Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Vladimir Putin posted:

Can you reconcile this view with the Edward Snowden case?

Whistleblowing is sorta the same thing, but your own government wants you dead.

Also death to spies. And anyone else deserving of the death penalty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Vladimir Putin posted:

What's to reconcile? He says specifically:

quote:

except in the case that he released it to the public on the basis that it was in the public interest.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Vladimir Putin posted:

Not terribly familiar with Snowden but he leaked information about the NSA's monitoring of US citizen's communication as I recall? And he leaked it to the public on (presumably) the basis that it was in the public interest?

While it is certainly breaking the law, I would suggest that it would be a case where judicial discretion should be applied and his sentence reduced or potentially waived in light of the manifestly public-serving nature of his actions. He stood to gain rather less from it than society at large. It does not appear to be an action intent on damaging society for the betterment of the individual, rather it appears to be more the other way around, thus making it far less morally reprehensible.

Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011

CSPAN Caller posted:

That's just one end of the reward/punishment spectrum and it ignores the perceived likelihood of that consequence happening. You could get away with selling secrets and live like a king in Israel. You could get caught, get a pretty light sentence, and move to Israel to live off a generous stipend. Worst case, you could get caught, spend decades in jail like Pollard, while your family prospers in Israel and you're treated by the Israeli right as a hero.

Selling state secrets is also the type of crime that has a potential to result in great harm to society. I see no downside to erring on the side of being extremely harsh with punishments because anything that even slightly reduces the chances of someone making this kind of decision has the potential for greatly reducing potential harm.

I just don't think a death sentence fixes these things. Pressuring Israel to not celebrate loving over a close friend would do more than killing some old, sickly dude.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Zanzibar Ham posted:

But you will commit treason since you'll "only" end up in prison for 30 years? That's a bit more than I've been alive.

Well I'd definitely try to avoid it but at least I wont be dead if I get caught.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

drilldo squirt posted:

Well I'd definitely try to avoid it but at least I wont be dead if I get caught.

Cool, too bad this says nothing because you could say that about any crime. 'gee, if jaywalking carried a death sentence I'd sure do it less often!'

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Redgrendel2001 posted:

He was a pretty bad dude and an unrepentant, pathological liar. IIRC the FBI interviewed hundreds of people from throughout his life and not a single one could recall him mentioning Israel, Judaism, etc. Also, the SIGINT stuff he sold wasn't just a bunch of random info, it was incredibly dangerous material. From the Kaplan's article...

I think you're remembering that wrong, because the Hersh piece says he went on a trip to Israel when he was younger and then bragged to everyone about how he was a secret Mossad agent.

Not that his motivations were the same as Snowden or Manning, but people made the same harming national security argument for them, and it's clear they did not. All three harmed the self-perpetuating national security industrial complex state, but didn't actually make Americans less safe in any way whatsoever.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Kim Jong Il posted:

I think you're remembering that wrong, because the Hersh piece says he went on a trip to Israel when he was younger and then bragged to everyone about how he was a secret Mossad agent.

Not that his motivations were the same as Snowden or Manning, but people made the same harming national security argument for them, and it's clear they did not. All three harmed the self-perpetuating national security industrial complex state, but didn't actually make Americans less safe in any way whatsoever.

You're absolutely correct. I couldn't find the article that I was hazily remembering so I went to the NSA damage assesment PDF and it's right at the beginning. My bad.

quote:

For example, although Pollard earned a 3.5 grade point average as a
Stanford undergraduate from 1972-76~ former student acquaintances
told investigators that he bragged about his role as a Mossad agent
and, on one occasion, waved a pistol in the air and screamed that
everyone was out to get him. Pollard's fantasies regarding
involvement with clandestine US and Israeli intelligence operations
continued during his employment with US naval intelligence from
1979 to 1985.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Cool, too bad this says nothing because you could say that about any crime. 'gee, if jaywalking carried a death sentence I'd sure do it less often!'

People will do things less if their is a chance that they will be murdered if they are caught, jaywalking is an example of this.

Edit: Treason is another example.

drilldo squirt fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 4, 2015

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Redgrendel2001 posted:

You're absolutely correct. I couldn't find the article that I was hazily remembering so I went to the NSA damage assesment PDF and it's right at the beginning. My bad.

How did none of this throw up a red flag that maybe he shouldn't be given any kind of security clearance

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

drilldo squirt posted:

People will do things less if their is a chance that they will be murdered if they are caught, jaywalking is an example of this.

Edit: Treason is another example.

At least you admit it would be murder.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Zanzibar Ham posted:

At least you admit it would be murder.

If you agree that execution is more effective than 30 years in prison in keeping people from committing treason, what are you arguing?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

drilldo squirt posted:

If you agree that execution is more effective than 30 years in prison in keeping people from committing treason, what are you arguing?

That execution is wrong.

e: also I'm not entirely sure it would deter better than a 30 year sentence, as most people who commit treason don't think they'll be caught

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

US set to free Israel spy Jonathan Pollard

Jonathan Pollard, an American convicted of spying for Israel, is set to be freed on parole from a US prison.

The former US Navy intelligence officer, now 61, was caught selling classified documents in 1985 and given a life sentence two years later.

Campaigners and successive Israeli governments have tried to secure Pollard's early release.

The case has been one of the most contentious issues between the two countries for the past 30 years.

Pollard has been serving his sentence at a prison in North Carolina. His parole terms bar him from leaving the US without permission for five years.

He has said he wants to move to Israel to be reunited with his second wife.

Last year it was reported that the US was considering freeing Pollard in exchange for concessions from Israel to the Palestinians amid faltering peace talks.
End of a saga - by Yolande Knell, BBC News, Jerusalem

In Israel, Jonathan Pollard has many supporters who will joyfully welcome his release. He's widely perceived as having been harshly punished for providing information critical to national security.

For years, a Free Pollard campaign has lobbied to try to secure the release of the former intelligence analyst. It has prepared piles of letters of encouragement from members of the public for him to read once he is out of jail.

The Pollard saga has been a long-time strain on relations with Israel's closest ally and there is relief that it is almost over. However the cabinet was instructed not to talk about the ex-spy too soon for fear of upsetting Washington. On Army Radio the Economy Minister, Naftali Bennett, simply referred to how Israelis "embrace him".
Image copyright AP
Image caption Pollard is set to be released from a prison in North Carolina

Pollard's lawyers said earlier this year that they had found employment and accommodation for their client in the New York area, but gave no further details.

At the time of his arrest, Pollard said he gave classified documents to Israel, a key US ally, because Washington was not passing on important information.

However, some intelligence officials have said that he also offered information to other countries.

Israel initially denied Pollard had spied for them. However, in 1996, Israel made Pollard a citizen and two years later officials admitted he was their agent.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34876060

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

However, he is being prevented from going to Israel :smuggo:

But the Israeli Government has already said they will get him funds and a house :smith:

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
He's served his time and I wish him well in the future :)

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
gently caress this guy with a pineapple.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'd like to see people spinning his release as a victory, in spite of him spending every day of his sentence.

bitey
Jul 13, 2003

Tell the truth and run.
Before he took money from Israel, Pollard evidently hawked the classified info to China and Pakistan and possibly others. There were no buyers other than Israel, as far as we know.

Every country that rebuffed him learned something anyway. The information he was selling could be bought, perhaps through other compromised US personnel, and perhaps for less money.

Arguably, Snowden and Manning acted out of conscience. Pollard, a promiscuous information salesman, cannot make this claim.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
He's a goddamn hero is what he is. :911butIsraelw/cryingBibi:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
What I want to know is what else is the Dry Bones guy going to make comics about when he can't think of a new way to say "kill all Arabs".

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Who What Now posted:

What I want to know is what else is the Dry Bones guy going to make comics about when he can't think of a new way to say "kill all Arabs".

He would probably advance to political violence and restart that war? It's doubtful it could ever end any other way.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
It ain't over yet: Pollard's lawyers say they'll appeal 'unreasonable, unlawful' parole terms. Features a cameo by D&D's favorite lawyer and law professor.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

:lol: That anybody in those comments demand we stop spying on Israel. loving keep this guy locked in a house.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Who What Now posted:

That point will come two or three hours after the heat death of the universe, so I don't think Kirschen's got anything to worry about.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Who do we compare Pollard to in pop culture so people born in the after 1985 can understand this situation? Burke from Aliens? Huey from Metal Gear?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Zayn Malik from one direction?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
George R. R. Martin.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I say let him go to Israel, maybe a rocket will land on his house.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Casimir Radon posted:

Probably not, US funded Iron Dome and all. Maybe he can shoot a Palestinian.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Probably not, US funded Iron Dome and all. Maybe he can shoot a Palestinian.
Oops, sorry guys, software bug.

That or the condition can be that he has to live in Gaza.

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.

bitey posted:

Before he took money from Israel, Pollard evidently hawked the classified info to China and Pakistan and possibly others. There were no buyers other than Israel, as far as we know.

Every country that rebuffed him learned something anyway. The information he was selling could be bought, perhaps through other compromised US personnel, and perhaps for less money.

Arguably, Snowden and Manning acted out of conscience. Pollard, a promiscuous information salesman, cannot make this claim.

Hell, why isnt Mordechai Vanunu brought up more often?

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Casimir Radon posted:

There seems to be a lot of confusion about being paroled vs pardoned. If he's been paroled then he can't leave the country lawfully. See for instance the end of Shawshank redemption.

Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011
There's no confusion, he's on parole and can't travel, use a computer, or give interviews.

A pardon would signify he is forgiven. That's not the case.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

54.4 crowns posted:

Hell, why isnt Mordechai Vanunu brought up more often?

Pretty soon Pollard is gonna be freer than Vanunu which is nuts (actually he really already is come to think of it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

Skeesix posted:

There seems to be a lot of confusion about being paroled vs pardoned. If he's been paroled then he can't leave the country lawfully. See for instance the end of Shawshank redemption.

This is not true, when you are on parole you are allowed to travel assuming your PO knows exactly when and where you are going and approves it ahead of time.

• Locked thread