Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

You see him tear open his shins during the left. drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

notZaar posted:

Looks to me like he's just smearing the blood that was already on his shins.

Seems like a lot of blood to smear, the stuff on the lower part is kind of dry already.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Sometimes when I squat I get bruises in a line across my shoulders. Should I invest in pussy pad.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Only got 2 out of 5 reps on a 4 plate deadlift. Which swole god did I offend to be stuck as this weak beta forever?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Top City Homo posted:

very well actually

i can do 10 now from a standing position

Are you supposed to be able to go out the same distance while standing? I can do 5x12 kneeling no problem but I can't even do 1 rep standing if I try to extend out the same distance.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Costco fat free Greek yogurt (25g protein 5g sugar) and whey powder.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I'm 195 and I can see abs if I flex. Can you not see anything at all or do you just mean your abs aren't chiseled?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Haha what in the gently caress is this?

"Abusing whey protein and the like can also put gym goers at risk for other health problems such as body dysmorphic disorder, also known as muscle dysmorphia, and related body image disorders."

Do I also abuse water when I hydrate before/during workouts?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

BoonyPC posted:

man legs and shoulders just took me 1hr 40mins, old and slow

Two sets of 5x5 can take me almost an hour and a half if I factor in warmup time. Lifting is hard.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

notZaar posted:

That seems a little excessive. Allowing 5 minutes between sets (which is drat long) and at most 60 seconds to complete a set, that's 25 minutes for one extremely difficult 5x5.

I do 3-4 minutes between each set and yeah, heavy squats. Probably not super heavy for you forum SUPER STARS but 3 plates at 5x5 is pretty heavy to me.

Speaking of squats it's fine to leave your rear end a couple inches above the ground right? I have trouble stopping at parallel with heavy weights and can only go rear end to grass.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
It feels harder and uncomfortable. I mean I don't drop like a rock to the bottom but I find I come to a natural stop when I can't physically go any lower.

Like I feel like I can do more weight going lower, which seems like the opposite of everyone else.

E: Just took a measurement, I'm about 4-5 inches from the ground.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 10, 2015

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

nnnotime posted:

If you have problems getting past parallel

This is the opposite of my problem.

turbomoose posted:

Sounds fine as long as you're under control the whole way. I mean I could see you pulling something if you just do that without any warm up or anything but past that I don't think it's a big deal.

Yeah, I always do 20-25 reps of warm up starting with the bar and going up to around 90% of my working weight.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Dang, only managed to squat 3 reps of 350. Beta forever.

Nailed 5 reps of 150 OHP and 405 deads though. I feel a little better about myself.

My self worth is measured by how much stuff I can pick up.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 15, 2015

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

ZombieParts posted:

assholes with ipads occupying my machines making me use freeweights

They are doing you a favor.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Gaz2k21 posted:

My squat and my deadlift were getting pretty close to be fair.

155kg squat
170kg deadlift

Those seem like pretty reasonable numbers, I do almost the exact same thing.

345lb squats and 405lb deadlift.

ExRx says a 185kg deadlift is roughly comparable to a 155kg squat.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 18, 2015

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Do you just do double overhand grip with no chalk or something?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I'm starting to stall on deadlifts and squats on the Texas Method. Should I switch to 5/3/1?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Cleaning 300 is a fuckton harder than deadlifting 405.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Started 5/3/1 this week.

Trip report: accessory work is by far the hardest part.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
One of my shoulders clicks when I do pull ups. Is that bad?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I think the latter? I'm not sure what either is suppose to sound or feel like.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I did 50 reps of 80lb OHP accessory work today. I couldn't feel my shoulders at the end.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Borden posted:

I've been doing crossfit for a few months. Been losing weight and getting in shape, but they're super big on lifting heavy quickly. Is there any advantage to doing stuff like deadlifts and cleans quickly compared to just doing them regularly? Cause I find my form falls apart when I'm racing the clock.

Please don't troll.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Retarded Goatee posted:

I enjoy lifting heavy weights 5 or 6 days a week and it has turned me from a fat gay baby to a not-so-fat less gay baby

Your gay is going the wrong way, baby.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Haven't done any cardio in two months, went for a 40 mile bike ride today. How many weeks of gains did I lose?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
What the gently caress is a wife.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
How many reps do you need on the last set of 5/3/1 in order to not be considered a failure? Your training max is 90% of your 1RM which is comparable to a 5RM right? So you would need to do something like 7 reps at 95% of your TM/5RM for it to be considered an improvement?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
So is the idea that you progress until your training max isn't actually 90% of your 1RM? I finished my first cycle a couple weeks ago and I got 5 reps in on squats at 335, that's 95% of 350. But 350 is what my 5RM is so it feels like that shouldn't really count as progress.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah I think I had an off day. Did 297.5x10 today and felt pretty decent.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Doing 5x10 after my main lift for 5/3/1 makes me want to die. Gonna be a swole rear end skellington.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Biked 55 miles and got massive debilitating quad cramps on hills at the end. I have a vitamin D deficiency apparently.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I've been biking for 5 years and I've always been limited by legs so I think that's pretty normal. Do make sure your seat is raised high enough though. You should be able to almost completely straighten your leg when sitting on your bike and you should not be able to touch the ground with your feet.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Ruined my workout because I am an enormous idiot and misracked the plates. Too bad getting swole does not make you any smarter.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Took some creatine and got an extra rep in on my bench. Also finished all my sets for my 5x10 OHP for the first time ever. Creatine p cool.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
We all know that important knowledge is stored in your muscles.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Not sure what's harder, the main 5/3/1 workout or the supplemental work. Squat 5x325lb and then deadlifted 245x50. Guess I didn't need a back anyways.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yes but the opposite. All these muscles do not make me smarter.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Chinatown posted:

man/woman buddies who do the same poo poo and just rotate and take up a bunch of freeweights. im in a smaller office complex gym so its not a big floorplan n poo poo

What the gently caress. Just lift them up and remove them from the the gym.

PRed today with 4 reps at 237.5 on bench. 5/3/1 is a good program.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Pesmerga posted:

Shoulders suck. I've got an 80kg for reps bench press and I can barely manage 5 reps of 40kg on OHP

That doesn't seem that unreasonable of a difference. OHP is just hard as heck. I benched 245lbx4 last week and could only do 165x3 on OHP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Nate Falls posted:

Same. My bench 1RM is 300lbs and I'm not sure if I've ever managed 135lbs on OHP. Shoulders are a god drat mystery to me.

Um, wow that actually is a huge difference. Do you just have no muscles above the chest?

• Locked thread