Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

The wait is over.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/29/world/middleeast/jonathan-pollard-spy-for-israel-to-be-released-on-parole-in-november.html

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/u-s-grants-parole-israeli-spy-jonathan-pollard-n399836

From the NBC article:

>The board's decision requires Pollard to remain in the U.S. for five years after his release, and his lawyers said they had found housing and employment for him in New York. But they called on President Obama to allow him to leave prison early and move to Israel immediately.

>"We respectfully urge the President to exercise his clemency power in this manner."

Your thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
gently caress that guy he should rot in federal prison until he dies.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Joe Biden also famously opposed releasing Pollard, though most of the links I could find with a quick "joe biden jonathan pollard" Google search were from the Israeli press.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Zeroisanumber posted:

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

Zeroisanumber posted:

He probably rotted a little after 29 years in federal prison.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I wouldn't give it a poo poo, but Pollard's imprisonment pisses off the terrible nationalist Israelis so gently caress him.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
My thought is death to spies.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Who's the loving superpower here?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

McDowell posted:

Who's the loving superpower here?

AIPAC, obviously.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
Can someone give/link me some details about Pollard? He was before my time and google's just telling me "he gave info to Israel and Netanyahu likes him".

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Rollofthedice posted:

Can someone give/link me some details about Pollard? He was before my time and google's just telling me "he gave info to Israel and Netanyahu likes him".

That's pretty much it. Wikipedia is as good a source as any for the basics.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Rollofthedice posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Pollard#Espionage

he worked for the navy and sold military secrets to israel (as well as other interested parties)

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Darkman Fanpage posted:

My thought is death to spies.

Or at least not a traitor's hero's welcome.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
His release has to be part of the Iran deal. The timing is too convenient. :tinfoil:

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot
Something tells me this is the ball massage israel got in exchange for the iran thing. I guess this means at least 50% of kirschen's cartoon material is over with so expect more cartoons about how palestinians are literal animals and arabs are stinky people that hate the jews ad nauseum.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

peengers posted:

so expect more cartoons about how palestinians are literal animals and arabs are stinky people that hate the jews ad nauseum.

We already get that though?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I wish I could throw a nuclear bitchfit every time something didn't go my way and get results like this

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Rollofthedice posted:

Pollard was just a spy, what really pissed off the US is that instead of apologizing and hushing it all up like most countries do when their spies get caught, Israel instead decided to strut around like the guy was a loving national hero and deserved a medal. There were senior Israeli politicoes who were going and visiting the guy in prison, and for years Israel has been pissing and moaning about our continued imprisonment of a man who wasn't even a loving Israeli citizen when he was caught.

MrQwerty posted:

I wish I could throw a nuclear bitchfit every time something didn't go my way and get results like this

That's at least one heartening thing about the past couple decades, is that "gently caress Jonathon Pollard and gently caress your whining about our imprisonment of an American citizen convicted of spying on America" has generally been a pretty bipartisan position in Washington. Israel's been crying about his imprisonment for years and never got anywhere with either Democrats or Republicans. Guaranteed the only reason he's coming out now is to try to get the Israeli government to shut up about Iran, but I bet those ingrates won't last a week before going back to yelling about how we've totally destroyed their security by deciding we didn't want to just grind Iran into permanent poverty.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

MrQwerty posted:

Israel sells American intelligence to hostile foreign powers with no consequences all the time, it's only fair that this guy should be able to as well

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Zeroisanumber posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Twenty-nine years is long enough prison for pretty much any crime. Good for Pollard.

Sethik
Oct 23, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

Israel sells American intelligence to hostile foreign powers with no consequences all the time, it's only fair that this guy should be able to as well

Can you provide a source for this? I haven't heard that before.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Sethik posted:

Can you provide a source for this? I haven't heard that before.

Well there's the time they offered to sell nukes to apartheid South Africa

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Africa_and_weapons_of_mass_destruction#Alleged_collaboration_with_Israel

Besides that they've sold military technology to China and are one of the largest arms exporters in the world generally

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China%E2%80%93Israel_relations#Military_cooperation

I'm about to go to bed so I don't have more but basically the idea that Israel is a faithful US ally is a great exaggeration at best and the Israelis have played us for suckers for decades

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why does the US have such a major hard on for this particular belligerent middle-eastern nation anyway?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

OwlFancier posted:

Why does the US have such a major hard on for this particular belligerent middle-eastern nation anyway?

Some combination of "the Israeli lobby is extraordinarily strong and there is no real counterbalance", "evangelicals like Israel for their own weird reasons", "gently caress muslims am I right", and maaaaybe a perception that US interests are well served by keeping the Arab world weak and fractious and Israel's dickery in that direction is more worthwhile than the considerable downsides of supporting them in all things.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

OwlFancier posted:

There's a lot of reason to support them (influential lobby, lots of money) and not a lot of reason to oppose them (there are no Muslims with an influential lobby and lots of money that's not tied to the Bushes).

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I personally am waiting for MIGF to tell us that Israel is a unique example of Western liberal democracy in the Middle East, they are a brave underdog who appeals to the US voter and also that it's America's way of attoning for the terrible anti-semitism the Western world has always shown and thus opposing Israel is taking an anti-semitic stand against liberal democracy.

Which is always fascinating coming from a guy who spends all his other posts talking about the importance of political realities and realpolitik and how politicians can't and shouldn't take some blanket moral stand on an issue. I still can't quite tell if it's some particular political persona he's adopted, a hilarious satire on the essential hypocrisy of insider thinking in Washington regarding foreign policy or just taking strongly contrarian positions for the sake of eliciting responses from other posters.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I wonder what employment Pollard found and if it'll be at a company with secrets to sell to the highest bidder.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Eh, can't get mad because somebody got to leave the American prison system. Good for him.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

MrNemo posted:

Which is always fascinating coming from a guy who spends all his other posts talking about the importance of political realities and realpolitik and how politicians can't and shouldn't take some blanket moral stand on an issue. I still can't quite tell if it's some particular political persona he's adopted, a hilarious satire on the essential hypocrisy of insider thinking in Washington regarding foreign policy or just taking strongly contrarian positions for the sake of eliciting responses from other posters.

How can you not tell this on the somethingawful.com dying comedy forums

botany posted:

Eh, can't get mad because somebody got to leave the American prison system. Good for him.

Pretty much. Also hopefully he's allowed to gently caress off to Israel rather than sit around on parole that no one expects him to violate but we have to pay for and talk about because reasons.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
gently caress him. And gently caress his little cheerleader Kirschen too.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
Fry Jonathan Pollard.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

botany posted:

Yeah this is how I feel. He's been in prison for a significant portion of his life.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!
Of all the people in US prisons he's one of the few who should actually be there.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Abner Cadaver II posted:

Of all the people in US prisons he's one of the few who should actually be there.

Why? He's clearly not a danger to society, and he can't exactly go back to spying now that everybody knows who he is. Outside of retributive justice, there is no coherent reason that I can see for why he should be locked up.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

botany posted:

Why? He's clearly not a danger to society, and he can't exactly go back to spying now that everybody knows who he is. Outside of retributive justice, there is no coherent reason that I can see for why he should be locked up.

Deterrence for one.

"Spy for Israel, we'll pay you out the rear end and if you get caught we will bitch, moan, put you in our history textbooks and if you get out we will give you a hero's welcome".

Edit: Still it's his time to get out anyway, doesn't much matter.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Deterrence is a lovely basis for imprisonment, not just because it doesn't work but also because it's unfair toward individuals to punish them not for what they have done but to make a statement. You're basically saying that Pollard deserves to remain locked up because freeing him would look politically inconvenient. That's not justice.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

botany posted:

Deterrence is a lovely basis for imprisonment, not just because it doesn't work but also because it's unfair toward individuals to punish them not for what they have done but to make a statement. You're basically saying that Pollard deserves to remain locked up because freeing him would look politically inconvenient. That's not justice.

I think you are confusing common criminality with treason. Making the risks and costs of treason too great to consider is an effective deterrent when your country's experience with espionage has largely focused on financial gain.

But his 30 year sentence is up so not much point arguing about it.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

botany posted:

Deterrence is a lovely basis for imprisonment, not just because it doesn't work

Deterrence works with certain crimes better than others. For example deterrence has more effect on economical crimes where persons doing them usually calculate risk/reward incentives more rationally than homicides where guy who gets blackout drunk ends up stabbing his drinking partner. Espionage and treason usually are closer to former type of crime than latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

botany posted:

Because the penalty for treason is death, or life in a box. Aldrich Ames and Robert Hanssen aren't likely to cause much harm either, but neither of them are ever going to see the light of day.

This is exacerbated by the fact that the Israeli right holds Pollard in such high regard that for a while they made pilgrimages to his cell, hired him the same lawyer that the guy who killed Rabin used, and accused us of anti-Semitism for keeping him in jail.

• Locked thread