsfolk will ever find Huey's head?"

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Robert's Rebellion from ASoIaF/GoT. I know prequels are almost universally garbage but I would read/watch the gently caress out out a single book/season where they just did that. It doesn't even have to be a full book/season, I'd settle for something half as long.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Joe in Great expectations, who is rewarded for being a top bloke offscreen while Pip cultivates being an rear end in a top hat for a decade or so.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

ninjahedgehog posted:

Hamster Huey and the Gooey Kablooie/the Noodle Incident from Calvin and Hobbes.

"....do you think the townsfolk will ever find Huey's head?"

Came here to post this one.

Officer Dobson on Pysch was a good one, he was constantly mentioned by Detective Lassister, Lassie would sometimes greet him off screen, if something needed to be done they'd have Dobson do it. In the series finale you discover his identity.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Anakin Skywalker

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Bob Sacamano.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Bonk posted:

Event - Moss's death in No Country For Old Men. The guy you've been following seems like he's onto something, and then later you just catch up to him in the aftermath of a gunfight and that's it.

The same movie's killing of Moss's wife is one of my favorite scenes in cinema. Throughout the movie, insane hitman Anton Chigurh goes to great lengths to keep his boots clean during the bloodshed, taking them off before assaulting the first hotel room, standing on a chair when he notices a blood pool running towards them, probably a few other scenes I can't think of off the top of my head. So Moss's wife comes home from running some errands and finds Anton sitting in her living room. They have a brief conversation, and the camera suddenly cuts to Anton walking out of her home... and checking that his boots are clean.

On a lighter note, the guy that screams ":byodood: MY LEG!!" in the aftermath of chaos in SpongeBob. I haven't even watched that show in like a decade and I still hear it in my head and chuckle during over-the-top explosions or car crashes or whatever in other shows/movies.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

and Lomez

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
The other black guy in Empire Strikes Back.

Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

Don`t fall asleep, you gotta write for THUNDERDOME
What happened to Childs between his disappearance and return at the end of The Thing.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The mostly unknown transition from the Mega Man universe to the Mega Man X universe. I want to see the throwdown between OG Mega Man and a newly-completed Zero that (in my headcanon) results in the deaths of Dr. Light and Dr. Wily, Mega Man's destruction, and a hard reset of Zero's AI.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I imagine Godot from Waiting for Godot is up there.

I liked the Clone Wars a lot more when it was just a casual reference in the original Star Wars trilogy.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Does Bill Brasky count? Cuz if Vera from Cheers counts, so does he.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

What about 000-006? or don't they matter?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Khazar-khum posted:

What about 000-006? or don't they matter?

006 was Sean Bean

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

samu3lk posted:

HAVE ANOTHER DRINK, RAY!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Lizard Combatant posted:

006 was Sean Bean

And in that movie, he dies TWICE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome