Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

And in general that is part of why I oppose the death penalty. But to my knowledge his case has been proven to an exceptional degree of surety.

I also don't think, given who he is and what is crime was, that there is much chance of changing his mind even with a more reform-based prison system, which on the whole would be an excellent idea. He was an affluent and educated man who decided he wasn't wealthy enough and/or that he didn't have an obligation to society, and thus it was OK to attempt to destabilise and damage that society for personal gain.

I would suggest the word "sociopath" may be accurately applied here. Whether he feels sorry is irrelevant, other than as a function of preventing him from causing further damage and extracting some constructive use from him. As he seems disinclined to work to repay his debt (which he hasn't paid simply by being in prison, he has accumulated more debt because he is costing society money by being in prison) and apparently sees nothing wrong with his actions to begin with, I would suggest that it is, at this point, entirely prudent to either not release him, or just kill him if that would be cheaper and spend the money you would have spent keeping him locked up forever on something more useful like social projects.

How do you define what's an 'exceptional degree of surety' (again, in general, not in Pollard's case)? How are you so sure a more rehabilitative system wouldn't have gotten Pollard to feel sorry? While I can accept keeping a person jailed until he shows that he's remorseful (which could be forever if he never rehabilitates depending on the severity of the crime), just killing them opens the gate to innocents getting wrongfully executed. And IIRC executing someone costs more than life in prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
The only time that man should have been allowed out of that cell is right before we loaded him into a cannon and shot him into the sun.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Plus it seems like we traded him for peace with Iran and not-war in the middle east. Seems like an good call.

If that were so then that would be a good reason to hang onto him until now and also to release him. If he won't serve society of his own free will he can at least serve as currency.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

How do you define what's an 'exceptional degree of surety' (again, in general, not in Pollard's case)? How are you so sure a more rehabilitative system wouldn't have gotten Pollard to feel sorry? While I can accept keeping a person jailed until he shows that he's remorseful (which could be forever if he never rehabilitates depending on the severity of the crime), just killing them opens the gate to innocents getting wrongfully executed. And IIRC executing someone costs more than life in prison.

Execution being very expensive is another good argument against the death penalty as it stands and I agree with it. I was more talking hypothetically.

Frankly in general I would probably suggest not having a general legal basis for it. As you say it's something rather open to abuse, possibly something like a customary presidential order or something which has to be publicised so that people know when it happens and to discourage its frequent use.

Conceivably if you're dealing with very small numbers of people you may be better off foregoing the death penalty and just accepting that some few assholes are going to spend their entire lives sponging off society. Mostly it just seems irritatingly inefficient, but it may possibly be less so than accepting the loss.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 30, 2015

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Again, there is no reason to assume that this has anything to do with the Iran deal, unless some of you think Obama somehow synchronized the nuclear negotiations so that their resolution would coincide with Pollard's 30-year mark, when he would have been up for parole, anyway. I mean, if you have evidence that suggests that this is more than a coincidence, go ahead, otherwise this is sounding a lot like a conspiracy theory to me.

I'll repost this in case any of you missed it:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The timing seems to be entirely coincidental:

---

WASHINGTON — In July 2014, after Jonathan J. Pollard had served 29 years of a life sentence for spying on behalf of Israel, his hopes for freedom were thwarted when a federal panel denied his request for parole.

But that hearing set in motion an intense scramble by lawyers for Mr. Pollard to ensure a different result a year later, when he would be eligible for parole after serving 30 years. They wrote letters, cited statistics and introduced evidence that their client met two legal standards for parole: that he had behaved well in prison, and that he posed no threat of returning to a life of espionage.

On Tuesday, the effort finally succeeded, as the United States Parole Commission announced that Mr. Pollard, 60, met the legal standards and would be released just before Thanksgiving.

But Mr. Pollard’s lawyers and American officials insisted Tuesday that the parole decision was not an effort to ease friction between Mr. Netanyahu and President Obama over the agreement that world powers reached this month with Iran to curb its nuclear program. Mr. Netanyahu has said the deal will lead Iran to construct a nuclear weapon.

Secretary of State John Kerry, who testified before Congress on Tuesday on the Iran deal, told reporters after the hearing that there was no connection between Mr. Pollard’s parole and the agreement. “I haven’t even had a conversation about it,” he said.

Longtime observers of the Iran negotiations said it would have been a mistake for Mr. Obama to try to connect Mr. Pollard’s release to the nuclear deal, especially since the fate of four Americans who are being held prisoner in Iran is not addressed by the agreement.

“Any perception that an Israeli spy was released as a result of the Iran deal and not the Americans in Iranian jails would have been a P.R. disaster,” said Aaron David Miller, a former Middle East adviser to Democratic and Republican administrations. “Netanyahu would have had to protest even harder against the agreement to make sure nobody thought he was being bought off.”

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot
Many of you think I am okay with what he did, I am not. But I feel that 30 years is long enough for just about anyone short of true monsters like Ted Bundy and Charles Manson. Even Anders Brevik gets a parole hearing after 11 years and he killed 80 something people. That was in another country of course but I think it is a model that we should follow here.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mandy Thompson posted:

Many of you think I am okay with what he did, I am not. But I feel that 30 years is long enough for just about anyone short of true monsters like Ted Bundy and Charles Manson. Even Anders Brevik gets a parole hearing after 11 years and he killed 80 something people. That was in another country of course but I think it is a model that we should follow here.

You'd best consult with your buddy god first. That guy was pretty cool with capital punishment.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Gravel Gravy posted:

You're trying to draw a connection between a person robbing a convenience store multiple times to treason.

He wasn't convicted of treason.

Edit: Also treason has a minimum sentence of only 5 years.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Mandy Thompson posted:

And Breivik will, barring something borderline miraculous occurring, be returned to prison after each of his hearings because he is as close to a monster as we've seen lately. The hearings he is entitled to will, in all likelihood, be pro forma affairs wherein everyone conclude that, yes, he's still a remorseless bastard who should never see the light of day again. And yes, before you say it, Pollard isn't a literal mass murderer (or from Israel despite what you ham-handedly tried to imply), but his crime is still staggeringly repellant.

Also it's 21 years 'till his first hearing, not 11

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot
ah, sorry, 21 years.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Mandy Thompson posted:

I'd consider someone who sells state secrets for their own profit to be a true monster honestly

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
Counterpoint: Affordably priced Jonathan Pollard

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

:ironicat:

Know who else doesn't show remorse for trying to sell state secrets?

The problem with your logic here is that Pollard won't ever be in a situation where he even has the opportunity to sell state secrets again. It's only really equivalent to a situation where you have a 100% guarantee that a murderer won't kill again, etc.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Does the aspect of general detterence come into American parole decisions? Because then I'd argue that it is important to keep people like Pollard and Snowden locked up in order to deter future information leaks.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Randler posted:

Does the aspect of general detterence come into American parole decisions? Because then I'd argue that it is important to keep people like Pollard and Snowden locked up in order to deter future information leaks.

You'll find that skin color is the most important factor in the American prison system . :downsgun:

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Darkman Fanpage posted:

To be fair the information Ames and Hanssen provided the Soviet Union/Russia compromised a lot of CIA agents working in the field. If I remember correctly Pollard's intel didn't compromise any operations or operatives.
This was my thinking too. Pollard was a shithead but he's not directly responsible for deaths, so he served an appropriate amount of time.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot
There is a reason they call it the justice system and have a blind lady with scales outside the courthouse and not the national security system with a statue of Jay Edgar Hoover wiretapping a hippie outside the courthouse.

CSPAN Caller
Oct 16, 2012
The justice system should entirely concern itself with determining the mass of various materials. This is literally what that statue is telling us to do.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Davethulhu posted:

Counterpoint: Affordably priced Jonathan Pollard

Filthy acts at a reasonable price.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
I hope he gets released as soon as possible, and I also hope that he wanders out of the prison gates into the path of an 18 wheeler.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

CSPAN Caller posted:

The justice system should entirely concern itself with determining the mass of various materials. This is literally what that statue is telling us to do.

Funny you should mention that, the reason that scales are a symbol of justice is that screwing around with measurements the actual masses of various objects historically was a way for unscrupulous people to gently caress people over.

https://youtu.be/x2vGUUnxJr8?t=5m10s

The creation of a unit of weights was critical to the creation of trade, and by extension civil society and then by extension, justice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2vGUUnxJr8

time 9:00

ozmunkeh posted:

I hope he gets released as soon as possible, and I also hope that he wanders out of the prison gates into the path of an 18 wheeler.

fair enough

Mandy Thompson fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 31, 2015

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008
Oh my JIDF is in full force today. Pollard should remain in prison for the rest of his life. We should not tolerate acts of espionage and treason because to do so invites more opportunity for thise acts to occur. Also we should cut all ties with the terrorist state of Isreal too imo.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure people are ecstatic that if they're caught spying they'll only get 30 years + parole. I know I'm moving to the US to commit treason over there right now.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Zanzibar Ham posted:

This is called a line drawing fallacy, there are most certainly cases where the actions are not in question at all (Colorado theater shooting). Financial cost is a terrible way to go about the argument in general, I'm not sure why it's such a popular one.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

tsa posted:

This is called a line drawing fallacy, there are most certainly cases where the actions are not in question at all (Colorado theater shooting). Financial cost is a terrible way to go about the argument in general, I'm not sure why it's such a popular one.

How is this a fallacy? How do you define it in such a way so it won't be abused?

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

His Purple Majesty posted:

Oh my JIDF is in full force today. Pollard should remain in prison for the rest of his life. We should not tolerate acts of espionage and treason because to do so invites more opportunity for thise acts to occur. Also we should cut all ties with the terrorist state of Isreal too imo.

I'm not the JIDF, I am actually quite hostile to Israel.

I am also hostile to the prison system

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I'm really surprised, I thought most D&Ders were against the death penalty.

Until it's Che Guevara ordering the executions, or Israel is involved.

Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011
I don't think Israel spying in the abstract is particularly heinous. America spies on it's allies and has been spied on by other allies before. It's a natural product of building up these institutions of paranoid data collectors who are trained and funded to break the rules. Big deal.

The issue is more that Israel then potentially sold intel to a US enemy and, when caught, tried to play the spy as a martyr. They enabled a dangerous idiot when they should have just turned him over. When you gently caress over a major ally, you should apologize. Instead, Likud and the other nutjobs tried to continue the dumb charade where America is both Israel's greatest friend and also a hotbed of anti-semitism just itching to persecute it's most successful minority.

Does anyone know if the Australians who Pollard approached ever tried to turn him in? How do you turn a spy trying to sell you stuff down, but not go back and rat him out? I don't think I've ever heard much on that angle of the story.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

There's really no problem with him getting out after 30 years. The only problem is that once he is out he'll be able to profit from his crime thanks to his status as a "hero."

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Last Buffalo posted:

I don't think Israel spying in the abstract is particularly heinous. America spies on it's allies and has been spied on by other allies before. It's a natural product of building up these institutions of paranoid data collectors who are trained and funded to break the rules. Big deal.

I expect that all of our allies spy on us, and vice-versa.

US citizens that aid foreign states in spying on the US are traitors though. I can see an argument for mitigating the punishment if spying on behalf of an ally, but not against punishment altogether.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

OwlFancier posted:

I'm against the death penalty and prison for a great many crimes but that is because they are demonstrably unhelpful in dealing with them, and serve only to mask the social causes of the crimes and increase the amount of suffering those social problems cause, not only to the victims but also the perpetrators.

However I have no particular objection to just killing people who are sufficiently aberrant as to attack wider society without any justifiable reason.

So it basically comes down to I support the death penalty for people whom I think deserves the death penalty.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Israel spying is henioues because it's a state run by literal fascists that get elected to office on the platform of keeping the untermensch suppressed. Israel has been loving the U.S. over constantly for years and I fail to see how letting Pollard go does anything but continue the trend of ignoring Israel loving us over. Who cares if they get upset about the Iranian deal? What are they going to do? Invade the U.S.?

Contray to what people might think there is extremely little love for Israel in the executive branch and even the Jewish community in American thinks Nutty Yahoo is a piece of poo poo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Typo posted:

So it basically comes down to I support the death penalty for people whom I think deserves the death penalty.

I oppose the death penalty in all cases when it is counterproductive, which is the vast majority of them. I have no inherent objection to the death penalty. Deserve or not is rather irrelevant, what matters is whether particular responses to crime are useful in maintaining an orderly society within a reasonable degree of expense.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

OwlFancier posted:

I oppose the death penalty in all cases when it is counterproductive, which is the vast majority of them. I have no inherent objection to the death penalty. Deserve or not is rather irrelevant, what matters is whether particular responses to crime are useful in maintaining an orderly society within a reasonable degree of expense.

So you are pro-death penalty.

I mean, it's not an inherently indefensible position, but let's just be clear about this.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Typo posted:

I mean, it's not an inherently indefensible position, but let's just be clear about this.

Life is more nuanced than binary positions. The idea you have to be labeled as pro or against when it comes to everything is toxic as hell.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Venom Snake posted:

Life is more nuanced than binary positions. The idea you have to be labeled as pro or against when it comes to everything is toxic as hell.

But that's what being pro/anti-death penalty and all its implication means though.

People who are for the death penalty tend not to support it in all cases.

People who are anti-death penalty thinks it should never be applied.

It's really not anyone else's fault if you are uncomfortable with your own political opinions.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Typo posted:

But that's what being pro/anti-death penalty and all its implication means though.

People who are for the death penalty tend not to support it in all cases.

People who are anti-death penalty thinks it should never be applied.

It's really not anyone else's fault if you are uncomfortable with your own political opinions.

A person who is for a thing but understands it's limits or a person who is against a thing but understands when it might be nessecary is a much better way of going about thinking of people rather than using lazy short word labels. It's dumbing down of political discourse and reducing everything to black and white helps nobody.

The death penalty is bad, but is can be a necessary evil when it comes to removing awful extremely dangerous people like Pollard. Pollard did what he did 100% for money and he didn't give a single poo poo what happened to anyone who might get hurt by it.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Venom Snake posted:

A person who is for a thing but understands it's limits or a person who is against a thing but understands when it might be nessecary is a much better way of going about thinking of people rather than using lazy short word labels. It's dumbing down of political discourse and reducing everything to black and white helps nobody.

The death penalty is bad, but is can be a necessary evil when it comes to removing awful extremely dangerous people like Pollard. Pollard did what he did 100% for money and he didn't give a single poo poo what happened to anyone who might get hurt by it.

Would you apply the same discourse to:

Rapists
Child murders
Edward Snowden
Bradley/whateverthehellhisorhernameisnow mannings

quote:

The death penalty is bad, but is can be a necessary evil when it comes to removing awful extremely dangerous people like Pollard.

This sort stuff stinks of trying to have your cake and eat it too.

You want to proclaim yourself to be humane but also wants the state to kill people in prison whom you don't like.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Venom Snake posted:

So the next time Germany or Brazil finds someone spying on them for us, you'd be cool if they just killed that person?

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Venom Snake posted:

It's sometimes useful to have a binary distinction. Pro and anti-death penalty are that way. There are some people who trust the state to use the death penalty wisely and well, and others who think that it's corruptive and that if you sanction it, you'll always have abuses of it. I'm definitely in the latter camp. If for some reason you think 'pro' and 'anti' are horrible words here for some bizarre reason, okay, but one group thinks the death penalty is ok to use sometimes and the other group thinks it categorically isn't.

Also, there are shitloads of criminals who did things entirely for the money without giving a single poo poo about anyone who might get hurt. If that's your standard for the death penalty you'll execute a ton of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Typo posted:

No, I am situationally for and against the death penalty.

If "pro death penalty" is accurate because I sometimes don't take issue with it then so is "anti death penalty" because I sometimes oppose it. Neither one is a very good descriptor of the position.

• Locked thread